• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Went to Sam's Club this morning.

Found Police and a long long line of folks waiting to get in.

---

Walking back to the car, past the "pickup" area:

There was one car being filled with a few packages.

Asked the "Pickup Lady" if this is how ordering online works.

Yes.

Asked if they hated us if we shopped online.

No. "I love my job."

Ooh. Ok. Thank You.

Walked back to car, came home, took a nap.

Will try the online stuff later.

Still looking for hamburger buns (well, they're on my shopping list)

gikigill

Aussie supermarkets seem to be holding up.

Bit of a hiccup last week with shelves cleared out but seem to have returned to normalcy now.

Purchase limits in place on a few essential items and a few percent price increase but seems like business as usual and the atmosphere seems normal.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm::( The U.S. has the distinction of being the first nation with more than 100,000 confirmed cases of COVID-10...

LINK

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LINK to UK Independent story about a Lancaster, California boy whose death is linked to COVID-19

A 17-year-old whose death was initially linked to the novel coronavirus despite not having any previously reported health conditions was denied treatment at a California medical facility over his lack of insurance, according to the mayor.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Looking at those last graphs from Maty, what has Iran done to flatten their curve? Looks like the only recent success?

It may be a reporting issue...?

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/24/how-iran-botched-coronavirus-pandemic-response/
:facepalm::( The U.S. has the distinction of being the first nation with more than 100,000 confirmed cases of COVID-10...

LINK

Looks like we're finally getting that testing ramped up. Showing more positive results will be a natural consequence...

Screenshot_20200327-180323.png

Hopefully this one stays under control... There are places suffering greatly out there.

Screenshot_20200327-180936.png

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Are they short on PPE also?

At Parkland hospital they are currently OK. Because they are a state hospital in a very large metro area they are what you could call a "doomsday prepper" type facility. (Borrowing that phrase my friend who works there.) They are built for emergencies like this, although the scale covid-19 could certainly test their limits.

As for other healthcare facilities in TX: I don't know. I have a couple other friends in home health (both do in-home physical therapy); anecdotally those workers do not have the PPE they need.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

LINK

Numbers of confirmed cases mean nothing unless we know how many tests have been conducted. I’d like to see statistics on number of tests conducted vs. positive results. Number of tests conducted vs. population would be interesting, too.

Martin

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Numbers of confirmed cases mean nothing unless we know how many tests have been conducted. I’d like to see statistics on number of tests conducted vs. positive results. Number of tests conducted vs. population would be interesting, too.

Martin

That's what I think I'm seeing in that first chart in my above post...looks like about 630,000?

dwkdnvr

Martin
Yeah, it was useful to track 'cases' back when there was a relatively uniform (i.e. minimal) testing level. Now that testing is ramping up, I don't think 'cases' is very useful. Hospitalizations is probably the better metric to watch, although the criteria for admission may not be consistent either and reporting doesn't seem to break it out explicitly in most that I've seen

Putter

Forum Donor
As I understand it pale Nordic complexions get enough sunlight on the exposed hands and face even in winter.
Here in the UK the people who have trouble are the immigrants from the Empire whose skin is entirely unsuited to our climate. They do suffer Vit-D deficiency in winter here.

There is no UVB in sunlight late Fall through early Spring which is required for production of Vitamin D. Vitamin D is fat soluble so that essentially what happens is that it is accumulated in the fat in Summer. Most surveys have shown Vitamin D deficiency in all European countries. The Nordic countries do eat more fatty fish which are one of the few good sources of dietary Vitamin D.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Media doomsday predictions don’t match reality. Video worth watching.

Dr. Deborah Birx on Modeling
Dr. Deborah Birx talks about the models that have been used to predict coronavirus spread and how new data is changing how they use the models. "The predictions of the models don't match the reality on the ground," she says.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4864096/dr-deborah-birx-modeling

"Models are models," — "When people start talking about 20% of a population getting infected, it's very scary, but we don't have data that matches that based on our experience."

...media should not "make the implication that when they need a hospital bed it's not going to be there, or a ventilator, it's not going to be there, we don't have evidence of that."

”There is no model right now -- no reality on the ground where we can see that 60% to 70% of Americans are going to get infected in the next eight to 12 weeks. I want to be clear about that."

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no UVB in sunlight late Fall through early Spring which is required for production of Vitamin D. Vitamin D is fat soluble so that essentially what happens is that it is accumulated in the fat in Summer. Most surveys have shown Vitamin D deficiency in all European countries. The Nordic countries do eat more fatty fish which are one of the few good sources of dietary Vitamin D.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5037520/

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn’t see that. Stats for the US. I’d like to the same numbers for the rest of the world.

Basic global COVID-10 statistics - updates automatically just like a stock ticker, but not as often. LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom