• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where do I alter volume, and what do I leave alone?

respice finem

Major Contributor
Great advice, many thanks.

I feel…superstitious about setting the speakers to max (for these the range is 0-10). I might prefer 9, unless there’s a good reason not to.
I can't say much about it without having measured them yet - at least "by ear", no issues detected. So I didn't even RTFM to find out if it's right :D
BTW, my speakers in the other setup (Neumann KH 310A) also have the "pots" set to max, and all is well.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For example using JRiver with ASIO neither the JRiver or the Windows system volume control have any effect:

No, I do not think so, since I use JRiver MC as master volume controller with ASIO Device mode; please check that you select the "Volume mode:" to be "Internal Volume".
WS00005689.JPG

respice finem

Major Contributor
I always keep my preamp volume inaudible at turn on/off.
Do you mean, you mute it? I have yet to check with headphones, but at least with my speakers, this isn't necessary.
There is no switch-on pop or such, maybe the speakers are "on mute" by default, when without input, and "softly" turn on when they receive input.
Or it's the EX5 that does it, with the same result.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheers.

Whilst I’m looking for ‘perfection’, does it matter a huge amount which way round I do it?
You'll probably get differing opinions but with active Focal Trio 11be I owned I always had my source at max and speakers at max and adjusted volume with preamp. Exception was with Genelecs I owned where I adjusted volume with Genelecs remote.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean, you mute it? I have yet to check with headphones, but at least with my speakers, this isn't necessary.
There is no switch-on pop or such, maybe the speakers are "on mute" without input and "softly" turn on when they receive input.
No I just turn the volume way down. I don't have any pop it's just always been a safety quirk I have. I doubt it's necessary. I've always done this with every system I ever owned.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I would suggest a slight mod to "full volume on speakers"

With the DAC on full, set the speaker volume so it is the loudest you will ever likely listen. (This may be some way below full volume)

Then use the DAC volume control to reduce from there.

This way you minimise the amplification of noise on the input to the speakers, and maximise the SNR from the DAC.

That's my take too.

I run windows volume full on. I use my dac for volume control since it has a remote. My amp is set at about 2:00 (probably roughly 2/3 of the way to full) because that's more than enough volume for my needs, with headroom to spare on the amp itself, and I can just leave it there with less concern about powering on and off and getting some sort of pop or surge for whatever reason and blowing it. I have a minor phobia about having amps fully cranked. lol...

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I’ve some content that has low level so I prefer to have some available gain for that, but that means that some other content can be very loud by accident.

I just have the amp set so that there's enough headroom for me to (using the dac) increase the volume for the quietest content. Luckily, my amp has way more power than I really need so no need to have it at full volume.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's my take too.

I run windows volume full on. I use my dac for volume control since it has a remote. My amp is set at about 2:00 (probably roughly 2/3 of the way to full) because that's more than enough volume for my needs, with headroom to spare on the amp itself, and I can just leave it there with less concern about powering on and off and getting some sort of pop or surge for whatever reason and blowing it. I have a minor phobia about having amps fully cranked. lol...
Is this an integrated amp? I've never had a power amp with volume control.

Trell

Major Contributor
I just have the amp set so that there's enough headroom for me to (using the dac) increase the volume for the quietest content. Luckily, my amp has way more power than I really need so no need to have it at full volume.

One of the advantages of Genelec SAM monitors/subwoofers that have an internal volume setting that goes to down -130dB, so I've set it to -25 dB and that works very well with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS to limit max volume.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always keep my preamp volume inaudible at turn on/off.

I agree from two point of views, not only the protection against possible on/off pop noises but also against any of accidental/mistaken high gain sound intrusions.

The "safety" concerns would be not only related to the "ignition/start-up, shutdown sequences" but also to the preferable use of "all in ASIO I/O routing" as I shared here.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Is this an integrated amp? I've never had a power amp with volume control.

oh no, I'm just talking about my headphone setup - the headphone amp.

