• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Is An Audiophile?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, but there's nowhere near the same amount of discussion on music. Because this is not a music forum. Instead we're a very tiny fraction of the global population worrying about specs and equipment. At least we try to tackle the matter on a more "scientific" basis and less audiophoolery.
Right, ASR exists more or less to fight the snake oil. I'll admit some people get obsessed with distortion figures well beyond audibility. But at least it is being measured, and there is no magic fairy dust involved.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, we're the "scientific" audiophile kind, not the audiophoolery kind.
Well, yeah. Audio Science Review, and all that. Not that we don't have people seriously interested in music and listening.

JRS

Major Contributor
Exactly what I decided. We look to physics to maximize affordable fidelity to better enjoy our music, and are definitely in the "show me" camp.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's anyone who worries too much about specs and measurements, no matter how minuscule or impossible to hear the numbers are. Instead of enjoying music itself. Focuses on the equipment and the reproduction aspects of music, not the actual music in any meaningful way. It's anyone who listens actively to his equipment, not music, the music becomes almost irrelevant. It's really weird shit.
Thats disrespectful and baloney. It's the love of music that lights the passion to pursue the best possible way to reproduce it.
It that makes you happy, fine.

redstang

Surprising to me is how few posts there are here at ASR about recording quality, recording labels, microphones and placement, recording techniques, mixing, pressing etc. Not to say there aren't any but it's vastly about the playback gear here. Seems that to be true "audiophile" this would be just as important. It's like having a sports blog that rarely talks about conditioning, training, diet, and tactics and only talks about the ball, pads and shoes. I am not condemning or condoning, only observing that here it's about the playback gear. I guess this is not audiophile site per say but it is inhabited by a lot of audiophiles, of which I'm not sure I am. I think of it more as hobby as I love music and as an engineer I come here because I am attracted to science, and the gear. That said, I do enjoy when related topics are discussed and debated and have gotten many tips and education on set up, recording, history and music.
Because as a consumer, we can't control any of that other than possibly seeking out the best recordings when purchasing music (whether physically or streaming). Generally the discussion is about electronics and speakers we can purchase. However, you're absolutely correct. No amount of expensive equipment is going to make a terribly mastered track sound good.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, but there's nowhere near the same amount of discussion on music. Because, of course, this is not a music forum. Instead we're a very tiny fraction of the global population worrying about specs and equipment, instead of listening shit music on shit equipment (but enjoying it somehow). At least we try to tackle the matter on a more "scientific" basis and less audiophoolery.
Hey now. I listen to shit music on an objectively well performing system! And don’t forget all the people listening to excellent recordings on distorting systems! Let’s be inclusive here.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey now. I listen to shit music on an objectively well performing system!

*Puts hand up.

I listen to plenty of sh*tty music. I'd put my collection of sh*tty music up against anyone's! (Well..unless they listen to the Grateful Dead or something...:p)

Top Bottom