• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where should I adjust the volume?

momo7G

After reading heaps of reviews about dac/amp, the shopping bug finally bite me. I decided to spend some money for one, to seek for the box which let you hear god.

The box I bought was ifi nano iDSD BL.
This is the link for that%
https://ifi-audio.com/products/nano-idsd-bl/

I then try to use it with HD700.
Plug in, switch on, knob turn to about halfway. Although I cannot hear God, it is loud. So I instinctly fiddle the knob to lower the volume.

The knob seems too sensitive to the adjustment, either too loud or too quiet. Then I adjust the volume on my computer, btw, I listen through PC from Apple Music through iTunes. Somehow I read somewhere that I should keep it ar 100% to prevent bit lost from PC.

Back to the title, where should I adjust the volume??

derp1n

Making fine volume adjustments on your PC (in iTunes or the PC's master volume control) is fine. Enjoy and don't worry about it.

OP
momo7G

momo7G

That will be good, as the volume control is quite a topic too... Seems people (maybe including me) will pay good money for a volume knob.

tinger

re: IFI black label volume knob.
I was told by IFI to set the imatch underneath so the volume knob is @ 12 oclock or higher.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
If you play a 16 bit file on a 16 bit DAC and reduce the volume by 48 dB you get something like
You lose 8 bits resolution.
If you play 16 bit on a 24 bit DAC you get
Theoretical you can chop of 8 bits on a 24 without losing resolution.
Practice is of course a bit different as no DAC can resolve the full 24 bits.

Anyway, modest digital volume control won’t hurt if you have a 24 or 32 bit DAC.

A simple experiment is to set the digital volume control to 100% (unity gain)
Play and lower the digital VC and increase the analog at the same time trying to maintain the same loudness.
You probably need a substantial reduction at the digital side before you will notice any audible degradation.

rodrigaj

I don't know about iFi but...
I keep my PS Audio DirectStream DAC at 100% and adjust volume with my W4S STP-SE preamp.

My philosophy is to keep the DAC at maximum resolution and adjust the volume level using the excellent VC of the preamp. I have a phono preamp connected to the preamp and since it only operates at 100%, I followed the same logic with the DAC.

OP
momo7G

momo7G

@Vincent Kars
That's informative and I now put pc volume at 90, more room to play around with the physical knob. DJ feeling like:cool::cool:

@bennetng
Little project for me this weekend with those signals

Top Bottom