• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Atratusnex

Update:

more or less the same
IEM:
Heir audio 4ai
Hifiman re400
Ultimate ears ue 900
KZ zs 10 pro
tin t2

KH:
1more Triple Driver Over Ear ( wavelet eq)
Akg k702 (oratory1990 harman eq with less bass)
Audio Technica W5000
Audioquest nighthawk (oratory1990 optimum hifi eq)
Hifiman 5xx
Koss
ESP95x (oratory1990 harman eq)

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
new
Mackie
mc 450
Koss KPH30i

tested
Hifiman
he 400se

Sold
beyerdynamic
dt 880 600 ohm edition

gone/ rip
Akg
k 612 pro

Incoming:
Verum audio
1 mk 2

Last edited:

aukje.dirkw

Fidelio X1 and X2 that are my easy favorites. Then I have toilet paper modded DT770 and a HD598. I really like the Sennheiser but it doesn't work well with my music preferences. I also have an old DT990, but there were so many times I got annoyed with them that I eventually just gave up.

knownunknown

looking for some over ear (closed) headphones for on the go, easy to drive, under 200 euros, any recommendations? don‘t need a lot of bass, neutral sound signature (like hd600) would be nice

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
looking for some over ear (closed) headphones for on the go, easy to drive, under 200 euros, any recommendations? don‘t need a lot of bass, neutral sound signature (like hd600) would be nice
(EDIT: just seen you want closed back / perhaps consider open back HD560s if closed back is not an absolute)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tion-request-thread.20261/page-13#post-842274
There's already a headphone recommendation thread, link above. First thing I think of is the HD560s, I've got one arriving with me today....I was hoping that the soundstage and channel matching would be excellent but now I'm not so sure:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/ohsfx4 It is however a pretty darn good frequency response out of the box. It probably fits your requirements the best so far, but we can take the discussion to the thread in the first link in this post......and if you like you can also wait until I've received my headphone and evaluated what I think.....in fact there's 3 of us with an HD560s on it's way to us (at that thread).

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Audio Technica ATH-M50X are not bad. The $9 Sonys are decent too. I traveled with the Sonys or ATs before I got Bose QC35ii

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I would suggest the AKG K371/ K361 but they may be bassier than you like. If you can use EQ on the go, maybe give them a trial and knock the bass down a couple of dB. Depends on how you define "neutral" I suppose. As a value proposition, the K361 are hard to beat.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I would suggest the AKG K371/ K361 but they may be bassier than you like. If you can use EQ on the go, maybe give them a trial and knock the bass down a couple of dB. Depends on how you define "neutral" I suppose. As a value proposition, the K361 are hard to beat.
Don't know why I didn't think of these... maybe because I don't have them, but this is likely better than my suggestion of the ATs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know why I didn't think of these... maybe because I dom't have them, but this is likely better than my suggestion if the ATs.

I think the M50X got well reviewed here too. I have and dont like (the bluetooth version any rate) but dont have the AKG- but they get well reviewed and talked about. User preference I guess.

KR500

Beyerdynamic 990 Edition 600 ohm

Beyerdynamic 880 250 ohm

Beyerdynamic 770 Pro 250 ohm

ART 31 band stereo graphic equalizer

Audio Technica ATH 900X

Audio Technica ATH 50

Goldring DR100

Last edited:

Atratusnex

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD560s (coming today)
Fostex T50rpMk3 (broke this morning)
Grado SR80e

IEM:
Weston UM 1
KZ AS10

makinao

My Current Collection

Sennheisers
HD414 50th Anniversary Edition - On hot days when I want to relax. My wife’s favorite headphones.
HD280 Pro (old) - For location recording
HD598cs - Bedside headphones for when the neighbors are having a videoke party.
HD58x Jubilee - For casual listening at my workstation
HD25sp - When its hot but I need a closed set
HD650 - For checking mixes
IE40Pro - Used with my wireless IEM system

Others
ATH-M70x - Was supposed to replace my broken HD380Pro, but it is too strident. So it’s waiting for someone to buy it from me
Koss Pro4aa - Someone was selling it cheap in mint condition. I couldn't resist the nostalgia :)

sushi2020

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO (EQ’ed) - Daily used. Due to high noise level in my room, I prefer closed back.
AKG K702 (EQ’ed) - When I want wide soundstage. Good sound, but sometimes the creaking noise bothers me. Bought based on @Robbo99999 's posts.
AKG K371 - Portable. The sound without EQ is ok, but with EQ is great. Bought based on @amirm 's review.

