• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

bennetng

Major Contributor
I really would like to see the measurements of your Motherboard, Amir.

I'm using the ALC1220 chip on my MSI Z270 SLI PLUS board to feed my headphone amp because it measures pretty well via RMAA.
This website uses EMU1616m to measure other DACs:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/schiit-fulla.php
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/gigabyte-ga-a75-ud4h.php

It seems that a 7 years old Realtek can beat a Schiit. Amir can measure the ALC1220 without being called a Realtek shill as it is not easy to buy a PC motherboard without a Realtek.

Same 1kHz spaced spikes in Amir's report:
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...it-fulla-v1-dac-and-headphone-amplifier.2641/

garbulky

Major Contributor
Hi @amirm
I couldn't figure out where the amp measurement suggestion thread was so I'm posting here. Emotiva has released the PA-1. And its appeal is that it's a pretty low cost amp that's class D. It's basically an ICE clone that has the Emotiva nameplate on it. It uses an ICE amp. It's fully balanced and does 250 watts @ 4 ohms. Emotiva mentioned themselves that the measurements aren't the best, but I thought it would be interesting to see how it does. It also has a 30 day trial and costs $300. So you could technically send it back and be out just the shipping.
https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/pa-1

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm
I couldn't figure out where the amp measurement suggestion thread was so I'm posting here. Emotiva has released the PA-1. And its appeal is that it's a pretty low cost amp that's class D. It's basically an ICE clone that has the Emotiva nameplate on it. It uses an ICE amp. It's fully balanced and does 250 watts @ 4 ohms. Emotiva mentioned themselves that the measurements aren't the best, but I thought it would be interesting to see how it does. It also has a 30 day trial and costs $300. So you could technically send it back and be out just the shipping.
https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/pa-1
Hi there. thanks for the suggestion. I have not yet reviewed the pile of amps I have already bought and being lent. :) So let me get through a few of those and then we have a baseline to compare this one to.

D

Deleted member 1514

How about reviewing that Melokin DA 9.1 you shelled out your hard earned money for? :) If it measures well, it'd be a good, affordable ESS 9038Pro implementation with a plethora of inputs and mod-ability.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In general items costing $600 or less, and available quickly. Chi-Fi and Massdrop usually involve long waits or sporadic availability. In particular, anything from ifi, especially the idsd nano and micro black editions.

Simon740

Hello,

Im new on this forum and it will be Nice to see measurements for LKS 004 Sabre 9038 pro.

Regards,
Simon

or Matrix X-Sabre Pro :)

Im looking some dac with very good volume control. I need it for my active speakers.
So I must deside between this dacs:
RME ADI-2 DAC
Benchmark DAC2 or DAC3 (a little too expensive)
LKS 004
Matrix X-Sabre Pro
or some Audio GD

Now I have Topping D30 :) and I use gain control on Sonodyne SRP-205. Love this combination.

regards,
Simon

Grave

I request measuring the JDS Labs Element because this is what I use. . .

PuX

iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Label

Does anyone have one that wants to loan it to me for review? I have the silver one and don't use it. Hate to have two of them then. :)
I'd love to see a review of the silver one, even if it's not the same as the black label, it should give us a good idea if iFi makes good budget DACs or not.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd love to see a review of the silver one, even if it's not the same as the black label, it should give us a good idea if iFi makes good budget DACs or not.
Will do.

escalibur

Hifime UDA38pro :)

This!

@amirm any chance of taking some measurements of Burson Play with different opamps? It would be interesting to see how well/poorly other opamps perform compared to the stock one(s). :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
"Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?"

Anything but Schiit...

Manbeard

I know its been mentioned a few times before...

How about measurements of other R2R DACs like Denafrips, Holo Spring and Soekris (a retail version, not a DIY kit).

Thanks!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm any chance of taking some measurements of Burson Play with different opamps? It would be interesting to see how well/poorly other opamps perform compared to the stock one(s). :)
No chance as I returned the unit already. :) That unit was on short fuse so I had to send it back quickly even though it came with alternate op-amps. It would be quite time consuming to run a full suite of tests with each op-amp anyway.

That said, I do plan on testing the Topping D10 with different opamps.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How about measurements of other R2R DACs like Denafrips, Holo Spring and Soekris (a retail version, not a DIY kit).
I would love to but they tend to be expensive. Soekris joined our forum, offered to loan their unit to me but despite my follow up, they did not respond. I sent Soren another email last week and no answer. So that is a dead-end road. Fortunately one of our members already measured once: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/soekris-dam1021-r2r-dac-measurements.2324/. You can see the interactions wtih Soren there.

Unfortunately these products are quite expensive so I don't know that I want to spend my limited funds on them. So we need someone to loan them to me. If you see owners discussing some on other forums, please encourage them to get in touch with me to measure them.

escalibur

No chance as I returned the unit already. :) That unit was on short fuse so I had to send it back quickly even though it came with alternate op-amps. It would be quite time consuming to run a full suite of tests with each op-amp anyway.

That said, I do plan on testing the Topping D10 with different opamps.

Damn! :)

Topping D10 could be interesting. What opamps do you plan to test if I may know?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Topping D10 could be interesting. What opamps do you plan to test if I may know?
Members have sent them so I don't have them memorized. This is one of them: http://www.sonicimagerylabs.com/products/Model994DiscreteOpAmp-Ticha.html
994DiscreteOpAmp.jpg

Top Bottom