• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it has to do with the old post of mine you replied. I was talking about studies to determine a neutral response in headphone
OK. I guess I'm lost here. I was sort of replying to the OP's question.

markanini

Major Contributor
Flat/neutral/Harman should ideally be functionally the same in this context. Setting the Harman debate aside, some argue that there's a bass lean version that's somehow more correct. Besides lacking any concrete proof it could be one of two things:
Cope by manufacturers and duped consumers of numerous bass deficient products.
A crude trick to make a set give an impression of more resolving playback by neutering the bass.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Yes they are. Dr Sean Olive's research is most definitely concerned with perceptual flatness / neutrality, for which they use preference as an accurate proxy.

the "perceptual flatness / neutrality" is the problem. If you have 30 years of experience with anechoicly flat speakers in a room you don't have 30 years of experience with neutral sound. their "neutrality" is basically "neutral speaker in an average room". since the average room is not neutral this is not neutral in a strict sense.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the "perceptual flatness / neutrality" is the problem. If you have 30 years of experience with anechoicly flat speakers in a room you don't have 30 years of experience with neutral sound. their "neutrality" is basically "neutral speaker in an average room". since the average room is not neutral this is not neutral in a strict sense.
Agreed. I appreciate the intent, but the execution might be difficult.

GaryH

Major Contributor
the "perceptual flatness / neutrality" is the problem. If you have 30 years of experience with anechoicly flat speakers in a room you don't have 30 years of experience with neutral sound.
Room experience is irrelevant to this particular discussion, but actually yes you do, if your room has comparable acoustics to a mastering studio.
their "neutrality" is basically "neutral speaker in an average room". since the average room is not neutral this is not neutral in a strict sense.
No, it's (perceived) 'neutral in a good room'. As mastering studios are good rooms, this conserves the neutrality of anechoically flat speakers in such rooms, translated to headphones, thereby preserving the artist's intent.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
it's neutral in a good room

ok, this is correct, and is actually what I meant

As mastering studios are good rooms, this conserves the neutrality of that room, translated to headphones, thereby preserving the artist's intent.

those rooms are very different from the Harman rooms.
I get your point though. Still real neutrality will translate the best on average, cause on average the real response of an event will still be it's spectral balance; on average

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Flattest target curve is the one that is used by sound producers and reproducers alike.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Screenshot_20231124_173840.png

dasdoing

Major Contributor

markanini

Major Contributor
ok, this totally doesn't seam to make sense,
but your target gets my KZ IEM closest to what my Superlux overear sounds like with the iso diffuse field target.
I just spent ours testing targets and will stick with this one for now. thanks a lot
You are welcome.

Top Bottom