• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
LCD-4, Ether C Flow, Ether CX, HD650, Alpha Dogs, TH-X00 Purplehearts, DT 1990 Pro, HD650s, Sony MDR Z1Rs, HD600, Argon Mk3s, Sony WH1000XM3,

I think my favorite are Ether C Flows or Sony Z1Rs.
LCD-4s have wonderful slam, just super heavy for long listening periods.
For travelling I either use Alpha Dogs or SonyXM3s.

I try to switch headphones weekly otherwise.

Just out of interest why the C Flows and the CX?

RighteousNuts

Just out of interest why the C Flows and the CX?
The Ether CX and Ether C Flows have far different sounds. The CX has a weak sub bass and the flow doesnt. The Ether CX was also my first high end headphone purchase. I'd say it's a great monitor headphone and nothing else.

BillG

Major Contributor
Headphones:

Sony MDR 7506 - I've had the same pair since '96.

In Ear Monitors:

KZ AS10 - 10x balanced armature
KZ ZSX - Hybrid (2x Dynamic Driver & 10x balanced armature)
KZ ZSA - Hybrid (2x Dynamic Driver & 2x balanced armature)

The first two I use when on the road, and the last while at my desktop.

These are on their way to me currently:

CCA CA16 - Hybrid (2x Dynamic Driver & 14x balanced armature)

I bought them just so that I can walk around with 16 transducers firing into my head.

images-1.jpeg

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Just got my new Audeze LCD-2's. I'm fairly impressed, using them with CanOpener and Audeze's Reveal plugin.
I thought the consensus was that the CanOpener was something that could result in sound degradation? I have been driving headphones directly from speaker terminals of a 180watt integrated amp for years without any issues at all, in fact stellar results. Why not just get a proper speaker tap cable made and go directly from your amps speaker terminals? You just need to be aware of where the amp gain control is at and literally in over five years I have never made a mistake or even come close.

Theriverlethe

I thought the consensus was that the CanOpener was something that could result in sound degradation? I have been driving headphones directly from speaker terminals of a 180watt integrated amp for years without any issues at all, in fact stellar results. Why not just get a proper speaker tap cable made and go directly from your amps speaker terminals? You just need to be aware of where the amp gain control is at and literally in over five years I have never made a mistake or even come close.

Consensus where? CanOpener is a crossfeed VST, so I have no idea why you’re talking about amplifiers.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor

dogtagkz

Headphones: AKG K371 for day time listening while working from home & HD 650 for night time listening when the family members are asleep. If I may ask here, what is the difference between listening to normal gain at 1 o'clock in against high gain at 10 o'clock?

Listening to HD 650 thru JDS Labs Atom amp and I am okay at normal gain and that is loud enough (powerful?) for me.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Headphones: AKG K371 for day time listening while working from home & HD 650 for night time listening when the family members are asleep. If I may ask here, what is the difference between listening to normal gain at 1 o'clock in against high gain at 10 o'clock?

Listening to HD 650 thru JDS Labs Atom amp and I am okay at normal gain and that is loud enough (powerful?) for me.
3 hours.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
3 hours of listening time? :p

My understanding on well behaved amps like the Atom is use low gain until you can basically go no further then high gain. There should be no distortion penalty at high gain for same volume levels. But at 10 I clock or less, Channel imbalance might creep in. I too use cans that are around 1 or 10. I tend to stick to low gain

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gee wiz, I have to go out to my private jet to check.o_O

kn0ppers

I recently got myself a pair of HD650s in the 2019 version. I have been enjoying them so far. I originally wanted a Focal Clear, but dropping 4 figures on a single headphone...can't really justify that at this point in time.

I don't know if/how this version differs from the others measured, but maybe someone can enlighten me about the recent versions?

dogtagkz

My understanding on well behaved amps like the Atom is use low gain until you can basically go no further then high gain. There should be no distortion penalty at high gain for same volume levels. But at 10 I clock or less, Channel imbalance might creep in. I too use cans that are around 1 or 10. I tend to stick to low gain

Thank you, sir.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is lcd 2c as capable as ananda you think ? Recently got ananda now curious about Audeze planar. They seem expensive though. You heard lots of headphones what do you think ? They seem quite opposite to ananda. Super curious about both lcd 2 and 2c.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
These 2 headphones sound quite different.

Audeze is on the 'darker' side with somewhat subdued upper mids and more 'grunt/body' where the Hifimans are less full bodied sounding with much more clarity and its treble is more pronounced.
Haven't heard the 2C yet.

Comfort also is very different. Audeze is MUCH heavier in weight and the pads sit around the ears quite differently.
The Audeze always feel to me as if they are 'sucked' to my skin. To me hifiman is more comfortable.

Top Bottom