• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While you are staying at home, maybe it's time for a new hobby: https://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Whisky-Still/
Oh... I have considered a fractional distillation tower for making vodka. The problem is the Excise Act laws in Canada prohibit distilling spirits without a license. It's illegal to even own the fractional distillation setup without a good excuse like a medical need for distilled water. I've read alll about it.... :D

maty

Major Contributor
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch
-> https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

covid-19-FT-NY-Catalonia-Madrid-Lombardia-27032020.jpg

covid-19-FT-NY-Catalonia-NY-Ile_de_France-London-27032020.jpg

covid-19-FT-Spain-France-US-UK-27032020.jpg

covid-19-FT-USA-27032020.png

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Hmmz. My online grocery shopping list went up in cost by ~$34.00 overnight. That's on a ~$250.00 previous balance that is now ~$284.00 Price increases noticed especially on meat.

Huh, that's a good catch. I wonder if that's even legal in the U.S. (to raise prices after a person has placed an online order)? Possible that the laws on grocery pricing vary state to state here.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow, great read. Some points really hit home:

"You will miss your adult children like you never have before; the realisation that you have no idea when you will ever see them again will hit you like a punch in the chest. "

It was so painful to disinvite our children from planned visits to us a couple of weeks ago. For one, it was his birthday. We chatted with them on the phone, all along with heavy heart wondering the same as quote above.

As with Italy, we are ahead of much of US. I spoke to my brother in Texas a few weeks ago and while we were in full swing of this virus, there as no impact on them whatsoever then. I warned him to take this seriously and that what was happening to us, will happen to them as well.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looking at those last graphs from Maty, what has Iran done to flatten their curve? Looks like the only recent success?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
As with Italy, we are ahead of much of US. I spoke to my brother in Texas a few weeks ago and while we were in full swing of this virus, there as no impact on them whatsoever then.

That is very true, although things are catching up in TX. Where I live (Travis County) is now under a shelter-in-place order. I also have a good friend that works at a state hospital in Dallas (Parkland) and in the last week their staff has been coming to grips with the reality that COVID-19 is starting to hit the DFW area.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"You will miss your adult children like you never have before; the realisation that you have no idea when you will ever see them again will hit you like a punch in the chest. "
We have a fairly large garden so for Mothering Sunday our son, daughter-in-law and 3 of our grandchildren came over and sat outside and we opened a window to chat to them.
That is against the "rules" now, strictly speaking, so birthdays and so forth will be on Facetime. Thank goodness for Facetime.
I have hereditary chronic kidney disease so am not supposed to go anywhere but am due to donate platelets at the Oxford hospital blood donor centre soon but don't know if I'll be allowed despite the demand.
I believe in being conservative in reaction. If it turns out I didn't need to stay at home so long I lose little (just money) but it may save me to annoy everybody a bit longer.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Crappy photo I took from one of the IBM mgmt courses I attended way back. This one stuck with me and has helped me focusing on the right things in various more or less troubled times.

View attachment 55953
I can control how many beers I put in the fridge but I can't control how many I drink so I'm focusing on putting more in ha ha

D

Deleted member 65

I can control how many beers I put in the fridge but I can't control how many I drink so I'm focusing on putting more in ha ha

Right Thomas, you’re doing the right thing being in the Circle of control!

Edit: You just stepped into my Circle of indirect influence, need to stock some more beer

gikigill

Crappy photo I took from one of the IBM mgmt courses I attended way back. This one stuck with me and has helped me focusing on the right things in various more or less troubled times.

View attachment 55953

That's a quote from a book about Stoicism..

“We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality.”

Lucius Seneca.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh... I have considered a fractional distillation tower for making vodka. The problem is the Excise Act laws in Canada prohibit distilling spirits without a license. It's illegal to even own the fractional distillation setup without a good excuse like a medical need for distilled water. I've read alll about it.... :D

Throughout North America, the trend is towards legality for growing weed for personal use, but running a still in many places is somehow a crime. Crazy, isn't it?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Throughout North America, the trend is towards legality for growing weed for personal use, but running a still in many places is somehow a crime. Crazy, isn't it?
I don't see the distillation laws changing for the better. It's too easy to make the stuff and is somewhat flammable too. :D

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is very true, although things are catching up in TX. Where I live (Travis County) is now under a shelter-in-place order. I also have a good friend that works at a state hospital in Dallas (Parkland) and in the last week their staff has been coming to grips with the reality that COVID-19 is starting to hit the DFW area.
Are they short on PPE also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom