• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Chinese health officials say that about 14% of people who had the coronavirus but recovered and were discharged from hospital have tested positive for the virus again.

Question: Is this
1) medical, diagnosis and discharge errors
2) a true reinfection
3) a dormancy and flareup cycle similar to a herpes virus perpetual life-cycle

#3 would be an issue

A lack of knowledge ...

North_Sky

Major Contributor

North_Sky

Major Contributor

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
South Korea:
The amazing doctors in Deagu here in South Korea sent us this. A picture of their new drive- thru coronavirus test facility. (twitter)
1582857967522.png

Apparently, this method allows the doctors to test patients in about 10 minutes (reddit AMA South Korean).
Imagine you're driving, waiting for 10 minutes, and then getting tested within 10 minutes. "Result of test will become available later."

Net, Net, I think we need to send doctors from around the world to South Korea...their testing method is world-class! :cool:

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going without any face mask unlike some Asians I see when I am out and about. I'm leaving it up to nature. I survived the very very nasty swine flu of the late 1960's and early 1970's, measles, mumps, many bouts of pertussis and pneumonia and some really nasty flues of which I am supposed to be vaccinated for (cross fingers). If I make it I make it :cool:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Don't chase after the shadow, look for the thing itself, and it will reveal itself to you

Just don't side-track by noise and waste your energy, focus on the signal itself.

It's not what you believe and read, it's what you see and eat.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I'm just waiting for those testing kits to get fully distributed so we can watch how they spin there being thousands of cases here already. Are we really supposed to believe there's a single community transmission? Spontaneous occurrence? That's not the definition of "community" where I'm from and the fact that it was only exposed after bugging the CDC for four days to even authorize the test is very, very telling. Here's how they addressed the case... note nothing about being contacted previously and denying testing because it didn't fit their criteria.

I'm going without any face mask unlike some Asians I see when I am out and about. I'm leaving it up to nature. I survived the very very nasty swine flu of the late 1960's and early 1970's, measles, mumps, many bouts of pertussis and pneumonia and some really nasty flues of which I am supposed to be vaccinated for (cross fingers). If I make it I make it :cool:
On some level I can appreciate the reasoning... on the other hand, I'm not going to volunteer to be on a respirator, upside down, in an induced coma just to find out where I'm at on the statistics. :eek:

Last edited:

DKT88

Don't chase after the shadow, look for the thing itself, and it will reveal itself to you

Just don't side-track by noise and waste your energy, focus on the signal itself.
the world can worry about the origin of the virus later, much bigger fish to fry at this point than whether it came from a bio lab or a seafood market. Barn door is open. I'm here in South Korea surrounded by the outbreak and I can tell you we don't care about conspiracy theories today. We are more interested in practical survival.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the world can worry about the origin of the virus later, much bigger fish to fry at this point than whether it came from a bio lab or a seafood market. Barn door is open. I'm here in South Korea surrounded by the outbreak and I can tell you we don't care about conspiracy theories today. We are more interested in practical survival.

If it did come from a biolab, there would probably be more information to be shared, immediately and possible counter measures to be shared. Not so much if it came from a wet market.

SDC

South Korea:

View attachment 52024

Apparently, this method allows the doctors to test patients in about 10 minutes (reddit AMA South Korean).
Imagine you're driving, waiting for 10 minutes, and then finding out whether you're infected or not. :D

Net, Net, I think we need to send doctors from around the world to South Korea...their testing method is world-class! :cool:

Unfortunately, no rtPcR can be done in 10min.
It takes 10 min to get samples I guess

SDC

If it did come from a biolab, there would probably be more information to be shared, immediately and possible counter measures to be shared. Not so much if it came from a wet market.
If it came from biolab they would share nothing cause its better for them if the world think it’s from the market not the lab.

Not into conspiracies but I don’t like China:rolleyes:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Unfortunately, no rtPcR can be done in 10min.
It takes 10 min to get samples I guess
the entire procedure taking less than 10 minutes.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-through-coronavirus-test-facilities-12477046

his new idea shortens time spent on testing to just 10 minutes per person
https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...th-korea-underscores-nimble/story?id=69226222

with the entire procedure taking less than 10 minutes.
https://nypost.com/2020/02/27/south-korea-launches-drive-thru-coronavirus-testing-facilities/

Last edited:

SDC

접수부터 의료진 면담, 체온 측정, 코와 입의 검체 채취까지 10분 안에 가능하다.
https://m.news.naver.com/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=102&oid=025&aid=0002979097

Not the test result. But everything before that can be done in 10 min.

After test we go home and wait for the results to come

세종시는 "그동안 의심환자 등을 한 명 검사할 때마다 진료실을 소독해야 해 검체 채취까지 30분 이상 걸렸지만, 드라이브 스루 방식을 도입해 시간을 줄일 수 있을 것"이라고 밝혔다.

It did shorten the waiting line. The wait in tent method did take longer

PS. 세종시 is not persons name. It is http://www.sejong.go.kr/ yup ‘go.kr’

Last edited:

DKT88

What information? The complete genetic sequence is available https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genbank/sars-cov-2-seqs/ . What information are you talking about? What countermeasures, specifically, are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom