• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What was the 1st system that made you go WOW!!!!

Hilltop

Forum Donor
Never been wowed except for early DTS 5.1 in the late 90s. Its was new and cool.

For stereo i heard some BW diamonds in a showroom and thought they sounded nice. .

minor1000

Did you ever have the opportunity to compare with LX-Mini? I paid SL his design fee for those a number of years ago but so far have done nothing because my current set of Plutos already sound very good to my ears!
Yes, I built a pair of those also.
I prefer the LXmini's to the Pluto's.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The first "I can't believe the sound of this thing" sort of wow, was the Harold Beveridge electrostatic, with matching OTL electronics. They were actually working that day. ;)

As I recall the source was one of those Doug Sax direct to disc recordings played on a Denon DP-80 and Denon 103D cartridge. I don't recall the tonearm. Bev's speaker was like you were swimming in the sound. Really weird (but not unpleasant) sonic presentation. I'd never heard anything like that. Very unique.

The speakers were designed to be placed in the middle of a room, facing each other. The special lens 'spread out' the sound into a uniform 180 degree wave, throughout the listening area. The speaker came with some subs, but they didn't seem to be well integrated. At least when I was there. Electronics were said to be very unreliable, but that's sort of par for the tweako course.

hb.gif

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hearing 901’s back in the 70’s maybe. They took your breath away. Second Wow moment was hearing JTR Speakers and massive Subs. Feeling ULF the first time I ran out of the room. Like it kicked in my innate fight or flight instinct. ULF is the crack of Audio. Electrostatic speakers is another Wow moment for me.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Really or are you kidding. Or maybe it was a "wow what a pos this is", maybe?
I didn't care for them, but back in 1971-2 or so they were pretty impressive. Far different from most anything else one had heard up until that time. The company I frequented and later worked for had them running off of a Mac 2300.

hex168

A few WOW moments: first was the Infinity Monitor Jr, a 3-way with a dome mid, designed for placement on stands well out from the wall. Excellent depth and imaging for the day (1976). It did a lot right, compared to the systems of the time. Would love to see a spin.

Next WOW experience was the Apogee Duetta.

And then the Infinity IRS (1980).

Then the Eminent Technology LFT-8 (1989), WOW, if less so than the IRS and a more reasonable price.

Hmm. That's a point, about lots of dipoles on this list.

JRS

Major Contributor
I didn't care for them, but back in 1971-2 or so they were pretty impressive. Far different from most anything else one had heard up until that time. The company I frequented and later worked for had them running off of a Mac 2300.
Agreed--they were different enough from anything out there as to truly capture one's attention. Whether they held it or not another story. I hung a pair for a dance (think ballet) studio that served their purpose very well for many years. They did one thing very well--spread music around a room, hence my choice.

JRS

Major Contributor
A few WOW moments: first was the Infinity Monitor Jr, a 3-way with a dome mid, designed for placement on stands well out from the wall. Excellent depth and imaging for the day (1976). It did a lot right, compared to the systems of the time. Would love to see a spin.
I recall that line of Infinity's; they did a lot well, and always worth a listen when I stopped at Pacific Stereo.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It was not a system that made me WOW it was an room with quite perfect acoustic condition that WOW me. When i moved magic was gone only the last 5 years i got it back making use of room correction software.

2ndHarm

Used to be a professional audio business that also did some retail. They had a set of Fostex studio monitors with 12" woofer in a teak veneer cabinet which had a mounted teak horn and a super tweeter. Not sure what was powering these but whenever I coaxed them for a bit of a listen they were just unbelievable.
Second was a set of Klipschorns with a SUMO class A amp, preamp and Oracle turntable.
A short time later I first heard Quad ESL's. These very speakers are set up in my listening room today forty years later.
That was my first experience with audio that approached live listening levels - a pair of Klipschorns in a stereo store.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really or are you kidding. Or maybe it was a "wow what a pos this is", maybe?

It was context-dependent I think. I still have my pair of 901s and, honestly, I never regretted purchasing them. Back then, the SPL they were able to produce was impressive. I did a few birthdays and school parties with them (although the "proper" version to use would have been the more rugged 801s). Everyone in the room benefited from a stereo image, yes a fuzzy and different one for everyone, but still. The meticulous friend who rushed to buy the CDP 101 had Elipson, as I said above. Those were very nice at the sweet spot, but awful outside of it. Symphonic music at high volume was much better on the 901s though. The only speakers I heard that were clearly above back then were the KEF 105

Today, compared to something like the Focals, they are of course laughable. But context is really important. After years on green and amber screens, or later 8 bits color personal computers, 1024x768 16-bit SVGA looked like real life to me :)

We can test old amplifiers and see that some of them already performed quite well, even by today's standards. Testing older speakers is much much harder, and to some extent meaningless if they are reconditioned with new drivers but I believe most of them would be considered to be really, really bad by today's standards. And yet, we remember our old speakers fondly.

6sigma

Forum Donor
I mean the 1st high end or serious sound. One that just made you stop and go wow! I've not heard anything close to this.
It's happened three times with me:

First, the Magnepan Tympani I with Audio Research electronics & a high-end turntable at a dealer.

