• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When will higher power Purifi modules be released?

I'm eager to buy a new amp as soon as possible. But I read in Amir's review that the current Purify module only puts out a little over 200 Watts continuously at 4 Ohms. So my question is if I hold out until the end of the year will Purifi release any more powerful modules before the end of 2020?

Last edited:

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm eager to buy amp as soon as possible. But I read in Amir's review that the current Purify module only puts out a little over 200 Watts continuously at 4 Ohms. So my question is if I hold out until the end of the year will Purifi release any more powerful modules before the end of 2020?

you could bridge two 1ET400As and end up some where between 500 and 600 watts of power

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to Purifi, bridging their modules is not recommended.
That's indeed written in their documentation:
"bridging two 1ET400A Designs will result in performance degradation as the circuit is not configured to sense the voltage differential that exists between the (now unused) OUT- terminals of the two 1ET400A Designs. Bridging is therefore not recommended. All operation and performance specs are void in this configuration."

But I see several Purifi-based amps where the bridged power is specified.

@amirm
I wonder if you could measure your Purifi amp in bridged mode (if possible on yours) ?

Last edited:

AnLaoJin

In any case, it is not recommended to bridge the amplifier to obtain more power, because you cannot judge the impedance valley of your speakers. The actual effective low distortion power of 1ET400A is only 8Ω130W 4Ω260W, which is far from enough for large floor-standing speakers and symphony users. . .

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is only Purifi your consideration ? Topping ...

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
In any case, it is not recommended to bridge the amplifier to obtain more power, because you cannot judge the impedance valley of your speakers. The actual effective low distortion power of 1ET400A is only 8Ω130W 4Ω260W, which is far from enough for large floor-standing speakers and symphony users. . .
Edit following @tomtoo comment, my apologies:
130W is 122 dB for a 80 dB/W speaker. With 20 dB dynamic range, this makes an average volume of 102 dB per speaker. Two speakers means 108 dB average. How can this be far from enough?
130W is 101 dB for a 80 dB/W speaker. With 20 dB dynamic range, this makes an average volume of 81 dB per speaker. Two speakers means 87 dB average. It is indeed not very loud, especially in a big room, and with a very inefficient speaker.
To give some nuances
- I don't know which speakers you refer to, but big speakers tend to be more efficient than small ones
- the 8Ω and 4Ω performance is related to the power supply, not the 1ET400A itself
- I have strong doubts that we can hear distortion for peaks, we could consider 130W of clean power available in average, which would become loud enough
- impedance valleys issues are more related to the power delivered in 2Ω in the case of the 1ET400A. It is not it's weakest point even if not measured by Amir.

Is only Purifi your consideration ? Topping ...
They are talking about amplifiers pulling out 25 A per channel, while staying perfectly clean and cool. Does Topping have such an offering? :)

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
130W is 122 dB for a 80 dB/W speaker. With 20 dB dynamic range, this makes an average volume of 102 dB per speaker. Two speakers means 108 dB average. How can this be far from enough?

They are talking about amplifiers pulling out 25 A per channel, while staying perfectly clean and cool. Does Topping have such an offering? :)

Could you please explain your numbers??
1w=80db
10w=90db
100w=100db
1000w=110db

Or am i wrong when we talk about one speaker?
Edit says: Would be cool that a lame 80dB/w speaker would put out 122dB at 130W. No need for efficient PA speakers any more.

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Could you please explain your numbers??
1w=80db
10w=90db
100w=100db
1000w=110db

Or am i wrong when we talk about one speaker?
Edit says: Would be cool that a lame 80dB/w speaker would put out 122dB at 130W. No need for efficient PA speakers any more.
Ooops, my bad, I applied the amplitude ratio formula instead of the power ratio formula.
But you are right, would be cool to have these results in real world, it just made me remember some basics learnt at pre-school: check your results with common sense :facepalm:.
Will correct my post accordingly.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Ooops, my bad, I applied the amplitude ratio formula instead of the power ratio formula.
But you are right, would be cool to have these results in real world, it just made me remember some basics learnt at pre-school: check your results with common sense :facepalm:.
Will correct my post accordingly.

No problem little errors happen. Still i would say a 200w amp in an average 86db/w speaker is for most people and rooms a lot. Nothing you do a longer time.

AnLaoJin

Edit following @tomtoo comment, my apologies:
130W is 101 dB for a 80 dB/W speaker. With 20 dB dynamic range, this makes an average volume of 81 dB per speaker. Two speakers means 87 dB average. It is indeed not very loud, especially in a big room, and with a very inefficient speaker.
To give some nuances
- I don't know which speakers you refer to, but big speakers tend to be more efficient than small ones
- the 8Ω and 4Ω performance is related to the power supply, not the 1ET400A itself
- I have strong doubts that we can hear distortion for peaks, we could consider 130W of clean power available in average, which would become loud enough
- impedance valleys issues are more related to the power delivered in 2Ω in the case of the 1ET400A. It is not it's weakest point even if not measured by Amir.

This is a typical pure theory. . Anyone can calculate the required power with sensitivity, but it does not explain the problem. . The equal loudness curve of the human ear, the low frequency 100dB is only 8 90dB when you listen, not to mention the more than ten dB of attenuation caused by the big valley of the room. The result is that 10W power is sufficient, but hundreds of watts of margin are required.

AnLaoJin

This is a typical pure theory. . Anyone can calculate the required power with sensitivity, but it does not explain the problem. . The equal loudness curve of the human ear, the low frequency 100dB is only 8 90dB when you listen, not to mention the more than ten dB of attenuation caused by the big valley of the room. The result is that 10W power is sufficient, but hundreds of watts of margin are required.
Unless you don't listen to symphony, unless your room has a flat curve locally. . Otherwise, never use sensitivity to directly calculate the required power. The result is that your amplifier has been in a state of frequent clipping

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Page 2 is now full and not one post regarding the topic
This is ASR in a nutshell

Hey, does anyone know

BillH

Forum Donor
AnLaoJin,
Would you please repeat your comments with a few more details - i just couldn't follow your points and would like to better understand the points your are trying to make. First - the equal loudness response curve of the ear and second, the ten db attenuation valley of the room. Thanks very much

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Page 2 is now full and not one post regarding the topic
This is ASR in a nutshell

Hey, does anyone know
Noone knows, it has not been disclosed. Close thread.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to stray from the question, but maybe it‘s because I don’t listen to orchestral music, but for music I don’t think I’ve ever used for than like 10W*. It’s movies where wattage is needed.

*My AVR is 80W into 2ch and I am at like -20dB for a lot of music, which puts it at 0.8W. Of course impedance/phase play a role, but still. For tv I am usually at -16dB and for movies via cable I am usually at -8dB (lossless via disc I am usually at -12dB). This is with it being level calibrated.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
So how do you calculate the required power?

There is no way. But you can estimate, and i would estimate that 200w in each channel, and 2subs with each 1kw would scare the most people.
Edit says: Even on lame efficient speakers. ;)
Edit from edit says: Most people in europe live in a flat. And you realy would need nice neigbours to go up to 200w even with lame efficient speakers. But maybe police is your best friend??

Last edited:
Top Bottom