• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

sajunky

Am I right or wrong to hate TPA6120? FX Audio X6 has them and have rather muddy sound.
It is a current feedback amplifier, different to many others. It should perform well with HP's of impedance 33 Ohm or above. For lower impedances it is a matter of a luck, as damping factor is critically low. As you see on a diagram, the amp requires resistor in series on each output which is around 10-15 Ohms. If you chose lower value, the amp can be unstable.

What they do here, they use a multistage negative feedback across two amps. Amount of this feedback determine reduction of the output resistance. In this example it is a minimum factor of 10 (to achieve 1.2 Ohm as per specs). This feedback is frequency dependent (as you see on the diagram "Gain L/M/H"). I don't know what it is for, but it will cause that output impedance reduction is frequency dependent! They can also run into number of problems we know well from the traditional power amps. This is a cheap way to reduce output impedance, like in the past years it was a cheap way to reduce distortions. It may measure well, but we don't measure all parameters that compose to the sound quality.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

digicidal

Major Contributor
It is also my experience that sonic differences between DACs – even in the same price range – for high-fidelity playback can easily be as drastic as the results of swapping phono cartridges on a turntable.
I'd say that quote, coupled with Amir's measurements of the TotalDAC explains a great deal... and it's likely that all of the ultra high-end DACs will measure quite poorly. They practically have to.

Since transparent is, by definition, inaudible... how do you distinguish your product so that even an untrained listener with deep pockets hears an immediate difference while auditioning at their dealer? By coloring the sound in some way. Of course, if I were doing it - I would do so via defeat-able filters - so it could be measured to be transparent by objectivist reviewers... and then colored for subjectivist reviewers and audiophile customers. :cool:

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, I saw it in the miniDSP newsletter this morning. It ships right now.

I might get one and would be happy to drop ship it to Amir, but I'm in Europe so I don't know if it will be intresting.

Same here, I will probably order one myself as well with that price!

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Hypex DLCP : would love to see this tested.

Context: I had built a DLCP + Hypex UCD Amp set up for Linkwitz Studio. I was never happy about it. Yesterday I replaced the SMS that's driving the Hypex UCDs, and there is an astonishing improvement. DLCP sounds good now.

Veri

Master Contributor

ZeDestructor

I'd say that quote, coupled with Amir's measurements of the TotalDAC explains a great deal... and it's likely that all of the ultra high-end DACs will measure quite poorly. They practically have to.

Since transparent is, by definition, inaudible... how do you distinguish your product so that even an untrained listener with deep pockets hears an immediate difference while auditioning at their dealer? By coloring the sound in some way. Of course, if I were doing it - I would do so via defeat-able filters - so it could be measured to be transparent by objectivist reviewers... and then colored for subjectivist reviewers and audiophile customers. :cool:

While that is certainly one way of doing things, there is also the alternative option of just embracing signal processing as a whole - either via "analog" devices like preamps and speakers/headphones, or via DSP. Once one accepts that signal processing isn't a bad thing, the whole discussion about the DAC/amp section of the source then becomes a trvial matter of just getting as transparent a DAC/amp as possible, rather than all this noise about how DACs and amps sound different from each other.

Yviena

It's just an interface though, I wonder how many of these really need to be measured :) but I guess that same argument can be used for DACs..
True but it will still be nice to know if it measures worse/better than other converters in similar price range.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Asus Essence One MKII
Macbook Pro w/ Touch ID
Apple Lightning to 3.5mm

All built-in audio cards and PC (Macbook) sound will be in 90-100dB THD+N. Even though they will claim superior specs. You can ggl archimago reviews and search this forum for those. Disappointing, to say the least.
Apple Lightning to 3.5mm should be similar to Applie USB to 3.5 dongle. That was measured too.

generalguy

All built-in audio cards and PC (Macbook) sound will be in 90-100dB THD+N. Even though they will claim superior specs. You can ggl archimago reviews and search this forum for those. Disappointing, to say the least.
Apple Lightning to 3.5mm should be similar to Applie USB to 3.5 dongle. That was measured too.
90-100dB THD+N is acceptable for something that's not purpose built since the noise floor at my desk is fairly high. Could always use the apple USB-C dongle for an extra few dB!

Top Bottom