• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some love for Martin Logan Dynamo SW

rogerd1

Hello, I want to share my initial experience with a Martin Logan Dynamo 1600x. Where I live SVS isn't as readily available as ML, so price play differently as in the states.

This is a Living room, half open plan about 5,000 cubic feet (tall ceilings, concrete), I was able to compare it with a Monolith 10 V2 (that I'm returning for second time).

1699926532055.png

I like a lot the solid build of the woofer, is a tank but is able to reproduce higher bass frequencies beautifully as compared to the Monolith, putting the later into shame in my view. This is a stereo music setup. I haven't run the ARC app yet as it appears that calibration only works in iOs not Android.

1699926799629.png

For the Monolith, both SWs had the "Christmas led failure", meaning they will halt operation at minimal voltage swings showing red-green flashing led, amps seems very very fragile to the point that I cannot trust that design. ML is solid in that regard.

Perhaps the 1600X is an overkill (if that is a word) for music in 5,000 cu.ft, maybe a 1100X (or two) is enough, but I can't change it.
For the ML, the pros I see:
- Very musical, easy to integrate with my Elac Carinas. The Monolith can't do that even with Roon Eq.
- 15 inch woofer is very authoritative, will go very low and I can see it would be great for Movies (but I don't see much Movies).
- App seems nice, yet, i need to run the room correction on an iPhone to see if it further improves.
- Amp and woofer seem very solid. Woofer is very stiff.
- Able to reproduce tight bass and also very depth low bass, with the Monolith i wasn't able to hear tight bass even with it's 10 in woofer, eq and front plug!
Cons: Cost twice the Monolith!
Standard, not beautiful looking

I hope doing some rudimentary tests in the future in case anybody is interested.

Edit:
1600x not a overkill in 5000 cu.ft for demanding songs.
I ran the ARC app from an iPhone, it works very very nice, a 2 minute room correction procedure. This may be a game changer for anybody not having AVR/external correction, you can disable the correction via the app and hear a huge improvement when is on, at least for my use case.
ML Amp/dsp is way more capable at higher volumes than the one in Monolith which seems to dsp-compress or run out of breath in comparison. 2 different leagues of subwoofers.
Still impressed with the 15" middle-high bass capability in comparison to the one in the 10", doesn't make sense but it is.
Other Con: currently is in the downfiring postion, unfortunately it dances a bit in hard floor

Last edited:
Top Bottom