• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Cooking? Show us Your Plated Food Photos!

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
e3I6GQW1RbGDw12zv8t0lg.jpg

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder about the difference between the deBuyer Mineral B and Matfer's carbon steel pans? I have one of the latter and it's excellent, but you have me curious...
https://www.thespruceeats.com/carbon-steel-vs-cast-iron-pans-what-s-the-difference-4796603

If I have to guess, I would say that carbon steel seats between cast iron and inox in terms of heat capacity, so perhaps it's suitable for both uses, "fast" and "slow" cooking. They say cast iron favors the maillard reaction (don't ask me why because my chemistry it's buried), which gives meat and fish a special color and taste, that restaurant touch, and also "seals" the piece, so it doesn't lose any of its fluids. When I got my de buyer and cooked the first hamburger I was literally shocked, finally I got this restaurant touch, without doing anything special really. I've recently bought another one suited for crêpes. I also have a new 28 cm de buyer carbon steel pan for rice and general purposes, but I haven't tried that yet.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
https://www.thespruceeats.com/carbon-steel-vs-cast-iron-pans-what-s-the-difference-4796603

If I have to guess, I would say that carbon steel seats between cast iron and inox in terms of heat capacity, so perhaps it's suitable for both uses, "fast" and "slow" cooking. They say cast iron favors the maillard reaction (don't ask me why because my chemistry it's buried), which gives meat and fish a special color and taste, that restaurant touch, and also "seals" the piece, so it doesn't lose any of its fluids. When I got my de buyer and cooked the first hamburger I was literally shocked, finally I got this restaurant touch, without doing anything special really. I've recently bought another one suited for crêpes. I also have a new 28 cm de buyer carbon steel pan for rice and general purposes, but I haven't tried that yet.
AFAIK, both Matfer and Mineral B are carbon steel.

We use Lodge for our cast iron.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AFAIK, both Matfer and Mineral B are carbon steel.

We use Lodge for our cast iron.
They have a Carbon Plus series and the Mineral B series, which they state it's made 99% iron. The Lodge is vitrified, like the Le creuset ones, right? In the place I buy these they put the Lodge and the mineral B in the same category.

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Today's lunch of roadkill offal from the Mineral B:
20220201_133831.jpg
20220201_133557.jpg

This is the heart, which I trimmed and sliced, spiced, and pressure steamed in the Instant Pot for 40 minutes, and then sliced into strips and added to some pan fried red onion, jalapeno, and mushrooms for some nice fajitas. As you can see, the pan has a little way to being seasoned, but I can already flip an egg without a spatula. Lots of careful thought went into the design of this to make things slip, slide, and flip nicely. When cool, it always feels like it has a thin layer of butter on it.

I have a ton of Lodge cast iron here, which I adore, but this pan is getting the most use as my new toy in the kitchen. I would say Lodge cast iron is better for slower stuff, and this covers the hot and fast side better. I probably prefer this for most medium because it is faster there too. It is quite heavy compared to Lodge CS, and of course lighter than Lodge CI. I would say it is probably a little heavy for smaller cooks to flip stuff; it is no Aluminum pan.

The Mineral B booklet says it is for medium and hot frying, so I have been trying to stick to those in general. Not sure if it is heat treated, but it has stayed flatter than my (definitely not heat treated) Lodge CI was at this stage in its life.

Time to go grab a big glass of water. Back to work in 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
They have a Carbon Plus series and the Mineral B series, which they state it's made 99% iron. The Lodge is vitrified, like the Le creuset ones, right? In the place I buy these they put the Lodge and the mineral B in the same category.
The Lodges we have are not vitrified. Nice black cast iron surfaces, which season beautifully.

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I wonder about the difference between the deBuyer Mineral B and Matfer's carbon steel pans? I have one of the latter and it's excellent, but you have me curious...
Haven't used Matfer, but looking at pictures, I'd go with the Mineral B for the 'Lyonnaise' curve at the edge for flipping and sliding.

Reactions: SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
As you can see, the pan has a little way to being seasoned, but I can already flip an egg without a spatula. Lots of careful thought went into the design of this to make things slip, slide, and flip nicely. When cool, it always feels like it has a thin layer of butter on it.
That looks very much like the seasoning and surface of my Matfer. I don't do much flipping in it since it's damn heavy and my forearms do not resemble Popeye's.

My curiosity is overwhelming now, so I think it's time to order a Mineral B just for comparison.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Lodges we have are not vitrified. Nice black cast iron surfaces, which season beautifully.
I believe that blackness of the lodge is the seasoning already done by the manufacturer. My brother is a blacksmith and I know from experience that iron pieces gain that black color when immersed into oil at high temperature. Not sure if vitrified it's the word, perhaps it's bluing, but that's the result of some additional treatment for sure.

The difference between the lodge and the mineral B is this and the fact that the lodge is cast, made in a cast, and the mineral B is not, but the material, metallurgically is the same.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I believe that blackness of the lodge is the seasoning already done by the manufacturer. My brother is a blacksmith and I know from experience that iron pieces gain that black color when immersed into oil at high temperature. Not sure if vitrified it's the word, perhaps it's bluing, but that's the result of some additional treatment for sure.

The difference between the lodge and the mineral B is this and the fact that the lodge is cast, made in a cast, and the mineral B is not, but the material, metallurgically is the same.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Definitely a different alloy for DeBuyer Mineral B and Lodge cast iron too as DeBuyer specifies 99% carbon and that is too low for a cast iron alloy. The cast iron will have a lower melting point than the steel.

The production process is definitely the most important difference. The Mineral B pan might be heat treated to add strength after forming, or it might not. I don't know. I am guessing it is because mine has stayed so flat. The Lodge cast iron is not heat treated, with the exception of a special line of products made for restaurants.

The black coating of polymerized cooking oil is called 'seasoning' whether it is done in the factory or at home, and whether it is done through normal use or through a more deliberate separate process. Lodge doesn't quench their cast iron in oil, they coat cold pans in thin layer of oil and bake them in an oven at a modest temperature. Quenching a much hotter pan in oil would result in a different, but also dark finish.

Vitrified is like the Le Creuset stuff, with a permanent ceramic/glass coating.

(Edit to change the initials into words for clarity.)

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I have the mineral B from DeBuyer. And also a lodge cast iron. The difference between the two is carbon steel vs cast iron. In use steel heats easily, within a minute. Cast iron holds heat longer but takes up to 6 minutes to get to the same heat.

In short: I use the cast iron for simmering a meal or slowly baking meat or giving a smokey flavour, while I use the steel for pancakes, baked eggs etc ( a wok is made of carbon steel too).

BTW: a carbon steel pan is ime the best for making beautifully thin and tasteful pancakes. They are cheap too.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Well, not mine, but the only plated food I could find:

spray01.jpg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The production process is definitely the most important difference. The Mineral B pan might be heat treated to add strength after forming, or it might not. I don't know. I am guessing it is because mine has stayed so flat.
Ditto the Matfer I use- it has stayed absolutely flat, which is more than I can say for the All Clad pans I have.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
they coat cold pans in thin layer of oil and bake them in an oven at a modest temperature.
That's what I do with the mineral B, at 250 C / 482 F with linseed oil.
Ditto the Matfer I use- it has stayed absolutely flat, which is more than I can say for the All Clad pans I have.
My mineral B is a year old and I use it almost daily. It's still perfectly flat and I have no reason to believe it will change since I've done everything to it, including forgetting to remove from stove.

Top Bottom