• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

JSmith

Master Contributor
I know this is most likely just another gimmick-filled DAC, but I've always been curious about this one due to it's cool design language, and positive subjective experiences from their other products: https://www.linsoul.com/products/aune-x8
S8 was reviewed here by Amir and WolfFX, so one would hope the X8 followed a similar design internally;
One difference is the S8 uses the ESS 9038Pro and the X8 9038Q2M.

JSmith

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
S8 was reviewed here by Amir and WolfFX, so one would hope the X8 followed a similar design internally;
One difference is the S8 uses the ESS 9038Pro and the X8 9038Q2M.

JSmith
I did read that some time back. It looks like a competent design and aesthetically it looks great as well.
I'm more interested in some of their slightly "obscure" products like these ones:
or

The DAP seems like it can be a tad too overpriced, although imo that's almost the norm in DAP market these days. I'm more interested in the music server as I rarely see a desktop-class music player being priced like this. The keyword "music server" is usually offered in higher-end brackets.

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
SMSL M500 MkII

Turcoda

just purchased the Musetec 005 DAC. Having it sent to Amir for review. Looking forward to his measurements.
Thanks for your contribution!

I received mine 2 weeks ago and I have mixed feelings about it. It sounds quite different than anything I'm used to, but its been nothing but headaches. I keep having to reset it every hour to fix problems with it. I feed it directly via usb from my pc, and audio just randomly craps out all the time. Thats something thats never happened with any of the many sub 1k$ dacs ive had over the years. I suspect a driver issue but havent been able to fix it, even with firmware updates.

Todd k

Forum Donor
Thanks for your contribution!

I received mine 2 weeks ago and I have mixed feelings about it. It sounds quite different than anything I'm used to, but its been nothing but headaches. I keep having to reset it every hour to fix problems with it. I feed it directly via usb from my pc, and audio just randomly craps out all the time. Thats something thats never happened with any of the many sub 1k$ dacs ive had over the years. I suspect a driver issue but havent been able to fix it, even with firmware updates.
I have the lks 004 dac feed by my aurender thru usb and have had no issues with dropouts. A few audiogon members have had some computer to 005 issues. When I used it for my headphone set up I feed the 004 direct from my laptop and I did not have any problems, I hate driver issues because I’m a computer caveman. I hope that is not an issue for me. I hope u get it straightened out and if u do let us know how you did it.

Wino

I also have an Musetec 005. Thank you for sending it in for testing. I use a Rpi4 picoreplayer and have no issues.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

riker

A measurement of the VMV (SMSL) D1SE and D2 would be really nice. And I guess pre-amp section of DACs (when they have) should be somehow separately tested as it seems some really good DACs can have not so good per-amp which is an important factor.

There are some D1SE reviews, mostly praising but there's absolutely none of the D2 even though it's around for some time now and with dual AKM4499 and dual power it's a pretty promising one, especially at it's price point.
I have one but sending back and forth from EU is anything but simple.

giordy

a high-end valve dac......
but even a low-cost one is fine, as long as it is tube-based

RHO

Major Contributor
a high-end valve dac......
but even a low-cost one is fine, as long as it is tube-based
Why?
If the tube stage ruines the signal, why would you want one?
If the tube stage does nothing audible to the signal, why would you want one?

aatoma

Dongles, dongles, dongles
Starting with Questyle M15, please....
All reviewers are raving about it and specs look great, but: will it measure?

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I repeat. Playback Designs MPD-8 Dream DAC.

Overseas

Major Contributor
It would make sense to measure DACs and not only - equipment that is awarded by EISA each year, that would be of great interest.

ad8e

For DAC measurements:

I would like to see the transition band of the amplitude frequency response, plus a few side lobes. Some DACs have rolloff behavior that is quite bad, with an example here having a super-high transition band.

I would also like to know if phase is linear or not. I encountered a research context in which phase is important, and a minimum phase DAC caused trouble. Phase and amplitude frequency responses are hard to find for many DACs.

Lastly, I would also like to see the impulse response, but this is much less important than the other two. I know the impulse response is easy to draw wrong conclusions from without signals experience. For example, this graph may be a curiosity:

impulse response, intermediate phase.png

This is an "intermediate phase" impulse response. It is clearly asymmetric. What might the frequency response be? If you've seen other intermediate phase impulse responses, you may guess that the phase will suck, as it is trying to sacrifice phase for latency or pre-ripple reduction.
frequency response.png

Both amplitude and phase are flat to Nyquist (at +-1). So the guess is wrong.

This is just a toy example; the window is suboptimal, with Fourier uncertainty of 0.75, compared to the optimum of 0.25. But it is much better than SoX's "intermediate phase" impulse, because SoX seems to have a math or design error. This is a fun feature that the impulse response is able to demonstrate. SoX's intermediate impulse response also reveals the source of its problem; it has nearly no pre-ripple even at -p 45.

The above graphs can be generated with this code in Wolfram Cloud:
Gam[x_] = Piecewise[{{x^1 E^(-x/10) , x > 0}}, 0]; shift = (1)*10; SincS[x_] = Sinc[(x - shift)]; Plot[Gam[x], {x, -1, 80}] Plot[SincS[x], {x, -1, 80}, PlotRange -> Full] Plot[Gam[x] SincS[x], {x, -1, 80}, PlotRange -> Full] FourierGamma[z_] = FourierTransform[Gam[x], x, w] (*ReImPlot[Log[FourierGamma[w]],{w,-4,4}]*) FourierSinc[z_] = FullSimplify[FourierTransform[SincS[x], x, w]] (*ReImPlot[Log[FourierSinc[w]],{w,-4,4}]*) FourierProd[z_] = FullSimplify[Convolve[FourierGamma[w], FourierSinc[w], w, z]] ReImPlot[Log[E^(-I z shift) FourierProd[z]], {z, -4, 4}]

Bleib

Major Contributor
SMSL D-6, possibly the new price / performance king?

Last edited:
Reactions: san
Top Bottom