• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Basic global COVID-10 statistics - updates automatically just like a stock ticker, but not as often. LINK

Is there information on total tests given for other countries? Total positive cases in context of total tests gives a lot more meaningful info.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the link has all the info - don't understand your question

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there information on total tests given for other countries? Total positive cases in context of total tests gives a lot more meaningful info.

Indeed - but I haven't found a webpage that aggregates global testing data.

Even with my posting about the cursory and unconfirmed statistic that the U.S. has surpassed China in number of cases, I agree with others who say that currently published stats are not truly reliable for many reasons. In fact, I doubt that we will ever see truly accurate comprehensive stats on COVID-10. There are too many variables across too many countries and cultures.

There are likely asymptomatic carriers spreading the virus at all levels around the globe, and I see no way that such information could be captured. One action that does provide a bit of non-invasive screening capability is forehead temperature measurement, but that is not a reliable method to actually detect COVID-19 cases.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So much for our US leaders role-modeling keeping adequate distance between people. Here's photo of the stimulus bill signing in the Oval Office today from CNBC.com.

1585359411367.png

Tks

Major Contributor
That ingratiating pose everyone takes while standing behind a leader makes me cringe so bad... It's like... Can you please hop off the man's nuts already? We get it, you're a groveling dogs that would do anything for him.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So much for our US leaders role-modeling keeping adequate distance between people. Here's photo of the stimulus bill signing in the Oval Office today from CNBC.com.

View attachment 55989
Such behavior is an obvious tell. The virus escaped or was released by the USA into Wuhan. It has come back here, but our gov't leaders have been immunized and need not actually practice social distancing. (Obviously they didn't immunize Rand Paul as he doesn't go along often enough).

All you need is a little bit of conspiracy-mindedness, and all is explained.

Note:no I'm not serious.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At Parkland hospital they are currently OK. Because they are a state hospital in a very large metro area they are what you could call a "doomsday prepper" type facility. (Borrowing that phrase my friend who works there.) They are built for emergencies like this, although the scale covid-19 could certainly test their limits.

As for other healthcare facilities in TX: I don't know. I have a couple other friends in home health (both do in-home physical therapy); anecdotally those workers do not have the PPE they need.
I’ve been trying to get someone to notice the UV-C light sources I’ve spoke about that I see some news in Nebraska about.

The Chinese used autonomous robots to “apply” the light in some of the facilities after in order to “disinfect”.

Nebraska is using it to make the PPE last longer by reusing it.

I saw something mentioned about what they did with the same technology during/after the Ebola outbreak.

Even using UV reflective paint on the walls to concentrate as much UV into the surfaces of all the equipment in the room.

Not sure why I’ve only seen Nebraska in the search I’ve done but kudos for a different approach.

P.S. UV-C is damaging to skin and eyes in this concentrated amount so a remote type of on/off of light and or protection is required.

I’ve researched a little more and there seems to be a “far” UV-C wavelength that is shorter and therefore might not pose the same risk as the longer wavelength of normal UV-C.

UV-C is around 254nm I believe while Far UV-C is around 222nm

gikigill

Such behavior is an obvious tell. The virus escaped or was released by the USA into Wuhan. It has come back here, but our gov't leaders have been immunized and need not actually practice social distancing. (Obviously they didn't immunize Rand Paul as he doesn't go along often enough).

Rand Paul was the canary in the coal mine.

(Takes off tinfoil hat)

Phewww :) :)

digicidal

Major Contributor
WOW! I can't believe my state gets an "A" - too bad none of our public school attendees will ever see one. :facepalm:
Social_Distancing.png

Looking at those last graphs from Maty, what has Iran done to flatten their curve? Looks like the only recent success?
Probably something inhuman based on previous history... but here's hoping I'm totally off-base on that assumption.

How about something like: "Genomic epidemiology of novel coronavirus - interactive charts and graphs"... not too hard.
BTW... although describing a scary topic, that radial chart is oddly appealing to me on a purely aesthetic level as well. Cool site.
covid_Genomic_chart.png

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

No this is true , our PM and health secretary are pretending to have it to throw us off the scent.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not suprisingly the response is just like everything else in life including hifi.
People search the internet, not for facts, but for somebody somewhere they feel vindicates and authenticates their existing opinion. Then they are relieved because they can feel they are right.
It is very typical but depressing.
Korea and Taiwan reacted quickly - having had experience of SARS perhaps? So far they look better than elsewhere.
I still think it is worth being conservative, we will learn a lot once all the data is in.
As usual I fear the only thing we will learn from the experience is that people don't learn from experience.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

I don't want to have to click on every random link without a better idea of what's in it.

A random link with no information is less useful. That's fine...i can skip them.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Indeed - but I haven't found a webpage that aggregates global testing data.

It does seem hard to find..

This shows something...

Screenshot_20200328-043000.png

Now, adding this, it gives a lot more useful info, as testing follows the outbreak...

Screenshot_20200328-043743.png

Tricky business trying to make sense of it.

There is a new 5 minute test...hopefully that facilitates much broader coverage, which is when we'll find out what's going on.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/abb...ct-coronavirus-in-as-little-as-5-minutes.html

maty

Major Contributor
Tarragona province,

Tuesday: 197
Wednesday: 272
Thrusday night: 353 positives (verified just now)
Friday night: 404 positives

Rate: 51/353 -> 8.1% :)

In our province (795,000 inhabitants in 2019, Tarragona city: 134,515 in 2019) the Spanish-style quarantine works.

Perhaps on Tuesday they will tighten the restrictions but it seems that it will not be necessary. In Tarragona it came later and with some days with rates of almost 40% of new daily infections but the fall has been very fast!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom