• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Cooking? Show us Your Plated Food Photos!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
To the traditional sautéed (it's the best english? word I could find to translate sofregit/sofrito) I added a glass of vi ranci, a kind of oxidized wine very common in catalan cook, and a bit of ginger powder, a combination I like very much, resulting in a sort of sweet and sour contrast. The center laurus nobilis leaf it's added at the end for aromatizing purposes.
"Sofrito" is the commonly used word here for sofrito.

Jerusalem artichokes are wonderful, but they can have a rather loud side effect. There was a restaurant in Arizona we used to go to regularly, and they had a roasted Jerusalem artichoke and wild mushroom dish that was amazing. But our wallpaper would start peeling off.

That said, I'd be delighted to eat your dinner.:D

BTW, I did make my version of the mushroom paella you showed a few weeks back. For the cheese, I used Campo de Montalban given your warning about Manchego taking over the flavors. I was pretty happy with the balance.

IMG_2508.jpg

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Another Valencian rice (bomba) with Jerusalem artichokes (I guess that's British since they are from North America), artichokes (the truly mediterranean ones) and mushrooms (Boluetus edulis, Calocybe gambosa and Craterellus cornucopioides). To the traditional sautéed (it's the best english? word I could find to translate sofregit/sofrito) I added a glass of vi ranci, a kind of oxidized wine very common in catalan cook, and a bit of ginger powder, a combination I like very much, resulting in a sort of sweet and sour contrast. The center laurus nobilis leaf it's added at the end for aromatizing purposes.

I really love your rice! Looks amazing, and can only imagine how amazing it tastes! (And your Tortilla does not look bad either!)

[I just cannot 'like' your entire post with this continuing 'corpse' mentioning -- in a clearly non-strictly-vegetarian (!) food thread. It is tad offensive to some of us, I hope it is simply a language artifact...]

Otherwise, Catalunya did it again! :)

Last edited:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[I just cannot like your entire post with this continuing 'corpse' mentioning -- in a clearly non-strictly-vegetarian (!) food thread. It is tad offensive to some of us, I hope it is simply a language artifact...]
Oh, I'm not a vegetarian at all, it's just a matter of chance. I'm a country guy how has killed animals with his bare hands. It's just this macabre sense of humor I have. I always like to say I eat dead animals :) just to avoid forgetting where things come from.

I don't like cow meet because of it's taste and texture, nothing else.

Last edited:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Sofrito" is the commonly used word here for sofrito.
Of course... :) easier than I expected, as always.
roasted Jerusalem artichoke
Like this? :cool:
IMG_20220118_141134256.jpg

But our wallpaper would start peeling off
Sorry, I didn't get that. :(

BTW, I did make my version of the mushroom paella you showed a few weeks back. For the cheese, I used Campo de Montalban given your warning about Manchego taking over the flavors. I was pretty happy with the balance.
This looks amazing!! It's impressive how culture travels these days. The green ingredient is Parsley? Looks that you remove the inner part of the garlic, very meticulous.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This looks amazing!! It's impressive how culture travels these days. The green ingredient is Parsley? Looks that you remove the inner part of the garlic, very meticulous.
Yes, I can't help myself, I need a little green in a dish.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really love your rice dish! Looks amazing, and can only imagine how amazing it tastes! (And your Tortilla does not look bad either!)
You (plural) are invited, of course. :) It taste's like a sophisticated version of the artichoke, like a sublimated version of it. The Jerusalem artichokes add a very interesting crunchy texture to the rice.
[I just cannot 'like' your entire post with this continuing 'corpse' mentioning -- in a clearly non-strictly-vegetarian (!) food thread. It is tad offensive to some of us, I hope it is simply a language artifact...]
Again, I'm sorry. Sense of humor it's not that universal :) and mine it's a bit weird I guess. A liked the corpse reference as a joke, a ghoulish one, because it looked like it, but I didn't mean to offense or say nothing negative about eating meat. I'm making it worse? :eek:

Otherwise, Cataluña did it again!
Catalunya! ;)

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I can't help myself, I need a little green in a dish.
Almost all spanish sofritos have it, but hidden, because it's cut very thin, in very small pieces, and practically disappears after the frying phase, so to speak. Curiously, the sofrito of the paella consists of onion, but usually not garlic and parsley. To me, from the distance and ignorance, it a re-interpretation of the traditional dish, which I really like, I may try it some day.

If you want to add more green stuff, the original recipe was more vegetarian than today's version and it had broad beans and green bean, a dish of the workers on the country that used the ingredients they were farming, what they have at hand.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Giros made on the Q.
cMKNnXk.jpg

tjMPQUv.jpg
Looks great. But am a bit confused (and please correct me if I am wrong) by calling a grill (grill cooking is usually hot and fairly fast without much smoke). Bar-B-Que (which is what I presume that the "Q" stands for) is usually low heat, slow cooking, involving a fair amount of smoke. Hence, my confusion.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Catalunya! ;)

Sorry! Fixed it in my original post.

[In my European years, I had many great friends from all over northern Spain, including Catalunya! :) But the girlfriend was from Zaragoza - thus my Castilian ñ's... I used to fly from Amsterdam to Barcelona and drive or take a bus. Yet, she actually was a Basque. :) ]

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
0101210904a.jpg

skrimp n grits
My Asian wife had something negative to say about G. R. I. T. S (Girls Raised In the South) when I showed her grits. Then I served her Shrimp (which I am allergic to) & Grits. First bite & she was very much her normal positive again. About Shrimp & Grits & what a great idea that is. And that G. R. I. T. S. must be pretty smart to have come up with that. During the next 15 years of our marriage she has not had any issues with Low Country (on the creeks & beaches) Southern Cooking. Even including Alligator & Frogs Legs (as if some Asian people don't eat strange to us stuff, like tree fungus [to me: Gummy Bear with no flavor]).

