• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Rotiv

The HD560 Ovation is probably close to the HD540-II in several aspects.
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd560-ovation-ii/
That one needs the treble adjusted for sure.

Looks like the 540 also has a sharp treble peak at 8kHz but differs for 300 and 600 ohm version.
Can design filters for it based on the plot below (calculated from HD600 as ref)
11353456.jpg
Great, i would be very happy with. They are 300 ohm.

I have velour and pu leather pads. I think the original pads were velour.

I found this mesurements, they were also measured by oratory 1999. Is the 200hz to 1khz bump able to be correted?

1631362964940.png

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Stratocaster's plots are not usable. They can only be used to show relative effectiveness from mods (and is why he makes plots).

Oratory plots confirm the treble filter that is needed for the 560.
Can't passively correct the mid-bass hump.
Most likely putting some dampening material behind the driver will bring it down to 560 Ovation levels.
That one sounds rolled-off in the lows and less warm than 540 so with lowering the midbass hump comes less bass as well.

Will make a filter for 300 ohm 560 when I have some time and the measurement gear setup. The 540 will need to have slightly less removed because of the midbass hump. it would sound too dark and dull otherwise. It will only address the sharpness in the treble.

Rotiv

Stratocaster's plots are not usable. They can only be used to show relative effectiveness from mods (and is why he makes plots).

Oratory plots confirm the treble filter that is needed for the 560.
Can't passively correct the mid-bass hump.
Most likely putting some dampening material behind the driver will bring it down to 560 Ovation levels.
That one sounds rolled-off in the lows and less warm than 540 so with lowering the midbass hump comes less bass as well.

Will make a filter for 300 ohm 560 when I have some time and the measurement gear setup. The 540 will need to have slightly less removed because of the midbass hump. it would sound too dark and dull otherwise. It will only address the sharpness in the treble.
Thank you very much:)

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
hd540-560-filter-schematic.png

Morpheus

Forum Donor
Koss KSC 75 - Best bang for the buck I have heard on wired phones, dirt cheap and can be made ideal fitting- Had two pairs, if I lived in the States would have a box of these... Give a pair to someone you want to show how much better sound they can get with almost no spending, they are just great and Fun!!

Nuform EDC8 - were supposed to be super neutral, but aren't...they reach deep, but sound cold, although microdynamics are exceptional and they have clarity.

Sennheiser 6XX- PITA to get these to Portugal, butawsome value and they are everything they are supposed to be. My favourite balance of virtues for long term satisfaction in non-EQed wired phones, and even better when corrected. My kids, (21/17) love them too, they instantly recognized how good they sound compared to everything else. My oldest had them for most of the year, to attend law school Zoom classes , for their voice quality and comfort.

Sony WH 1000 MK2- gave these to my wife for air travelling wich she did a lot before Covid....brilliant with ANC on, though lesser fi than Senns..(never heard them wired).Like these more than posterior versions, wich have too much bass for my taste.

Sennheiser HD800S - Covid took some more of my listening ability earlier this year, and soon to be 50, I decided it was time to get a real reference phone while I could still enjoy most of it and hear what it was all about..With my RME ADI 2 fs 1st gen DAC and suitable EQ, I get truly reference sound. The 6xx are wonderfull, great right out of the box, but these, EQed to get the proper bass and tame that peak at 5.4K blow them out of the water and make them sound muddy and constricted, and yes they soundstage...not like my concentric KEFs speakers, but more than any other phone I heard.... If you can, they are worth it, and a future classic too.

