• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What stuff do I need to add to my order? (complete beginner)

notsodeadlizard

Any measurements for these?

Those "plastic" (actually they're cast aluminum) Genelecs in fact perform better than 99% of hifi loudspeakers, as do most "pro" systems.

He could be on or near the computer for 8-12 hours a day and that may be where he prefers or has the opportunity to listen to music. Why should he compromise on fidelity?

This has to be a troll. Not a bad one though.
Well, not really a troll.
Well, quite a bit of a troll.
But this is really a very strange, let's say, desktop system.
This system itself is trolling :)

notsodeadlizard

Really? Lots of assumptions you make here.

Btw a 0.000032% THD corresponds to -129.9 dB, and 0.000041% to -127.7 dB, so which device are you talking about here? For surely you don't mean speakers? ;)
You see, these 2.2 dB will ruin a person's life.
He will not listen to music, but look for those 2.2 dB that others do not have.
It's all absolutely terrible.
:(

OP
M

mubix77

Another vote for Wiim pro, in fact I have this exact setup
Wiim pro, Genelec 8330+7350+glm plus I have a Genelec volume button and I love it on a desktop setup.
Can I not somehow use my existing Apple TV to stream? Then I only need an adapter?

Trell

Major Contributor

Why is a desktop system strange to you? I've two Genelec 2.1 desktop systems at home as well as a 5.2 setup for my living room (passive speakers). All of them are used daily.

OP
M

mubix77

If you are a real person, and not an AI or something else: can you please post your dream listening setup?

sajgre

I get your point that this system might be overkill for casual listening but you don't know what OP needs. I know I'm enjoying my identical system A LOT. Subwoofer and room correction make big improvement and I spend 3 times more time listening to this system than my main. Could I enjoy different and cheaper system just as much? Maybe, don't know, but I know I love everything about Genelecs I even find them beautiful.

Trell

Major Contributor
Can I not somehow use my existing Apple TV to stream? Then I only need an adapter?

You'll need a HDMI audio extractor unless your version of the Apple TV as other outputs as well. The audio extractor has to pass through video at the resolution, frame rate and bit depth you need, as well as the correct HDCP version.

My only use of an HDMI audio extractor has been to rip a few SACD that I own which does not have a CD layer.

OP
M

mubix77

I get your point that this system might be overkill for casual listening but you don't know what OP needs. I know I'm enjoying my identical system A LOT. Subwoofer and room correction make big improvement and I spend 3 times more time listening to this system than my main. Could I enjoy different and cheaper system just as much? Maybe, don't know, but I know I love everything about Genelecs I even find them beautiful.
I am not a professional listener. I just like music.

Trell

Major Contributor

Same here, but I like great sound even for casual listening, and I think you're on the right track for that. Why should we accept inferior sound on a desktop just because it's a desktop?

That said, the room and the placement of monitors/subwoofer is critical.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Overkill in this case depends on how much you are fine spending. With Genelec you know exactly what you get with the extra money.

Now if we go to the 8361 or even larger main monitors we might get to the actual overkill situation for simple home desktop.

jae

Major Contributor
One does not have to be a professional to enjoy a professional monitoring system. Controlled radiation characteristics and flat on-axis response is what is preferred by listeners in virtually all instances (professional setting or not), that is what results the highest fidelity to a listener, and this is exactly what a professional setup provides. Often times it does this at a similar or even cheaper price to a competing one using traditional hifi loudspeakers and electronics, and usually does it better. Professional monitors should be used in home environments way more often or maybe even exclusively, unless one specifically knows they instead need/want a wide dispersion or full range loudspeaker. There is a huge stigma with "audiophiles" against using pro monitors for anything other than producing music, because they don't like their looks or they are afraid they are missing out on something by not being able to use their expensive dacs and amplifiers that probably aren't even very good to begin with.

mkt

Ok. Perfect, that makes it all clear.
I think for now I will then stick with the analog connection using the M2.
Next year I will then go to an AES connection with an RME maybe, but only after learning more and treating the room where I'm in...
Computer USB to something like SMSL PO100 PRO to Canare BCJ-XP-TRA Impedance Transformer to AES 70 ohm works and is fairly cheap (cheaper than RME) and you don't have to think about changing cables later. (I do this to connect an iPad to Genelecs)
EDIT and I like the Genelec volume knob for a desktop

Top Bottom