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are smoked Jalepeno Poppers. The Jalepenos are halved and then the seeds are scraped out into the sink, the empty halves are filled with cream cheese and topped with a Frito corn chip before being wrapped with a 1/2 slice of bacon. A toothpick holds it together while they are smoked indirect over natural lump charcoal and fruitwood chunks.
View attachment 137107
SMOKED=BAR-B-QUE: Yes Please!

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost all spanish sofritos have it, but hidden, because it's cut very thin, in very small pieces, and practically disappears after the frying phase, so to speak. Curiously, the sofrito of the paella consists of onion, but usually not garlic and parsley. To me, from the distance and ignorance, it a re-interpretation of the traditional dish, which I really like, I may try it some day.

If you want to add more green stuff, the original recipe was more vegetarian than today's version and it had broad beans and green bean, a dish of the workers on the country that used the ingredients they were farming, what they have at hand.
@SIY, just to correct myself, because I was wrong. I've been doing some research, and to be precise, the difference of your dish are not the ingredients, which are common in some recipes which I wasn't aware of (you seem to know more than me :)), but the way to prepare or add them.

I can find some recipes with garlic and some with parsley, and some without onion. The garlic is always cut very small and cooked and added to the sofrito after the onion. That's why I said toy recipe was different because I've never seen a garlic, or a piece of it, in a paella, big enough to be clearly distinguishable. But the most interesting part is on the parsley, because you seem to treat it as a vegetable, and not as a condiment, and hence using a full leaf, not following the tradition here of cutting it very thing and adding it to the sofrito or adding it at the end as decoration or to aromatize, just like I often do with laurus.

However, we both seem to have cooking a recipe which is different from the original valencian one, because it doesn't have any sofrito, with onion, garlic or parsley, just tomato and spices. And it has meet, rabbit and chicken, and not sea food, that I did know. I thought it had some onion, but that seems to be a catalan addition. I'll try the original recipe at some point and post here again.

My thoughts however are that if we don't add meat or sea food, it's better to add more flavors. And, of course, cooking is creating.

As you see, I'm not a professional, just a practitioner, slave of its own culture.

Reactions: SIY

DSJR

Major Contributor
Sod all your fancy-foo food -

Our TOASTER's just packed up :( - Got to see if it can come apart to check the contacts (it's a cheapo long-slot type and only one side of the elements are working as well as the mech to hold the handle down while it's working, but if not, a quick trip to 'Argos' is called for - damn!!!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I was born in the catalan pyrenees western area, in a place where all town's and river's names come from basque language.
Then you'll doubtless recognize the dog in my avatar.
@SIY, just to correct myself, because I was wrong. I've been doing some research, and to be precise, the difference of your dish are not the ingredients, which are common in some recipes which I wasn't aware of (you seem to know more than me :)), but the way to prepare or add them.

I can find some recipes with garlic and some with parsley, and some without onion. The garlic is always cut very small and cooked and added to the sofrito after the onion. That's why I said toy recipe was different because I've never seen a garlic, or a piece of it, in a paella, big enough to be clearly distinguishable. But the most interesting part is on the parsley, because you seem to treat it as a vegetable, and not as a condiment, and hence using a full leaf, not following the tradition here of cutting it very thing and adding it to the sofrito or adding it at the end as decoration or to aromatize, just like I often do with laurus.

However, we both seem to have cooking a recipe which is different from the original valencian one, because it doesn't have any sofrito, with onion, garlic or parsley, just tomato and spices. And it has meet, rabbit and chicken, and not sea food, that I did know. I thought it had some onion, but that seems to be a catalan addition. I'll try the original recipe at some point and post here again.

My thoughts however are that if we don't add meat or sea food, it's better to add more flavors. And, of course, cooking is creating.

As you see, I'm not a professional, just a practitioner, slave of its own culture.
It's American cooking. And of course, I wasn't working off a recipe, just your photo and description.

One of the delights of food here is that because we're an immigrant culture, we take bits and pieces of multiple cuisines, adapt them to our local ingredients, and make it our own. So yes, for example my wife and I can make a very credible pizza Napolitano vera, but as Americans, we're just as likely to make a Detroit-style pizza, which would be almost unrecognizable to a Neapolitan. Same thing with paella, we take the basic methods and ingredients of Spain (e.g., the bomba rice, pimenton, saffron), but are always interested in also using methods and ingredients from Italy or France.

Now, this blatant disregard for tradition can have a downside, and there are horrible humans who commit acts like putting pineapple on pizza, but every culture has its shames as well as its triumphs.

antennaguru

This is a Butterfly'd (aka Spatchcocked) young Chicken cooked in a Kamado grill over Royal Oak natural lump charcoal and baseball size Peach wood chunks. My chicken rub is mostly ground Orange and Lemon peel, with some ground Onion and Salt/Pepper:

Butterflyd.JPG

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
9C339D8C-3C92-4C47-AC66-F34B28843CCC.jpeg

Chicken tinga tacos with lettuce, pickled onions,
cilantro and sour cream. Missing from this is corn salsa.

Not my best plating job.

Top Bottom