• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If you can't hear this then you're not an audiophile

Pancreas

This has nothing to do with being an audiophile. Anyone with average ear genetics will hear an improvement going from potato speakers/headphones to quality speakers. Audiophile doesn't mean being a perfect pitch freak. It means you are a connoisseur of higher-fidelity audio. People with better ear talent and musical experience/background will hear errors and mistakes in recordings more easily than people without the talent/experience.

This has nothing to do with being an audiophile. An audiophile is someone who pursues higher-fidelity audio. It's a hobby, a passion, and whether they can hear a difference in the super expensive products is irrelevant, but to say that cheap audio equipment is the same as more expensive equipment is pure cope. Even the most musical illiterate person will be able to tell the difference between $100 speakers and $500 ones

To say that you wasted your money on expensive audio equipment just because you can't hear an "error" in a musical recording is nonsense

By definition, an audiophile is anyone who pursues higher fidelity audio, plain and simple. It has NOTHING to do with recognizing errors in recordings.

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I think we've done this one before somewhere. I remember listening to it, noticing the thing he's talking about, but not even thinking that it was the "error" he wanted us to find. It's just so common. Musicians move around when playing. So?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll never be able to afford the interconnects and power cords necessary to be an audiophile, anyways.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah i think a few guys in that other thread sums it up

there's a lot of people who are obviously incredibly talented but their 'masterclass' would be an acquired taste for many cultures... and I'm not even talking about "English as a 2nd language" folks

eg. I quite like James Cameron but snippets of his masterclass was quite daunting... almost to me as if he was a bit OCD... I get that

but yeah Americans will not take to this guy. I certainly don't.

Galliardist

Major Contributor

A followup (in the comments) and more interesting where he considers the amount of movement in his "problem" clip and the idea of recreating the concert hall experience in the listening room.

He gets very close to the point but not quite there - the good audiophile reproduces the recording as well as possible, and then we can judge it on its merits and its terms. If it doesn't sound like "it's in a concert hall", then I guess we won't listen on those terms. Most of us listen to lots of different genres and presentations. We may as well be used to the opposite: I've certainly been at one rock gig where the lead guitarist ran across the stage and back, and the sound of the guitar stayed perfectly still. A fault?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Always provoking the audiophiles lmao biggest irony is that he is an audiophile himself

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Always amusing that people insist on policing the margins of variably socially constructed categories.

Top Bottom