Second, my acoustics prof has designed a room for the Klipsch Kornerhorns with a Belle Klipsch center and Crown electronics. He used a Crown reel-to-reel & played music that sounded better than any I had ever heard.

Finally, I heard a pair of Avalon's hulking speakers driven by Spectral electronics. "From another room," it caught my attention. Dealer had heavily treated the room, but someone left the door open. I listened for over an hour.

DSJR

Major Contributor
First I think was a master tape made by Angus McKenzie (a UK engineer/reviewer) of Hendon Brass Band playing Stars & Stripes Forever (flat out) and played through Crown amps (DC300A was notable) into IMF Pro Monitors mk3. Mind you, I loved AR LST's as well and the then huge Crown Electrostatic hybrids too, the latter pulsating the room playing 'Halleluwah!' by Can again off a master tape copy (vinyl really was sh*t back then) as well as a Dolby A master of Dark Side of the Moon which was incredible I remember (the heartbeat put pressure waves into the building as well your very being on a suitable speaker :D and of course the beginning of 'Time' always went down well on a Saturday when the store was busy).

The other notable one was ATC 200A's in a domestic environment I once knew - feck, these things had dynamics that no domestic system did and with pretty low colouration compared to horny boxes which claimed huge sensitivity but with severe colouration, at least back then and in UK rooms!

I've heard bigger and silly-money domestic based setups at shows and most of them have been pretty awful really. One early 80's show at 'Heathrow') had the Quad 57's set up on trestle tables and drien by a Thorens deck and Quad amps (of course). This room was nitable as being an oasis of peace and calm after the boomy blastings everywhere else and one just sat with a sigh and got lost in th egentler orchestral and chanber music being played - a wonderful experience even to my young self back then. Subsequent shows had their then new 63's just plonked on the floor and sounding dire - took me years to realise they didn't have to sound so bad...

MRC01

Major Contributor
There were a few, don't remember which was first, in the 1980s.

One was a friend in college who lived in a house nearby and had a small audio room. Some kind of tube preamp and good speakers / turntable. I remember the smoothness of the mids and the extended high frequencies (not emphasized or bright, but extended) made other systems I heard sound like AM radio in comparison.

The other was an audio store that had a well set up listening room and some kind of planars. Probably Magnepans or Martin Logans, I didn't know much about speakers back then. I was like, "yeah whatever that sounds OK". Then he played a solo piano recording and my jaw hit the floor. I had never heard piano sound so lifelike.

The third was the first time I heard a good set of headphones: the original Sennheiser HD-580 back in the 90s. Before that, headphones were just tinny sounding things one never used for real music listening. These were a whole 'nuther thing. I still own that same pair!

leonroy

Forum Donor
The Polk SRT surround sound system at Musical Images in Edgware (London) was the first time I was completely (and literally) blown away.

The system was a 5.1 setup with two rear satellites, two mains, two subs (which sat below the mains like speaker stands) and a very wide center speaker.

The bass and volume from these speakers was so prodigious that I could feel my trousers flapping during movie action scenes. It was an unforgettable setup and alas it's hard to find much information about them.

I was able to find the flyer below though and the specs for the sub units:

SRT Subwoofer Specifications:
  • High Velocity Compression Drive band-pass enclosure
  • Weight: 87 lbs, 39.47 kg.
  • Size: 31 1/2" H x 12" W (at top of cabinet), 14 1/8" W (at base) x 23 1/4" D. Metric: 80cm H x 30.46cm W (at top of cabinet), 35.89cm W (at base) x 59.02cm D
  • One SW1080 10" woofer each cabinet
  • One SW1081 10" woofer each cabinet
  • High flow, low turbulence Power Port
  • Built-In Amplifier Power: 300 Watts RMS
  • Dual voltage operation - 115V or 230V, switchable
  • "Auto On / Off" circuit
  • Frequency Response: -6dB at 16Hz (in 3,500 cubic foot room) to -3dB at 90Hz
  • Maximum Output: approx. 120dB SPL above 30Hz (pair of woofers in 3,500 cubic foot room at 1 meter)
  • Variable height feet with removable spikes

uevrpzub3h40.jpg

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One early 80's show at 'Heathrow') had the Quad 57's set up on trestle tables and drien by a Thorens deck and Quad amps (of course). This room was nitable as being an oasis of peace and calm after the boomy blastings everywhere else and one just sat with a sigh and got lost in th egentler orchestral and chanber music being played - a wonderful experience even to my young self back then. Subsequent shows had their then new 63's just plonked on the floor and sounding dire - took me years to realise they didn't have to sound so bad...
Interesting. Re the 63s, I remember catching some pre-release coverage in a UK magazine (HFN, maybe?) where the journalist heard the new speakers in Peter Walker's lab. The lab was an untidy mess, and the speakers were sitting high on a pair of old kitchen stools. The scenario was reported as the usual mad-scientist PW schtick, but I remember thinking, OK, Walker feels he needs to elevate these things somewhat.

Top Bottom