• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the common road to audio bliss?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
...The road where everyone benefit from the reaps of the music playing in a common accord.

It's not an easy question, but has a simple/humble answer...in one word.
If someone find the answer, the word...I'll give the best out of me in going into further depth...with you all.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Give us a hint...

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
A hint? ...Sorry Tim, it isn't the word I have in mind.

Ok, I'll give you the very best hint (in addition to a very good hint already in my first post):
The greatest quality in sport, in life. ...Something rare...very rare...and precious, that only very few have.
And it is the exact same word in both English and French.

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Carol Wayne has a 7 letter word; the word is in plural form because she has 2 of them.

I am a leg man myself.

Am I getting close?

iridium.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I agree with you about how the entire system must perform in total harmony with each other to attain audio bliss.

This was my whole point in starting the holistic audio sub forum on WBF. I've felt this way for a while now. All parts matter and they all go together. They all dance and sing. We just have to cojole them to dance and sing together. That's the secret.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I do take issue with those who abuse the concept of harmony. Many lazy minds on audio forums use this fact as an excuse to say "everything matters." This is the ultimate brain turn-off. Ayn Rand referred to such vacuous phraseology as a "blank out." She meant that sometimes folks use fancy words and phrases in place of actual thought.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Music - Passion - Harmony ... all great words but not the one I have in mind.

1. Seven letters: 'Passion' fits the bill, but it's not it.
2. The word spells the same in English and in French: 'Passion' fits the bill again, and 'Harmony' in French is 'Harmonie'
_______

"...The road where everyone benefit from the reaps of the music playing in a common accord. "

Two letters that comprise the word: T - E
Just five more letters now.

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I agree with you about how the entire system must perform in total harmony with each other to attain audio bliss.

This was my whole point in starting the holistic audio sub forum on WBF. I've felt this way for a while now. All parts matter and they all go together. They all dance and sing. We just have to cojole them to dance and sing together. That's the secret.
There are aspects of that common sense statement that irritate me, though (ever so slightly - nothing personal!).

One is the idea that the system is 'parts'-driven i.e. our main job is to make a given selection of parts work together. In my world, I think it is the design that has to provide the necessary harmony, and the parts merely have to have a certain level of competence to make it work. (i.e. the composition is the important bit, and the musicians are interchangeable..?)

Another is the implication that all parts have the potential to sing 'out of tune'. I think that some elements are so simple, such as the cables, that only a defective version of them could cause a problem with the harmony. I might put DACs, amplifiers and DSP hardware into that category, also.

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I totally agree. That's why I say use of cute catch phrases are never a substitute for real thought.

IMO, the "parts" which must sing in harmony are the speaker/room and the listening position. IME, DSP and a mic is 100% necessary to achieve harmonious playback. I personally use a 4ch system where the opposite electrical polarity subs are calibrated with DSP to greatly reduce length modes in my room. I also use a target curve created by Acourate filters. This is the real harmony to which I refer. I agree that cables aren't relevant to the discussion.

If you aren't using a mic, you aren't try in'. :)

There are aspects of that common sense statement that irritate me, though (ever so slightly - nothing personal!).

One is the idea that the system is 'parts'-driven i.e. our main job is to make a given selection of parts work together. In my world, I think it is the design that has to provide the necessary harmony, and the parts merely have to have a certain level of competence to make it work. (i.e. the composition is the important bit, and the musicians are interchangeable..?)

Another is the implication that all parts have the potential to sing 'out of tune'. I think that some elements are so simple, such as the cables, that only a defective version of them could cause a problem with the harmony. I might put DACs, amplifiers and DSP hardware into that category, also.

Top Bottom