• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ozzy9832001

A rectangle just needs four 90 degree corners....
Sorry, but no. If you told a contractor to build you a square room and a rectangular room, you'd get 2 different rooms. Maybe in some weird acoustic way it's means something different.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, but no. If you told a contractor to build you a square room and a rectangular room, you'd get 2 different rooms. Maybe in some weird acoustic way it's means something different.
Who cares what the contractorr would do if you just gave such simple instructions without dimensions? (and was a math/geometry teacher that planted the concept in my head originally, fwiw :))

egellings

Major Contributor
Hello, I would like to move out and look for an apartment here in Germany that has a large rectangle room, as symmetrical as possible.
Is 5m x 5.50m also rectangular? This is just an example. What is the definition of rectangular for you in the studio area? (5x6 or 5x7?)

I am looking for an apartment with a room of at least 18-20 square metres. Unfortunately, all the apartments only have distorted wide-angle shots on which you can never tell whether the room is rectangular or square. That gets stressful, unfortunately floor plans are very rare on popular platforms here.

For example, I found two rooms, one with 5x4, one with 6x3,3. What would be better? -> But they have several doors on the side walls, so far not the best choice. I will have to move a lot of mobile absorbers back and forth when I need to go to the toilet or kitchen.

Thank you!
I think a rectangular room would be somewhat shoebox shaped.

neRok

If you have dimensions like 3x6 m it can be that the fundamental frequency (340/6) and the octave above (340/12) are eliminated simultaneously and then MONSTER dips are created. 2 "smaller" different dips can be treated better in the bass range.
I would be more concerned about room layout rather than room size. If you have to place the speakers hard up against the front wall, they will maximally excite the modes between front and back walls. If you also have to sit right up against the back wall, you additionally hear the maximum affect of the modes. If you can bring the speakers and/or listening position off the walls a bit, you can reduce the affect of the modes.

You should also consider if the speakers can be centrally/symmetrically located on a wall, or if they will be offset. If not symmetrical, one speaker will be closer to a wall than another, and this would cause certain frequencies to be stronger/weaker between speakers. This can affect the stereo imaging.

If you listening room has to have an open wall to another room, I would also consider the impact of that.

Top Bottom