• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Audio Manufacturers Have the Best Industrial Design

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An industrial designer opined to me that McIntosh electronics had great industrial design with their soothing blue and green color scheme. I tend to agree although I have no opinion of how their stuff sounds and I think the autoformer technology is weird.

MA7200-Front-Top-USB.ashx

Nelson Pass makes a nice looking integrated amp for a cleaner look:

pl_int250_fa4.jpg

In the speaker category I like the popular Kef LS50, I just hate sharp edges:

ls50-all-black-side-pair.jpg

One more thought is good industrial design isn't cheap, but it isn't insanely expensive.

Your nominations?

noname

For their over all products range.

Accuphase
Audio Research
Bang & Olufsen
Burmester
dCS
Esoteric
Jadis
Jeff Rowland
Nagra
Sonus Faber
Soulution
Vitus

silentt29

• McIntosh Laboratory
  • Yamaha (e.g. M-5000)
  • Sony
  • Technics
  • Bowers & Wilkins
  • Esoteric
  • TEAC (e.g. AP-701)
  • Wharfedale
  • Bang & Olufsen (e.g. BeoSound 9000)
  • Focal
  • Sonus Faber

Last edited:

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Industrial?, I do not think of Hifi as industrial. Anyway I bought an Accuphase with big VU meters , I like their design and they have performance to match it,

When I think of it this LM Audio is kind of submarine industrial, and I like it…
E618B7DA-AA90-4AF3-80C6-1B38C14643A4.png

Some McIntosch, especially older look good, but their record player CD player DAC just look awkward and weirdly unharmonic

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Accuphase
Audio Research
apt

Belker

Industrial?, I do not think of Hifi as industrial. Anyway I bought an Accuphase with big VU meters , I like their design and they have performance to match it,

When I think of it this LM Audio is kind of submarine industrial, and I like it…
View attachment 140867
Some McIntosch, especially older look good, but their record player CD player DAC just look awkward and weirdly unharmonic
Industrial design means that it is mass produced on an industrial level. Not that it looks “industrial”.

Katji

Major Contributor
Maybe my favourite.
I won't say what it is, but quite likely that someone here would know, or would reconise the housing. (The designer had a thing about negative feedback amplifiers. The diagram note says "negative output impedance amplifier realization.")
This was a prototype. The housing from a certain widely-used modem that had become obsolete and there were many of the housings available at a low price, so they got a few to use for their project. :) The circuit boards were also very robust.

U85ycLo.jpg

iPuz34a.jpg

kCUBNDB.jpg

Reactions: Zvu

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I would put McIntosh at or near the top of the list, although some of their design choices such as the silly green LEDs below tubes looks beyond cheezy.

Or this for something different. :p

SAE MK II First Production Unit Three Quarters Top.jpg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Katji

Major Contributor
o_O

D'Agostino ey. ...Competing with Pathos Kratos.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
An industrial designer opined to me that McIntosh electronics had great industrial design with their soothing blue and green color scheme. I tend to agree although I have no opinion of how their stuff sounds and I think the autoformer technology is weird.

MA7200-Front-Top-USB.ashx

Nelson Pass makes a nice looking integrated amp for a cleaner look:

pl_int250_fa4.jpg

In the speaker category I like the popular Kef LS50, I just hate sharp edges:

ls50-all-black-side-pair.jpg

One more thought is good industrial design isn't cheap, but it isn't insanely expensive.

Your nominations?
Great industrial design in the audiophile world :eek::D

Palmer Monicon 59 Euro

Top Bottom