• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Realistically, quite a lot of my gear was purchased based on reading reviews and comments here:
  • UMIK-1
  • MOTU M2
  • JDS Atom Amp
  • Topping D90 (sold), A90, DX3
  • LCD-XC
  • Truthear Zero Red
  • KEF LS60 + 2x KC62
  • Nord Acoustics NC500 Monoblock 2x
  • JBL Control X
  • WiiM Pro (gift)
Hmm, maybe I'd better slow down...

A couple of things: The TRUTHEAR x Crinacle IEMS and the KEF LS60W.

Twinsies! :D I had a very similar line of thinking on the LS60. The stereophile review and mfr. curves looked great, and I managed to snag a great deal on them, so I figured it wasn't very risky.

Possibly more importantly, my wife actually approves of how they look in the living room, so the stars really aligned in a way I couldn't pass up.

NoMoFoNo

Cheapies for me, purchased after seeing they did at least reasonably well on ASR:

Schitt Modi 3E
Wiim Pro
Fosi V3
JDS Labs Atom Dac+
JDS Labs OL Switcher
Aiyima A07
Cambridge Alva Duo

AaronJ

At this point I have completely redone my system based on ASR. When I started I had a hodgepodge of gear that was fine and still sounded quite good, but didn't make me happy. I have purchased 2 pieces of gear entirely off ASR reviews and the rest of my system is basically made up of gear that I like or don't have any reason to upgrade.

I blind-purchased a used pair of Revel M106 and also added MiniDSP Flex running Dirac Live. These 2 components form the backbone of the system and are acknowledged to provide the most benefit to actual sound quality.

I added a second subwoofer after understanding the importance to smooth out frequency response, and to be honest this provided the best SQ improvement aside from the first 2 mentioned. My subwoofers are modest - B&W ASW608 but I like the form factor (size) and don't need anything that can play louder or dig to deeper bass.

The rest of my system are just pieces I enjoy owning. I adore vintage Sansui and run a Sansui SR-929 turntable with Denon DL-103 cartridge and a SUT, AU-5500 integrated amp, and TU-5500 tuner. My digital front end is inexpensive and good enough.

drewdawg999

The ASR recommended gear I have is piling up. For one thing, I bought 3 SMSL DACs: Sanskrit 10th mkII, DO100, and my favorite the D-6 (it has DSD Direct mode which I LOVE). Don't think I would've went DAC crazy if it wasn't for this place.
The Topping Pre90 is an awesome piece. As is my Hypex amp, a March P502. And so is the THX 789 that drives my planars so well out of the XLR output.
Then I got the Truthear Zero:Red, such a nice bargain, like them a lot despite having to take it in the ear to use them.

Svend P

I have sold almost everything I owned only to buy ASR approved equipment:

- Denon AVR-X4800H
- Revel F208, M16, C426Be
- HIFIMAN HE400SE
- Sennheiser S560
- Drop Ether CX
- 7Hz Salnotes Zero
- Tanchjim Space-Lite Earphone Amplifier
- Topping D10S

The only things that remains are my 6 pcs. TC Sounds LMS Ultra subwoofers with Crown XLS amplifiers, a pair of Jamo R907, and a Lyngdorf TDAI2200. The last two are so aesthetically pleasing luxury items I get pleasure from them other that the sheer sound quality, so I can't imagine ever replacing them with something that measures better. And I don't think anything has surpassed the TC subs, so they are also keepers.

Jim Creek

Let’s see, my SMSL DO100, Mani 2, Modi Heretic, Topping Pre90, were bought after reading the reviews here.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A nice wooden grounding box full of rocks and dirt. I didn't pay any attention to the measurements. I mean, you have to listen to see if stuff is good.

Based on ASR alone, a Topping Dx3Pro+ ; the website also helped in the decision to get Sennheiser HD560s but were not the sole contributors to the decision.

Smitty2k1

Wiim Mini, now a Wiim Pro, DX3Pro+

Eyeing Vanatoo Transparent Zero to finish off my desktop setup...

For my main listening system a Denon x3500, UMIK, and REW.

stoo23

I only recently purchased an S.M.S.L. C200 DAC (just over a Week ago), based on the review here.
Am I happy ??, Oh YES :) VERY Much so.
Has transformed my Music playback, especially via Headphones but has made a huge difference to my overall Music playback experience.
Heartily Recommended !!

Thanks Amir, for the Great review, much appreciated :)

ExPerfectionist

Purchased partially or fully based on ASR:

Schiit Mani 2
Wiim Pro + Wiim Mini
Topping E50

Other system components:
Marantz SR5015
Rotel CD14 Mk II
Uturn Orbit Plus w AT VM540ML
Ascend Sierra-LX x3
SVS Prime Elevation x4
Rythmik F12SE

Second/office system
Old Denon receiver (w/ Wiim Mini)
Ascend 340-SE x2 (from previous theater system)
Monoprice THX 8"

Mike710

As they say, I threw the house out the window within the two weeks of being here...

My set-up:
- Aiyiama A07 Max
- Topping E50
- Topping L50
- Polk ES20
- Sennheiser HD560s

Wife set-up:
- Loxjie A30
- Polk XT15
- Sennheiser HD599

We both have our own batcave :D

Thank you all for you´re help and knowledge. It´s wonderful to be back listening and enjoying music again after some tough times.

hearone

Forum Donor
JDS Atom 2 Amp
SMSL DO300 Dac
WIIM Pro

Probably like many, I had never heard of these brands or never would have considered without a solid review..

One reason I was a quick donor for the value received. Appreciated this site. Thanks

Last edited:

Saturn94

Drop + DCA Aeon Closed X Headphones (based on ASR review of RT Aeon)
JDS Labs Atom Amp+ headphone amp

A year later, I’m still thrilled with the performance of this combo! :)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OKTO DAC8 PRO :D

Top Bottom