• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What product do I need to send audio to powered speakers?

nine9one

I’m currently feeding 8351Bs via balanced outputs from a mixer. My only sources going into the mixer are a TV through the headphone out and an AirPlay2 receiver. I’m totally happy with the setup—I love not having to switch audio channels or having both playing at the same time if needed. The problem is I’m looking into new TVs and it seems everything I’m looking at lacks a headphone out and even analog outs these days. Also, I like being able to control the TV volume using the AppleTV 4K remote, and don’t want to have to deal with a second remote, so I assume optical is out. Is there some kind of device I can route the TV and AirPlay through to get to the powered monitors? I really don’t need or care about any additional functionality. Thanks for any ideas anyone has.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Any of the well-reviewed balanced DACs with optical input should work. HDMI ARC might be another option, but maybe someone with experience can opine on that.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get a TV with HDMI ARC, standard on most sets today but this will allow you to hook your AppleTV to TV with one cable. Your Airplay receiver will then be the endpoint for the ATV audio output. Of course this only works with anything being streamed (audio or video) through the ATV so if you have another source eventually a DAC with multiple digital inputs would be good to add.

This is how I do it in my house. ATV connected to HDMI ARC on TV then streamed to an older AirPort Express that sits next to the multichannel amplifier and speaker distribution box. No need for any other new gear if you're already planning to upgrade the TV.

OP
N

nine9one

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Couple follow ups: will the optical converters allow me to use the volume as usual?

An SMSL PS100 should do it.
This looks interesting, would I essentially just be using this as an adapter? Like optical in, then RCAs out to the mixer? Would going in to HDMI work for audio only via ARC?

Get a TV with HDMI ARC, standard on most sets today but this will allow you to hook your AppleTV to TV with one cable. Your Airplay receiver will then be the endpoint for the ATV audio output. Of course this only works with anything being streamed (audio or video) through the ATV so if you have another source eventually a DAC with multiple digital inputs would be good to add.

This is how I do it in my house. ATV connected to HDMI ARC on TV then streamed to an older AirPort Express that sits next to the multichannel amplifier and speaker distribution box. No need for any other new gear if you're already planning to upgrade the TV.
This seems like a great option, my only concern is will the ATV connect to AirPlay automatically whenever I turn the TV on? Or do you have to select it each time to connect?

Thanks again!

staticV3

Master Contributor
This looks interesting, would I essentially just be using this as an adapter? Like optical in, then RCAs out to the mixer? Would going in to HDMI work for audio only via ARC?
You could use optical, or ARC if your TV has it.

The advantage of ARC is that you can use HDMI CEC commands for volume control.

You mentioned that you like being able to control volume from the Apple remote and fear losing it with optical.

In case the Apple TV does its volume control internally, that should continue working even with optical out.

If the Apple TV instead relies on HDMI CEC for volume control, then the PS100 is an inexpensive way to keep that functionality, since it supports CEC volume.

I don't have an Apple TV, so can't tell you which method it uses for volume control.

That being said, the PS100 is a cheap way of adding analog out to a TV while guaranteeing that the Apple TV remote keeps working for volume control.

OP
N

nine9one

You could use optical, or ARC if your TV has it.

The advantage of ARC is that you can use HDMI CEC commands for volume control.

You mentioned that you like being able to control volume from the Apple remote and fear losing it with optical.

In case the Apple TV does its volume control internally, that should continue working even with optical out.

If the Apple TV instead relies on HDMI CEC for volume control, then the PS100 is an inexpensive way to keep that functionality, since it supports CEC volume.

I don't have an Apple TV, so can't tell you which method it uses for volume control.

That being said, the PS100 is a cheap way of adding analog out to a TV while guaranteeing that the Apple TV remote keeps working for volume control.
Appreciate it. I can't tell you how the Apple TV volume works, other than being pleasantly surprised that when I bought the Apple TV and plugged it on, hitting the power button turns the TV off/on, and it controls the TV volume, and I love only having one remote to deal with now and no switching other than changing apps within Apple TV.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This seems like a great option, my only concern is will the ATV connect to AirPlay automatically whenever I turn the TV on? Or do you have to select it each time to connect?
My ATV remembers what was connected to it last use. If I turn on the ATV my TV automatically starts up and the ATV Home Screen is presented with all my apps and ready to go and play through stereo. If I use another device like my iPhone to connect to the APX to stream music in the house then I have to reconnect the ATV to the APX for Airplay which is really simple to do on the ATV Home Screen via a drop down menu otherwise audio plays through the TV speakers. If I stream my iPhone directly to the ATV (when ATV is connected to APX via Airplay) then audio and video are played through stereo/TV. Everything is done using the Apple Remote or your iPhone.

Top Bottom