If I was using powered speakers (as the OP is), I think I'd probably follow a similar routine though. Have the speakers set at a volume a bit above what I'd ever realistically need, but probably below full on. Actually, it's the process I follow with bluetooth speakers most of the time too. I set the volume on the speaker itself at a level 2 or 3 clicks below full power and then adjust volume on the source. Assuming of course that the volume is adjustable independently like that - which is the circumstance I really prefer. I don't really like it when the speaker and source volume are locked together. I like having a bit of headroom built into the chain I guess...

Last edited:

SSS

Okay, I’d love a specific answer to this, but I’m guessing general guidance would be useful to others, too.

Potential set up:

- PC (or possibly WiiM streamer), into:
- Topping EX5 DAC/HP Amp/ Pre-amp, XLR balanced outs into:
- JBL 310S Subwoofer, crossover set to keep LF in the sub and send the rest over XLR balanced from the sub to:
- JBL 308P powered monitor speakers.

I presume I should just use the Topping to control volume, would I have the right?

If so, what should I set the volume on all the other components at (PC/streamer, sub, monitors)?

Full whack? 50%? Is there a general rule of thumb?

Cheers.
Gereral rule to my opinion and usage is to adjust for lowest noise level. This means to adjust from start to end of the audio chain to full volume (if following inputs are not overloaded). Then adjust at the last station the volume according to your needs. Personally I prefer not use digital volume control, instead the potentiometer at my analog preamp.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
One thing I’ve found out, if using a WiiM, it should be set to maximum volume.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the EX5 with a pair of iLoud MTMs and a Presonus Sub8 subwoofer on the balanced outputs. The Sub8 sits in-line, crossed at 80Hz, and the MTMs are also crossed at 80Hz using internal DSP. The volume in Windows is set to 100%, listening volume is controlled only with the EX5.

I also have the premium Topping RC-21 remote setup control power to the MTMs and Sub and to control PEQ profiles in PEACE/APO...

FYI - The RC-21 seems to have been replaced by the RC-22 (which doesn't looks a nice in my opinion)... https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/topping-rc22-remote-control

ErLan

Thanks for the insightful information.
As someone who share an identical infrastructure (PC > DAC > SubXO > powerAmp > speakers);
Are any good practices to compensate for the delay between Sub & Main which does NOT require update my 2 channel DAC to multichannel DAC/miniDSP/Muto4/5.1Soundcard/... one?

Trell

Major Contributor
Thanks for the insightful information.
As someone who share an identical infrastructure (PC > DAC > SubXO > powerAmp > speakers);
Are any good practices to compensate for the delay between Sub & Main which does NOT require update my 2 channel DAC to multichannel DAC/miniDSP/Muto4/5.1Soundcard/... one?
Welcome to ASR.

I suggest you make your own thread for your question.

Cool Runnings

In (non-Shakespearean) English... ;)

Which do I set and leave, and which do I use to control the volume day-to-day?

And the ones I leave alone, what volume do I set and leave them at? 100%? 50%?

Cheers.
Haha simple plain English is good anytime :)

For your set up.

Set and leave - DAC/Preamp
Set and leave - Subwoofer. 40-50%. Remember to set your crossover at 60-80hz
Set and leave - Active speakers. I’d say try 50%. A lot depends on the power of the speaker amps and your listening level pref.

Use the Wiim Streamer to control volume day to day.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suggest you make your own thread for your question.
Sure, will do!
Thanks.

I am looking forward to your new thread on this topic. Please kindly announce here when you would start the new thread.

While waiting for start of your new thread, let me share with you my methods for time alignment measurements and tunings (applying group delay in DSP software EKIO in 0.1 msec precision) which I summarized in my post here on my project thread. As for the time alignment and XO configuration between subwoofer and woofer, my posts here and here would be also of your reference, I assume.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Top Bottom