Etymotic ER2SE - When I need isolation. Excellent detail and neutral sound. Amazing value! Bought based on @JohnYang1997 's posts.
Apple AirPods Pro - While walking. Very useful and comfortable.

(The EQ presets I'm using is from oratory1990)

PabloT

When I was 13 years old, I was lucky enough to receive a pair of HD650s. A late uncle of mine who was a recording engineer gave me his old pair. I remember being instantly hooked, but didn't buy more headphones until a couple of years ago, when I bought a pair of etymotic ER4XR, needless to say, I was not disappointed at all, I now had wonderful audio everywhere I went. After that, I got a pair of ER2XR for that tasty bass I was craving. Finally, I got a pair of HD800s after working last summer. I think I'm done for some time, but I do crave me some DCA aeon closed RT. Darned consumerism haha.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was 13 years old, I was lucky enough to receive a pair of HD650s. A late uncle of mine who was a recording engineer gave me his old pair. I remember being instantly hooked, but didn't buy more headphones until a couple of years ago, when I bought a pair of etymotic ER4XR, needless to say, I was not disappointed at all, I now had wonderful audio everywhere I went. After that, I got a pair of ER2XR for that tasty bass I was craving. Finally, I got a pair of HD800s after working last summer. I think I'm done for some time, but I do crave me some DCA aeon closed RT. Darned consumerism haha.
It is fun to try new headphones, and even if they are all EQ'd to the Harman Curve then there are good differences between them. With your HD800s you're probably set , but trying different headphones EQ'd to the same curve (eg Harman) is an interesting experience in noticing characteristic differences. With your HD800s I would think the only place it might possibly lack is the bass when EQ'd up (and assuming you're not using it at stock which is probably not ideal for anyone really). You could maybe get a high end open back planar headphone that has a nice EQ'able frequency response as a means of perhaps improving certainly on the bass of the HD800s, but whether or not you can improve on the soundstage of the HD800s I am uncertain. I should probably try the HD800s, but the price (on principle) prevents me from going there.

HD600 & HD650 are nice with good fidelity & detail (especially when EQ'd which is more necessary on the HD650), but soundstage presentation is a little poor to put it mildly when compared to a lot of headphones.

PabloT

It is fun to try new headphones, and even if they are all EQ'd to the Harman Curve then there are good differences between them. With your HD800s you're probably set , but trying different headphones EQ'd to the same curve (eg Harman) is an interesting experience in noticing characteristic differences. With your HD800s I would think the only place it might possibly lack is the bass when EQ'd up (and assuming you're not using it at stock which is probably not ideal for anyone really). You could maybe get a high end open back planar headphone that has a nice EQ'able frequency response as a means of perhaps improving certainly on the bass of the HD800s, but whether or not you can improve on the soundstage of the HD800s I am uncertain. I should probably try the HD800s, but the price (on principle) prevents me from going there.

HD600 & HD650 are nice with good fidelity & detail (especially when EQ'd which is more necessary on the HD650), but soundstage presentation is a little poor to put it mildly when compared to a lot of headphones.

Yes! I bought the HD800s because in my opinion the soundstage is what makes them special. And I love me some good soundstage. Specially since speakers wouldn't work in my current situation, I decided to splurge on the HD800s. The bass being not perfect is the only thing holding them back for me, I even prefer the bass on the ER2XR. I still enjoy them a great deal, of course.
I do EQ all of my headphones, except the etys when on the go. The reason I crave the Aeon closed RT is for that distortion less bass and decent isolation. I would like to have some closed backs for when the house is not quiet enough. I have sensitive rodent sized ear canals and if I insert my etys too often I get some discomfort and irritation even with the smallest dual flange tips, so I don't use them too often. So yeah, the Aeons look very nice, but I have no rush. With them in my collection, I would feel that my collection would be complete for a long time. Also, I may settle on the K371 if I see a deal online, those look very nice too. If they had Sennheiser QC I may have bought them already, I like to keep my stuff for as long as possible.

Duckofdeath

The four I am using are:

Sennheiser HD 599 SE - Looking for something else. The Sennheiser earpads gets super squeaky with my glasses. I tried replacing those with PU leather pads, but then the sound signature took a brutal nose dive...
Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro 250 ohm - My go tos at home. I usually prefer open back, but see above.
Audeze Sine - Love these with my DAP.
Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro - The lesser of all evils in this headphone jack-free smartphone era.

Top Bottom