• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Maybe none for a while. A change is as good as a holiday, so it is said. :rolleyes:

Phono pre-amps and digital format converters. Start cheap and work up.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Phono pre-amps and digital format converters. Start cheap and work up.
I only have one phono amp left to test. My current plan is to get into testing more speaker amplifiers. Have a large pile of those and they are taking up a ton of space in the lab.

Wombat

Master Contributor
NAD PP4e with USB out?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
NAD PP4e with USB out?
No it is the Behringer. Didn't know I was supposed to spend my Christmas money on NAD PP4e! :)

Lot of complaints about its reliability on Amazon. Is it worth testing it?

tomli747

The usual sites say it is out of stock/production. Is it still a current unit?

I think so. It's not discontinued except Japan.
In Japan, they have a special edition that comes with a USB cable made by SAEC.
And it has no successor unlike the discontinued UD-501.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think so. It's not discontinued except Japan.
I went two pages in google search and no place shows up that is selling it. Even if I found one, others won't be finding or buying it.

Wombat

Master Contributor
No it is the Behringer. Didn't know I was supposed to spend my Christmas money on NAD PP4e! :)

Lot of complaints about its reliability on Amazon. Is it worth testing it?

It gets reasonable reviews and there are many satisfied user reports outside of Amazon and few complaints. Given the number of units sold there are bound to be some negative opinions. The complaints on Amazon do not amount to 'lots' in the bigger picture.

tomli747

I went two pages in google search and no place shows up that is selling it. Even if I found one, others won't be finding or buying it.

That's sad. There are a few shops selling it at about USD250 in my city.

Crane

Forum Donor
I would be interested in seeing any peachtree integrated amp measurement. Also, is there actually a donation place to support the work here, should probably start one to help alleviate the shipping issue.

Veri

Master Contributor
I would be interested in seeing any peachtree integrated amp measurement. Also, is there actually a donation place to support the work here, should probably start one to help alleviate the shipping issue.
Yes, patreon and direct.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Donation links are at the end of every review:
----

If you like this review, or even if you don't but wish for me to ride first class in my upcoming holiday flight, please consider donating using:
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or
upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Optoma NuForce uDAC-5 DAC/Amp . $100 on massdrop. Spec says 112db SNR, 5Ohm output impedance. Not much else. Nontech review claims expanded soundstage :) I'd say "not enough brilliance without Amir measurements :)"

FunkeXMix

Thanks a bunch. I searched and found it on DHGate. They have a 35% discount for the next 7 hours and $20 coupon. So all in all, it cost me $99.61 with free shipping from China! A lot cheaper than the $300 price from the original outfit.
Hi, did you have some time to test it out, what are your thoughts?

FunkeXMix

At first I could not believe it - looks like a high margin for Hildizs.
I'm looking forward to your measurements.
The topping NX4 DSD is also on its way to me.
When both are there, I will share my impressions.

The reviews on Head Fi look promising: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hidizs-dh1000-sonata.22963/reviews

Since the components are similar to my Onkyo Granbeat, I'm looking forward to the comparison.

What about you VonGoethe, did you get your copy? What do you think?

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have bought the udac-3 which I hope to review soon. What is the difference between the two?
From Optoma's site, the main differences:
uDAC3: PCM up to 24/96; micro-USB input
uDAC5: DSD256 and up to 24bit/384kHz PCM; USB-B input

I didn't see any mention of the DAC chip for the uDAC3, but they say "ESS SABRE Hyperstream DAC" for the uDAC5.

Top Bottom