Find of the decade

SPC ZION PURE BLACK bluetooth in ears..These are a real find that you have to listen to believe..
Yes, I like fine dining,( HD800s) but sometimes street food can be as much or more rewarding ( read on..)
I didn't had Bluetooth in-ears, and wanted a dirt cheap pair I could take for jogging, soil it, bump it up around without worrying of loosing one, so wasn't going to spend 100 euros or more to find out how good they sounded..I looked around, checked specs and price and shapes, and selected these, with comensurate expectations. Well, I already bought 5 pairs. Yes, 5 : for me, my elder, my wife, and my mother and a 2nd pair for me when I lost one jogging as predicted (; my youngest already had bought a different set for him ). For 25 -30 euros full price, these have BT5.0, excellent range, super lite at 4 g, IP4 rain protection, 4-5h play plus two other recharges on the nice compact box , and very good fit (3 sizes). I hoped they would sound passable, maybe ok-ish sound, hoped they wouldn't be too screechy or muddy, but for that price therewas a slim chance..
I stroke gold by pure luck, they sound A-mazing!!!.. Not for their prize...not for basic BT in ears..just in absolute terms.They don't even have aptx HD, but somehow, out of pure luck or not, they sound unbeliveable. I can't detect any resonance anywhere, they never ever call attention to themselves, and I don't mean that in a beige kind of way.
Bass is lovely, super deep ( I hear low 30s linear) , voices are accurate and full spectrum intelligible, and highs sound delicate and just right, plenty, and never agressive.. They have great slam and solidity but delicacy too. Listen to Faith no More "Evidence" and the bass and drums have rock solid impact and extension with no bloat or muddyness, spring like speed ( 1st time out of the box they get a liitle more bass after 1h playing) whereas vocalnis great, and back vocal is full and floats solidly on the right. Play barroque Spanish guitar in a convent and all the harmonics and reverb and sense of space /ambience is just there, you are never aware of a little loudspeaker with its box in your ears, its uncanny...To put things in perspective: 8 to 9 times out of 10 I reach for them instead of the Senn 6XX at home (and I have a jack in my phone too, and the 6XX are still better for classes/long term speech listening fatigue and comfort but nowadays my kid uses her SPC Zion pair for anything else like I do).
No, I am not a REP for Zion , just a fellow enthusiast that wants to share with others this wonderfull find I stumbled up upon... Heck, I even have a pair of brand new, still packaged Samsung Buds+ we got in April for free when I bought my youngest a phone through the carrier, and it is there sitting and going for sale cause I am sure it can't be better sounding than these, I just don't care, these to me and my family sound just about perfect when you select the right tip and get a proper seal, I just don't care how good the reviews on the Samsung are, don't need them...
I think SPC no longer makes these, but there are plenty in stock around at sale price ( 4 of those pairs I bought throughout last year were at 22-24 euros) they are my audiophile find of the decade, better than the Koss and Senns 6xx in that regard and plain crazy good , and just wanted to share this with all of you, you will amazed, and for once the price is no obstacle.
And, this was an education too as it showed me in the flesh how the mos fancy codecs and SNR specs matter a lot less than a good frequency response and ressonance supression in transducers, check that too.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I went back to the AKG K612 (my first pair of open backs). I like them better than the likes of HD800 and LCD-2.
I think they're a good family of headphones - the ones that look alike in the AKG range: K612 / K702 / K701. I have the K702 which was my first proper headphone which I bought before I knew anything about measurements & this site and it's my favourite headphone still after trying & still owning all the headphones listed in my sig.......well it's joint favourite with my HD560s to be truthful. I use all my headphones EQ'd to the Harman Curve, so not talking stock headphone performance. Yes, so I'm not surprised that you like your K612 more than your other headphones.

