• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschmit2

Coronavirus: Italy towns in lockdown after COVID-19 deaths
Two deaths from the coronavirus have rocked the peninsular as numerous towns took emergency measures to prevent the virus from spreading. Almost 80 cases have now been reported.

South Korea cases doubles in single day
South Korea reported on Sunday two more deaths from the coronavirus and 123 new cases, bringing the total to 556, having doubled from Friday to Saturday. The two deaths take the nationwide toll to four.
source: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-italy-towns-in-lockdown-after-covid-19-deaths/a-52477823
reliability of source: high https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/dw-news/

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
South Korea:
South Korea raises virus alert level to 'highest' as cases spike
Source: https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200223004051315?section=national/national

What does this mean?
There's no information about this "red" level.
As far as I understand it, it allows South Korean government to take action regardless of current laws...something similar to Martial Law.

Iran:
The following countries closed borders to Iran:
1. Armenia (source)
2. Pakistan (source)
3. Afghanistan (source)
4. Turkey (source)
This is a serious response from Iran's neighboring countries...clearly they see the 'writing on the wall'.

***Personal opinion***
Redacted...speculative!

Last edited:

BeepPeep_61

Hello guys ,
I live in Brescia in Lombardy, a few tens of kilometers from the countries where three people died and the cases of contagion are for now in this region 118 and a closure perimeter of a territory has been installed.
All schools of all levels are closed including universities and tomorrow my son will also stay at home.
In supermarkets we have already seen scenes from films with people who buy everything they can !!!
Someone tells us that it is just a normal influence, but the feeling is that it will not be so in the near future unfortunately !!!

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Iran is the less trusty planet in the region.

lotse888

South Korea:

Source: https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200223004051315?section=national/national

What does this mean?
There's no information about this "red" level.
As far as I understand it, it allows South Korean government to take action regardless of current laws...something similar to Martial Law.

Iran:

This is a serious response from Iran's neighboring countries...clearly they see the 'writing on the wall'.

Let's do some math...
Iran's official counts of "confirmed infected" is at 43 and deaths at 8. (source)
If we are to believe that this virus has a mortality of 0.9% (as per BNO, excluding China's and Iran's questionable data)(2008 infected, and 18 deaths, so far, which is 0.9%).
Basic math: 8/(0.9%)=888
Which means that Iran's 'confirmed infected' should be around 888....and not 43.
IMO...Iran is GROSSLY under-reporting the outbreak.
Which likely puts Iran on the #1 infected cases, outside of China.

Don't mean to criticize. I don't think your "calculation" is scientific. 1) the sample size is too small (8 deaths). 2) we don't know anything about the patients, including their health conditions before they passed away, and under what conditons did they contract the disease etc. For example, the infection rate observed is much higher on the Diamond Princess, based on the data released. And we know it is most likely due to the environment in which the people were subjected to and not a "typical" scenario.

I understand that people have biases and "notions" about certain countries on their "honesty/trustworthiness". We all have biases and that is something that we can never deny. I am not here to change anyone's mind or judge anyone. I just think that we should make "claims" based on data/evidence, in the spirit of this forum.

Regards,

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Hello guys ,
I live in Brescia in Lombardy, a few tens of kilometers from the countries where three people died and the cases of contagion are for now in this region 118 and a closure perimeter of a territory has been installed.
All schools of all levels are closed including universities and tomorrow my son will also stay at home.
In supermarkets we have already seen scenes from films with people who buy everything they can !!!
Someone tells us that it is just a normal influence, but the feeling is that it will not be so in the near future unfortunately !!!

It's a very important precaution yes. One day @ a time ...

Putter

Forum Donor
When will the coronavirus outbreak peak?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00361-5

Optimist: Already
Pessimist: between late March and late May. At this point, up to 2.3 million cases will be diagnosed in a single day. In total, estimates that between 550 million and 650 million people across China will be infected

Best Advice: Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaltine....

I would actually to stock up on Vitamin D and ideally get your levels tested.

These outbreaks (flu, SARS, corona virus) all seem to occur in winter where most area don't get the proper wavelength of UV needed to make Vitamin D due to sun angle. China with its high levels of air pollution likely has most of the UV filtered even in the summer. Some of this is intuitive, but a quick check finds an article from Science Daily Vitamin D protects against colds and flu, finds major global study https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170216110002.htm . While it does not prove that it will be effective against the Corona virus, I would certainly consider taking Vitamin D supplements (that would be D3 in liquid form as opposed to dry), esp for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere. For more info on the 'Sunshine Vitamin' check out the The Vitamin D Council. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to autoimmune diseases such as Type 1 Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis, Heart Disease and various kinds of cancers.

OP
A

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would actually to stock up on Vitamin D and ideally get your levels tested.

These outbreaks (flu, SARS, corona virus) all seem to occur in winter where most area don't get the proper wavelength of UV needed to make Vitamin D due to sun angle. China with its high levels of air pollution likely has most of the UV filtered even in the summer. Some of this is intuitive, but a quick check finds an article from Science Daily Vitamin D protects against colds and flu, finds major global study https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170216110002.htm . While it does not prove that it will be effective against the Corona virus, I would certainly consider taking Vitamin D supplements (that would be D3 in liquid form as opposed to dry), esp for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere. For more info on the 'Sunshine Vitamin' check out the The Vitamin D Council. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to autoimmune diseases such as Type 1 Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis, Heart Disease and various kinds of cancers.

Stock surgical / N95 masks and sanitizers like IP Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide instead.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'll just stay home, listen to Mozart's Requiem Mass, and order everything online to be delivered or for drive-thru pickup.

DKT88

I'll just stay home, listen to Mozart's Requiem Mass, and order everything online to be delivered or for drive-thru pickup.
I'm at that point already, in South Korea. Went to work today and had to got through a health checkpoint at the gate to the Kori Nuclear Power Station. They took my temperature with a camera. Asked me some questions about travel to outbreak areas and whether I have a cough. Told me I had to wear the mask at the site. Since I'm a professor and classes are delayed a few weeks I just bailed after an hour and came back to the apartment. Got my audio system and a new OLED tv.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The Requiem Mass seems a bit ghoulish in this context.

It would not seem particularly inappropriate to me, given the 2,619 souls currently counted as gone.

requiem
3 b: a musical composition in honor of the dead

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Wombat

Master Contributor
I seems like the effective quarantine period may be extended to 28 days.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

Wombat

Master Contributor
Any idea what the chances of death are now if contracting this virus?

It depends on exposure, health service expertise and service capacity, government commitment and preventive action, population density and your age or individual susceptibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom