• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What makes a High-End Amp Better Than a Sub-$500 Chinese Amp?

okok

No. HD800s is 300ohms nominal with 102 db SPL/V sensitivity. So approximately 70mw would be enough power wise. Anything more than 70mW is irrelevant as far as HD800s is concerned.

the mobo output done excellent job on this, any external box no matter what price is it, is strictly

OP
U

Urushi

Thank you all for the help.

I am going to go with a Schiit Magni+ use my Motu M2 or Audient Evo 4 as a DAC (I think their DAC should be good enough right?) Does it matter if I use TRS or RCA cables?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I am going to go with a Schiit Magni+ use my Motu M2 or Audient Evo 4 as a DAC (I think their DAC should be good enough right?) Does it matter if I use TRS or RCA cables?
I never really see much if any, negative feedback, about the sound quality, of an Audio Interface.
Assume you mean TS 1/4" plugs or RCA jacks (un-balanced connection), would not make a difference to me.

Soria Moria

What does this mean?
The Asgard 3, when one cranked the volume, not only the loudness is observed but aspects of sound details and dynamism are also magnified, in other words the amp doesn't sound strained when volume is increased. Other amps, yes there will be loudness when volume is increased but the expectation one gets is that more should be heard but it is just flat.

raif71

Major Contributor
What does this mean?
Sorry, I suppose I shouldn't mention it again or explain what I mean in this prim and proper forum :)

7B85.gif

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning

For a short run the difference is almost certainly negligible. If you're going to be running the cables any distance, balanced (TRS) cables will perform better.

Any decently-made RCA cable or TRS cable will do. Don't spend more than $20 or $30 on interconnects..

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Does it matter if I use TRS or RCA cables?
... Assume you mean TS 1/4" plugs or RCA jacks (un-balanced connection), would not make a difference to me.
For a short run the difference is almost certainly negligible. If you're going to be running the cables any distance, balanced (TRS) cables will perform better. ...
The replies here highlight an important point. TRS can be ambiguous. It can refer to a standard 3-wire headphone cable, which is unbalanced (L+, R+ and common ground). And it can refer to a 3-pin balanced cable wired to a 1/4" headphone style jack (S+, S- and ground).

Loomynarty

I never really see much if any, negative feedback, about the sound quality, of an Audio Interface.
Assume you mean TS 1/4" plugs or RCA jacks (un-balanced connection), would not make a difference to me.
There's actually plenty of negative feedback implemented in well-measuring amps ;)

MRC01

Major Contributor
This thread is about amps, but DACs have been mentioned. I've encountered quality issues with inexpensive DACs that measure well here at ASR.
  • Buggy firmware: shuts off when playing test signals, displays the wrong sample rate
  • Incorrect documentation: filters are mis-identified, measured response doesn't match manual
  • Poor build quality / longevity: circuit board failure after a year of operation, causing elevated distortion
  • Poor warranty & support
So while inexpensive (< $200) DACs can provide SOTA measured performance, paying a little extra can provide practical benefits.

Overseas

Major Contributor
While I value ASR approach, it is hard for me to understand how it is that non-scientific language like 'harsh, fast, fluffy' is rigorously dismissed when some enthusiasts are coming in, while there are pages of discussions about buying American or Brit, let's say. What does American have to do with sound? On the other hand, those enthusiasts are trying to say something, though not in proper form.

OP
U

Urushi

What DAC do you recommend? I had no issues with my EX5 when it.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like Schiit products and I can tell u that I prefer the Asgard 3 amp better than most of the amps made in China. I have at least read that Schiit actually listen to the amps ie tweak the amp's sound after designing them. The Asgard 3, when one cranked the volume, not only the loudness is observed but aspects of sound details and dynamism are also magnified, in other words the amp doesn't sound strained when volume is increased. Other amps, yes there will be loudness when volume is increased but the expectation one gets is that more should be heard but it is just flat. People talk about transparent, to me Asgard 3 is more transparent than most Chinese amps and to boot it's not expensive !! :)
Of course, I'm just relating my experience and everybody's experience and taste are different.

My personal experience is quite the opposite though. Schiit solids state amps (except for Folkvangr which to me is more "transparent" than all of Schiit SS amps I've heard despite the horrible measurements) didn't sound "transparent" enough compared to other Chinese ss amps that I've demoed especially compared to the Chinese made Holo Audio Bliss amp which measures just as well as Schiit Heretic and Schiit Magnius.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
2. Transparency at low output: does it maintain low noise / high SNR at the low volume settings actually used for listening? Measuring SNR at 50 mV tells you, but ASR is one of the few places that measures this. Most SNR specs are at full volume, which is a virtually meaningless measurement.
Amen. :)

Also -- in case it hasn't been mentioned: Just because the passives in that bargain amplifier carry popular and impressive brand names (WIMA, Nichicon, ALPS, etc.) how does one know they're legit? Of course, the issue of counterfeits can strike a product at any price point -- but it might (?!) be more likely in the lower price echelon.
The issue with counterfeits, of course, isn't the fancy brand name or any cachet associated therewith ;) - it's the "intrinsic quality" of the component(s). Does the component meet spec? How long will it last? One hopes that spending a bit more for the big brand names brings along an incremental increase in "quality" this adds value in the long run.

MRC01

Major Contributor
What DAC do you recommend? I had no issues with my EX5 when it.
My EX5 had some firmware issues that Topping could not fix, so I returned it. It didn't display the proper sample rate and it would shut down when playing certain test signals. It was disappointing because otherwise it seemed like a good piece of gear.

Top Bottom