Dealux

I think they're a good family of headphones - the ones that look alike in the AKG range: K612 / K702 / K701. I have the K702 which was my first proper headphone which I bought before I knew anything about measurements & this site and it's my favourite headphone still after trying & still owning all the headphones listed in my sig.......well it's joint favourite with my HD560s to be truthful. I use all my headphones EQ'd to the Harman Curve, so not talking stock headphone performance. Yes, so I'm not surprised that you like your K612 more than your other headphones.
The K612 doesn't need EQ. Perhaps a bit of a nudge in the bass but they otherwise sound almost as if they were EQ-ed out of the box.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The K612 doesn't need EQ. Perhaps a bit of a nudge in the bass but they otherwise sound almost as if they were EQ-ed out of the box.
It is indeed quite close to the Harman Target, but I know from my own experience EQ'ing headphones from measurements that the elevated 6-8kHz would bother me, so I'd want to EQ that down....I also know from the same experience that I wouldn't be too bothered by the extra energy of the 2-3kHz peak, some of my testing indicates I might need an increase in that zone in relation to Harman Curve anyway but I tend to change my mind in&out on that point so I normally just leave it at Harman.....definitely needs a boost in the bass though:

K612 frequency response.jpg

Last edited:

ziddy76

Current: R70x, HD58x, Elegia, A900z
Past: AD900x, K712, HD650, some closed Denons, Shure 840.

I've been considering re-buying a nice condition used K712 or K702, those have a sound so unique. I gave away the HD650 and will never understand why it gets so much love, the HD58x solved my gripes with them. AD900 and AD900x are no longer in my collection cause I wrecked them. I had tendency to fall asleep with the AD900 on... Same with the K712, the headband broke over time and the pads got frustrating to replace, so expensive. Seemed financially better to just replace them, and haven't gotten around to doing it cause the R70x is just sublime, for me.

NAD Viso HP50 with Solderdude filter.

Bought these from Amazon and absolutely LOVED them. But I had to return cause where the ear cups connected to headband started to rust. And I can't have headphones that rust. They were bought purely for portable use, now I just use cheap in ear wireless things.

But I don't think I've ever heard such laid back sound quite like them before. They didn't do anything well at all to me, but they didn't do anything offensive either. The perfect headphone for background noise while I was commuting/walking/etc.

I have a smelly pair of audio-technica ATH-M50s that have served me well.

Maybe consider going to a health center, and grab some disinfectant wipes, they get rid of smells great. And new ear pads and whatever else that retains smells?

Last edited:

artnoi

Just the ones I still use daily, ranked by my preference

Etymotic ER4SR (the best IMO)
Sennheiser HD600
Hifiman HE4XX (great for movies)
AKG K7XX
Creative Aurvana Live G1 (great for casual listening, very pleasant sound)
Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880, DT990 (too bright, given away to my friends and relative)

sngreen

Just curious ...
What headphone(s) do you currently own ?
Which one(s) is(are) used the most, or is your favorite ?

Spend good portion of my working time with the headphones on - Sennheiser HD650 connected to Pass Headphone amp which is fed by Volumio Priomo2. Mostly HDtracks.

Used mostly Bayerdynamics HD 880 and HD 770 in the past, now have only two HD 770's; 32Ohm and 80Ohm. Sony M3 when on the go. Nothing special really.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I assume you mean Beyerdynamic DT880 and DT770 ;)

Pokerking

Personally I prefer the HD560S (with treble filter) but am sure there will be others that will prefer the HD600.
HD560 feels a bit flimsier and to me stereo imaging is better.
Bass extension is also better, 5dB at 40Hz is an audible improvement. Don't expect a bass monster it isn't a bassy character at all. Very similar to HD600 but deep bass isn't rolled off.
The elevated treble around 7kHz should be addressed where the HD600 only needs the lows extended by EQ.
hd560s-vs-hd600.png
Hello, can you please tell me how to install treble filter?

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Either inside the headphone:
filter-in-cup.jpg

or as a short extension lead between the source and HD560S cable.
filter-samples.jpg

Epos7

* Sennheiser HD600 for listening at home
* Master + Dynamic MW65 (wireless) for work and travel
* Drop/Sennheiser PC37X for wired gaming
* Corsair Virtuoso RGB for wireless gaming

TGB

Audeze LCD-4
2xAudeze LCD-XC (one at home and one at the office)
Shure SE846
Bose NC700

Top Bottom