• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Cooking? Show us Your Plated Food Photos!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
pkhali.jpg

Pkhali, spinach and squash. Next go-round, we'll add carrot and roasted eggplant varieties to the plate. Ridiculously good match to a local Amber Rkatsiteli.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not much to look at, especially since I reused a plastic takeout food container, but this freelanced concoction of stirfried baby brocolli, mushrooms and tofu atop a bed on noodles, topped with a ginger-soy-black vinegar-sesame oil dressing was mighty tasty.

_DSC0835.jpg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It's not much to look at, especially since I reused a plastic takeout food container, but this freelanced concoction of stirfried baby brocolli, mushrooms and tofu atop a bed on noodles, topped with a ginger-soy-black vinegar-sesame oil dressing was mighty tasty.

Bet you'd like this. I do them as a special every Friday and they're usually sold out by noon.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Bet you'd like this. I do them as a special every Friday and they're usually sold out by noon.
Is there such a thing as a bad peanut- or sesame paste noodle dish?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Is there such a thing as a bad peanut- or sesame paste noodle dish?
Sadly, yes, especially around here. That's what got me to try to make a really good one. Topped with julienned cucumber and scallion, then some chile crisp.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guisat de muntanya de botifarra i salsitxes amb patates, peres i bolets, amb toc de romaní i farigola.

Pork sausages (two kinds) stew with mushrooms, potatoes, pears and herbs. All ingredients are local, except for a bit of cocoa.

guisat.jpg

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Q: Why Parm instead of Manchego? (I have both)
Manchego wasn't born to be founded, but you can try of course. The risk is liking more the cheese than the rice. Parm is a much simpler cheese and a better condiment.

Just take a look at castilian cook. Their cheese is never an ingredient but a dish in itself.

May I ask, have you tried this kind of rice before? This is the best rice to do it. Let me know if you have any other question.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Manchego wasn't born to be founded, but you can try of course. The risk is liking more the cheese than the rice. Parm is a much simpler cheese and a better condiment.

Just take a look at castilian cook. Their cheese is never an ingredient but a dish in itself.

May I ask, have you tried this kind of rice before? This is the best rice to do it. Let me know if you have any other question.
I have Bomba and Valenciana. So no problem on the rice front- I cook paellas quite often.

1641509542920.jpeg

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We'll see after I try to do what you accomplished!;)
With this thick iron pan, heat control is going to be more (unnecessarily) difficult. With a thin paella, the cook stops immediately when you pull it from the stove. So control that the rice is completely dry, maybe a bit roasted in some places but not burned anywhere will be more difficult for you than it was for me (next time I'll take a photo of the inner detail too).

Reactions: SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
With this thick iron pan, heat control is going to be more (unnecessarily) difficult. With a thin paella, the cook stops immediately when you pull it from the stove. So control that the rice is completely dry, maybe a bit roasted in some places but not burned anywhere will be more difficult for you than it was for me (next time I'll take a photo of the inner detail too).
My paella pan isn't very thick (1.5-2mm maybe?) which is, as you say, a good thing! I can usually get a good socarrat without burning. I used to do them in the usual heavy cast iron pans, and it took some experimentation to get it right (key was low heat for a long time before starting the cooking, then finishing off in the oven). The current pan I use has the advantages of cast iron (no sticking), but much less heat retention.

This is also the reason why I use cheap carbon steel woks instead of big, heavy, expensive ones.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is also the reason why I use cheap carbon steel woks instead of big, heavy, expensive ones.
Most of the times an expensive tool is better, but in this case it's not, there isn't room for snake oil here. This is a modest people dish that had modest tools at their disposal. This dish used to be cooked outdoors, at the beach or wherever, so a light pan was good for that too.

The typical paella used here is indeed what you describe: thin and cheap carbon steel.

Reactions: SIY

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tonight's dinner: Wagyu cheesburger with carmelized onions and Siracha mayo, scalloped potatoes, and California vegetable medley.

1641610838741.jpeg

Top Bottom