• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Falco

Forum Donor
I bought several items based on reviews here

- topping d10s
- smsl su-1
- tanchjim space
- revel performa3 m105s
- Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM

Hmmm, actually bought quite a lot....

Ninjastar

Bought these as a result of measurements found on ASR, followed by my subjective impressions (if you care).

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 - very nice, except slight mid-bass bump was not to my liking after a while.
Polk R200 - bought as a result of napilopez's measurement posted here. Very nice, but kind of bright sounding/sharp especially at higher volumes
Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 - bought as a result of review for the 12.1 here. Very nice, but kind of polite sounding/lacking some attack.

Topping E50 DAC - It was OK, but nothing special IMO. Sound was clear, but too dry sounding.
SMSL D300 DAC - I know this and Topping measure basically the same, but subjectively this one sounds just as clear without sounding dry.
Flux FA-12 Headphone Amp - Sound was really nice. Kept it for almost 2 years. Only thing I did not like was the implementation of the relay volume control.
Audiophonics MPA-S250NC (Hypex NC252MP module) - excellent power amp. Most neutral amplifier I've ever had. Still have it.

Bought these based on measurements from Erin:

KLH Model 5 - Great sounding and great looking speakers. Still own these.
MoFi Sourcepoint 8 - Great. Just purchased this about a month ago. Really like the concentric design, has fantastic soundstage and imaging depth. Really linear. Bass is good for a standmount.

Last edited:

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In addition to my SMSL DAC, now the Fosi mono amps!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KLH Model 5 - Great sounding and great looking speakers. Still own these.
MoFi Sourcepoint 8 - Great. Just purchased this about a month ago. Really like the concentric design, has fantastic soundstage and imaging depth. Really linear. Bass is good for a standmount.
I am guessing based on your descriptions, and if you were to compare KLH v. SourcePoint8 - fat apples to apples - you prefer the MoFi SP8s much more.
Are you using a sub with them?

Ninjastar

I am guessing based on your descriptions, and if you were to compare KLH v. SourcePoint8 - fat apples to apples - you prefer the MoFi SP8s much more.
Are you using a sub with them?
It's too early to tell which one I prefer as both are really good and I've only had the SP8 for a month.

I think the MoFi is a more linear speaker. The KLH is warmer sounding.

I feel the concentric design of the MoFi offers some advantages that I like such as the imaging that I mentioned.

dday84

I bought a Topping L30 II based on the ASR review of it. My previous headphone amp was struggling with adequately powering a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm headphones I had. The Topping L30 II has no problems driving it to levels I like.

Ghostofmerlin

Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 DAC
BENCHMARK AHB-2 times 2
MiniDSP Flex Htx

I had my KEF R11 metas before they were given a thumbs up, but I saw the measurments first and it looked good. Probably would have bought some Revels but didn’t like the look. Also have a Benchmark preamp gathering dust because I don’t need it.

Very happy with all of it.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Due to ASR I bought:

Topping EX5
iLoud MTM
Truthear × Crinacle Zero
Qudelix 5K

My theater system was all my research and testing:

Denon X4500H
Audiophonics NC252MP (still need to get a 2nd one)
Rythmik FV15HP2 ×2
Buchardt S400 MKII ×3
Revel S16 ×4
Sony 77A80K
Sony X800M2

Last edited:

JimBean

Duh, forgot I also bought the Linsoul 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEMs, which sound very good and are alot more portable then my Sennheiser HD650s for listening to Tidal on my phone.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I would never have bought the following gear if it wasn't for ASR:
E1DA Cosmos ADC and APU
Topping D50 DAC
ASR Revel speaker reviews persuaded me to listen to a pair of F206, but that never happened.
While I think that active speakers make a lot of sense, I wasn't enamoured of Meridian DSP600 and 6000, but Neumann and Genelec are intruiging.

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
JBL Endurance Run 2.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I think I went the opposite way,I first got Khadas TB (it was circulating by the dozens in the audiophile circles as all the cheap DACs do,mostly out of curiosity) and then found ASR looking for measurements.

That's it as for now,but my clock is ticking searching for a dac to use as tone generator.Unfortunately I had to reset the alarm many times due to reported issues about the ones I had chosen.
But I'm optimistic and patient.

Top Bottom