• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Andolink

Any respect from the experts here for the PS Audio Directstream DAC or DS Jr.? I'd like to see measurements of these having now had some experience with both.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Fast search of that device (LKS) netted a discovery that all ESS chips are garbage (as per SBAF membership), that R2R is the real deal and that Schiit is so good every household should have one. I can already hear my device playing worse. Must resist urge to buy 5k dac.

lol .... sometimes I wonder whether to laugh or to cringe when I see some of the comments over there.

But the SMSL D-1 looks to be well made. But someone over at HF pointed out that it lacks I2S input that is used in some highend transports and streamers. But I have no idea how much of a difference that would make considering how far USB input such have come since the "dark ages" though.

duo8

The promotional text on the page is hilarious. Why is it so hard to find a translator to get their thoughts into proper wording. Tho device itself looks like a beast.
Most likely machine translated

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Fast search of that device (LKS) netted a discovery that all ESS chips are garbage (as per SBAF membership), that R2R is the real deal and that Schiit is so good every household should have one. I can already hear my device playing worse. Must resist urge to buy 5k dac.

Come to think of it, those guys need to do double-blind comparative tests between the various ESS , AKM, R2R as well as so-called "multibit" DACs they so idolise. Implemented properly and correctly volume compensated, I would say probably 1 or 2 out of 10 people would be able to correctly identify all the different DACs (and chips).

sssn

I really would like to see the measurements of your Motherboard, Amir.

I'm using the ALC1220 chip on my MSI Z270 SLI PLUS board to feed my headphone amp because it measures pretty well via RMAA.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'd like to see some measurements of DACs that actually sound bad.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Fun time. Opinions on 'sounds bad'. Sorry Ray.:oops:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to see some measurements of DACs that actually sound bad.
I nominate my HDMI switcher. I can record the results vs other DACs or I suppose I could send it to Amir at the end of the summer.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to see one $10k plus DAC for reference. Whether a good or bad reference at least a reference.

dcs would be nice. Or MSB. Anybody out there with such an exalted DAC they could ship to Amir for a measurement???????

Or for gawd's sake, at least a Benchmark or Lavry.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Krunok

Major Contributor
I would like to see one $10k plus DAC for reference. Whether a good or bad reference at least a reference.

Good idea. And it should be compared side by side with Topping D10 - obvious title for that thread should be "David vs Goliath"! :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Good suggestion. I just fired off an email to them. It may not hurt for some of you to express the same desire to them as common readers of both sites. :)
FYI I never heard back. I suggest those of you interested reach out to them especially on public forums. Express your desire to see me test the audio portion of the motherboard they test. That is likely to have more weight than my private email which may have gotten lost in their spam folder.

bona998

Audiobyte Black DRAGON DAC (dual AK4396)

Stello DA-100 Signature

Electrocompaniet ecd-1 DAC

Some state of the art, super-dooper, latest the greatest, high-end, end of the road DCS ring dacs

Some oppo DACS

Hifiman EF-5/EF-6 headphone amps

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some oppo DACS
Is Oppo staying in DAC business? They have left the Blu-ray market and I don't know if they are giving up on everything.

FYI I have an Oppo UHD 205 Blu-ray player for review.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some state of the art, super-dooper, latest the greatest, high-end, end of the road DCS ring dacs
I don't think those units are in the cards because they thrive on subjective reviews. As our efforts grow over time and importance of objective measurement and data increases, I hope this will change and we will see offers of loaned high-end gear. :)

bona998

Is Oppo staying in DAC business? They have left the Blu-ray market and I don't know if they are giving up on everything.

FYI I have an Oppo UHD 205 Blu-ray player for review.

Yes it is, for instance oppo sonica dac now, but I can recall there was also another one, very popular with this fancy transparent top, especially during some audio shows

Regarding electrocompaniet, this model is discontinued but still very popular and with really interesting sound (dac is cirrus 4397 if I recall correctly), very deep sounding, analog like, with linear, vinyl like bass, stereophile measured it once, it was quite old unit and even for now, the results would be stunning, so the main designer definately knows what he's doing (I believe now they are more like "abrahamsen dacs")

bona998

Recently Onkyo is getting bigger and bigger. These units not only sound great but have a look at the insides [!] (for instance ONKYO NS-6170 with DUAL AK4490 and uncompromised implementation) - maybe it is not a bad idea to test one of them ?

As for DCS ring dacs, maybe it would be nice to measure one of old ARCAM CD PLAYERS with first batch of ring dac inside & silly price (but there might be the issue with cheap tuning inside after many different owners or strong elements deterioration like caps on the PCB etc It may affect the output signal, the test piece would have to be in great condition & untouched, from last possible batch, like ARCAM CD23 FMJ series for instance, because alpha 9 might be quite old and not easy to get these days)

Top Bottom