• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I forgot to add my UMIK and REW (donation).

sajgre

Desktop setup: Genelec 8330+7350
Living room: Buchardt A700
Wiim pro 2x
AKG K371bt

Last edited:

blackmetalboon

For me it was also UMIK and REW, @Purité Audio can also take some of the credit/blame!

While ASR wasn’t the only data point I considered, I did end up buying an Anthem AVM 70 to replace my old and temperamental AV processor.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yeah, I forgot to add my UMIK and REW (donation).
Same here. I try to kick a small something to John at REW each time I see a new update to the software.
It really is incredible the amount of time and work he's put into the development of this project
over the years. One of the best room measurement applications available and he's done it all for
FREE.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
REW got my donation this week too. Too good.

boxerfan88

SMSL DO100

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here. But I bought an RME ADI-2 PRO fs for measuring, needle drops (not yet done) and listening via headphone or the Gennies 8020a on my desktop. I use the EQ to correct FR of my HD800 and DT990pro.
In serious need of an update - what I bought in the mean time:
  • Umik 1
  • Sony ZX 110 just out of curiosity. Listenable with EQ despite high distortion in the bass (makes some rock music sound fat which people might prefer).
  • AKG K371bt because I wanted to find out (a) how a Harman curve conform headphone sounds (great) and (b) the price for the bt version (which is useful for my smartphone) was irresistable (€139).
  • Truthear X Trinacle Zero Red: see AKG (a) above. If the seal is good SQ is incredible for just €55.
  • Audio Technica AT33PTG/II recommended by members, to replace an old broken Van den Hul MC ONE Special. Sounds at least as great for less than a third of the costs of a new VdH cartridge. Great advice!
  • Cambridge Audio Duo phono preamp, to replace my DIY phone preamp which lacks a subsonic filter. Got it used in mint condition with warranty for €120 - a real nobrainer. Dead silent and great SQ.

Last edited:

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got an SMSL DAC and a couple of those sub-100 dollar amplifiers thanks to their coverage here.

We have had some killer fun 'shootouts' in our club comparing these babies!

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got an SMSL DAC and a couple of those sub-100 dollar amplifiers thanks to their coverage here.

We have had some killer fun 'shootouts' in our club comparing these babies!
Do tell!

Anton D

It's the SMSL 8Us DAC. I run a Wiim to it then off o the preamp.

For the amps, I grabbed an SMSL SA-98E (114 dollars) and a buddy purchased a 55 dollar Ayima amp.

We also compared several amps that would only trigger people here.

Suffice to say, these affordable babies did a very commendable job.

(We tried comparing some different power supplies, as well, but not much came of it.)

We used an Oppo UDP 205 as the digital source, and played with some Infinity Intermezzo 2.6 speakers (very easy to drive) and some Klipsch Heritage III speakers: efficient.

We also only listened, so it was entirely subjective.

The SMSL seemed to please more people. I was startled by how good it sounded. (Also, keep in mind, we were really only using the first 1-3 watts of the amp's power, so we certainly weren't taxing it in a way it might face in other systems. No universal opinion was desired.)

31d306a498ed196620b73bf29ef8b6462f1ef138_2_666x500.jpeg

I will look for a longer view pic.

The rear of the loft has several of those memory foam big ass pillow/chair things.

Salt

Forum Donor
Needed a streamer an odered an eversolo ...no regret.

Danaxus

A couple of things: The TRUTHEAR x Crinacle IEMS and the KEF LS60W. Yes, I know the KEFs weren't reviewed here, but based on how well KEF's stuff has reviewed lately, and more importantly, how well Amir's measurements line up with KEF's published ones, once I saw what the whitepaper and found a stupidly good sale, I took the plunge. Possibly a dumb knee-jerk reaction to a deep sale (I did save €2,000), but hey, worst case scenario I figured I could always rely on choice-supportive bias to make me happy, even if they did end up sounding like shit.

sajgre

what's your take on the buchardt a700 ? pros cons ?
I have had them for 2 years and I love them. I have them in really big living room and if I'll ever add a couple of subs it would be only because I have a 12db dip at 50hz.
Just recently one of the amp/receiver modules stopt working and I got a new one literally in 24h. Amazing customer service. It took me a couple of minutes to switch amps.

mags65

Forum Donor
Hi all,
stumbling across ASR this year has reignited the stereo hobby and set my wallet partly on fire. Some of the purchases based on reading here:

For the living room main setup:
Topping D90LE (replaced Benchmark DAC1)
Topping Pre90 (replaced Parasound P3)

Nord Acoustics Nord One NCx500DM MKII Dual Mono (inbound later this summer, to augment/replace Parasound A21) Not directly based on review, but more generally from learning about Hypex based amps on the forum.

Roon lifetime membership
Mac Mini (2023) 8/256 with 2TB external HDD for local music (to run Roon Core - taking over from iMac (2013))

Thinking about UMIK 1, to use with HouseCurve from ipad/iphone in order to use Roon DSP.

For the fjordside cabin:
Topping E70 (currently running as dac-only in front of Cambridge Azur 540A, will use as dac/pre)

Nord Acoustics Nord Value-Line MP NC252 Stereo Power Amplifier (also inbound, to replace Cambridge)

For a head-fi setup for my son:
Sonos Connect (bought used, to use as Roon endpoint)
Under consideration: Topping DX3 Pro+ (start with a low cost-ish one-box solution)
Under consideration: Sennheiser HD600 (available on 25% sale from local store in Oslo)

Upgradeitis has hit, or rater simplifactionities:

For the living room main setup:
Eversolo DMP-A6 Master Edition (replacing Topping D90LE/Topping Pre90/Wiim Pro - the Wiim was a new addition bought during the summer, replacing a Sonos Port).

Pulled the trigger on the DX3 Pro+ and Drop HD6XX for junior. He is using the Sonos Port to stream, but can’t get him onto Roon as his entire life of music is on Spotify.

Considering bringing the D90LE/Pre90 to the cabin next spring to replace the E70. However, the remote is absolutely rotten, so may decide to sell (sometimes useability trumps perceived higher performance - I fail to hear any difference between the Eversolo and the Topping stack).

Am currently in Mannheim visiting my daugther and picking up a bunch of cheap cables bought on amazon.de (xlr, braided power cables, usb c, rca etc) to replace and sell more expensive legacy stuff in the setup!

Last edited:

Geez47

Forum Donor
I trust Amir's review.
with so much information online it's really difficult to know who to believe it's easy to get sucked in and end up buying something that you end up being very disappointed with, as there are so many companies/hifi equipment it's a midfield.
So since stumbling upon (thank goodness) Amir's website years ago.

Gustard x26 pro dac.
Revel performa 3 m106 speakers.
Topping g5 dac
Topping la90 x2.
I'm so grateful as listening to music is an important part of my life.

Paul Ebert

Not purchased yet, but I plan to pick up a pair of E1DA Cosmos APUs to, along with the Cosmos ADC I do own, be my phono pre-amp. Overkill? Yes, but at the price, why not? And, I support a great vendor! The only reason I haven't hit the Buy Now button is that I'm trying to decide if I want one of the two calibrated in case I want to do measurements in the future. Right now, I'm thinking "yes".

Top Bottom