• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Wombat

Master Contributor

North_Sky

Major Contributor
A Pandemic is very likely.

Published on Feb 25, 2020
"During an update on the spread of the novel coronavirus in the U.S. on Tuesday, Dr. Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said during a media availability on Tuesday that it’s likely the new coronavirus will cause a pandemic.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, added that a vaccine for the novel coronavirus, known as COVID-19, would likely begin human trials within a month and a half, but cautioned a vaccine would not be available to the public for at least another year."

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Caught part of an interview on Julie Mason on Potus on SirriusXM today. I didn't catch the name of the US health official, but the point was it's not if COVID-19 will spread in the US, but when. And it's time for everyone in the US to prepare for their lives to change for a while due to things like potential school closings, and to find out what the policy is for people to work at home (who can).

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Correct, it's a question of when...here in North America.
And I'd say lives have already changed...all the people related to the stock markets...that's a whole bunch of us.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
World:
With Brazil's new coronavirus case, every continent with the exception of Antarctica now has at least one case.

Germany:
Germany's health minister says the country is at the start of an epidemic, urges local officials to prepare for a pandemic (source)
-Germany is at 27 confirmed cases, 0 deaths.

Iran:
The president urged Iranians to avoid non-essential travel to affected areas, but stressed that they need not worry about being locked down for a week or more. "We have no plan to quarantine any district or any city. We only quarantine individuals. If an individual has early symptoms, that person must be quarantined." (source)
-Iran is at 139 confirmed cases, 19 deaths.

Iraq:
Iraq closes all schools and universities for at least 10 days to prevent the spread of coronavirus (source)
-Iraq is at 5 confirmed cases, 0 deaths.

Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia suspends entry for religious purposes and for tourists from countries where coronavirus is spreading. (source)
-Saudi Arabia is at 0 confirmed cases, 0 deaths.

South Korea:
South Korea has the most number of infections reported, outside of China, and growing quickly (see chart below).
-South Korea is at 1261 confirmed cases, 12 deaths.
1582758627110.png

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
USA:
President Trump and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force Hold a News Conference

My paraphrasing is shown below...as I'm watching it. If you want to see direct quotes, watch the video.

Trump said:
-The risk of infection remains very low in USA
-Flu kills from 29-69k people in USA per year.
-USA is screening people from entering USA from infected countries
-We're very very ready for this.
-As per Johns Hopkins university study, USA is #1 country that's prepared for this outbreak.

President has put Vice President Mike Pence (wiki), in charge of leading the USA government's response to the COVID-19.

Task force members speaking:
-Americans can find information about the virus from https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
-We can't rely on a vaccine over the next several months to a year.
-Our aggressive containment strategy in the USA has been working. However, we do expect more cases and this is a good time to prepare.

Q/A with President:
-All members will report to Mike Pence and Mike will report to Trump
-15 infected people might go down to 0 in a couple of days.
-Every aspect of our society should be preparing...but I don't think it will come to that.
-USA might have to restrict travel to and from Italy and South Korea at some point, but 'right now' is not the right time.
-We're not going to loosen the travel instructions to China, until the situation is safe.
-There's a chance that it won't spread, and there's a chance that it will spread.

NO Q/a with Task force members.

END.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Germany is at the beginning of a coronavirus epidemic after new cases sprung up that can no longer be traced to the virus’s original source in China, Health Minister Jens Spahn said.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BREAKING: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been informed of the first case of the coronavirus in a person who did not recently return from a foreign country or have contact with a confirmed case.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hope my mcintosh gear isnt delayed because of ongoing developments....... :[

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Or worse. Hope you don't get sick w/ the coronavirus :facepalm: By the way congrats on a excellent lifelong purchase of your new McIntosh gear.
I'd rather suffer with the flu for a week if it meant I'd get my gear at the end of it >__>
and thank you! '^'

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
maybe the blue lights will break down the capsid on the virus...

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
BREAKING: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been informed of the first case of the coronavirus in a person who did not recently return from a foreign country or have contact with a confirmed case.
It begins...

From US CDC:
1582765003735.png

This case is in Northern California.

UPDATE:
The patient with coronavirus is a resident of Solano County and is receiving medical care in Sacramento County (source).

UPDATE2:
Details on what happened. (source)
1582771550239.png

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hope my mcintosh gear isnt delayed because of ongoing developments....... :[

That would prolong the agony wouldn't it...

In the mean time...
Have you gotten your playlist together for your first listening session?

Based on the name, maybe settle into some Brothers in Arms?

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
That would prolong the agony wouldn't it...

In the mean time...
Have you gotten your playlist together for your first listening session?

Based on the name, maybe settle into some Brothers in Arms?
Yes! I plan to put on Alchemy: Dire Straits Live on first thing. I have an original west germany cd pressing of it. Once Upon a time in the west sounds just beautiful on this CD. In fact, I got the full suite of albums lined up ready to go.

F87ABAAD-A42C-431C-B547-339F966E4C04.jpeg

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Woops sorry for upside down pic. :oops:
At least I can watch the world burn from the safety of my apartment room while listening to dire straits. Until the horde of zombies arrives at my front door anyway...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yes! I plan to put on Alchemy: Dire Straits Live on first thing. I have an original west germany cd pressing of it. Once Upon a time in the west sounds just beautiful on this CD. In fact, I got the full suite of albums lined up ready to go.

View attachment 51890

Most Worthy choices...

I know we will hear your impressions. I look forward to it.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Woops sorry for upside down pic. :oops:
At least I can watch the world burn from the safety of my apartment room while listening to dire straits. Until the horde of zombies arrives at my front door anyway...
Southern hemisphere dweller? ;)

oh, and -- mightn't this be a better choice, thematically?

or... perhaps... even...

B)

EDIT: or, perhaps better still:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom