• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

What headphone(s) do you own ?

mickeyd123

Patreon Donor
Audeze
EL8 Titanium
Isine 10
LCD x
Grado/Allesandro
Music Series One
Koss
ESP 950
Acoustic Research
AR1
Audioquest
Nighthawk carbon
Audio Technica
m50x
DSR9BT
ATH AD900x
ATH ADX5000
R70x
ATH AD 1000x
Meze
Classic 99
Mitchell and Johnson
JP1
Focal
Elex
Beyerdynamic
T5p
T1
DT900 premium
T90
brainwavz
alara
HiDizs
seeds
MS4
MS1
Ora
xxx (kickstarter graphene headphones not sent yet)
SHURE
SRH 1840
Sennheiser
HD6xx
HD700
HD800s
AKG
k550 mk3
N90Q
K712 pro
Hifiman
he4xx
he 560 (these are in excellent plus condition with balanced cable for $200 from adorama, use amazon to get them cheaper via adorama, instead of direct from adorama)
EFS

MY WIFE SAYS I HAVE AN AUDIO ADDICTION, CAN'T IMAGINE WHY....

mickeyd123

Patreon Donor
I like all of them depending on my mood and music I want to listen to. Sometimes via tube amp, sometimes via massdrop thx 789 with balanced cables, or hiby r6 with balanced, or RME ADI-2 DAC non balanced.

pwjazz

This is the first time I hear that one of these models is boomy. I don't think that this may be caused by the amplifier, except in cases of really bad design. The output impedance must be quite high to have a significant influence on the sound due to the Sennheissers having 300 Ohm nominally impedance.

If it's just a case of personal preference (fine with me, tastes differ) you may be more happy with AKG K5xx and K7xx. Maybe not those models tuned by musicians, just the standard models.
I found my HD600 a bit wooly when I had it and it certainly lacked bass definition compared with something like the DT 1990 Pro. I find my current HD58X slightly less wooly, and even less so with @solderdude's felt mod.

Sennheiser HD58X
Sony MDR-V6
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro
Grado 125i

The UE's don't sound very good by modern standards. The grados sound OK with no bass. I like the comfort and weight of the V6, it's balanced but kind of harsh. The 58X is good enough for most things.

Last edited:

onicept

I currently use a Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro with the averaged Sonarworks EQ profile (wonderful software/service, planning on getting my specific unit calibrated). It has replaced both an Eikon and a HD800 (!). It's very comfortable and a fantastic performer with proper EQ. I also own a KSC75 for "casual use", ie when I'm on the iPad/iPhone.
The DT1770 is plugged into an Atom/SDAC stack, which performs well. I can crank the volume way past comfortable levels without any hint of distortion.

mickeyd123

Patreon Donor
I currently use a Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro with the averaged Sonarworks EQ profile (wonderful software/service, planning on getting my specific unit calibrated). It has replaced both an Eikon and a HD800 (!). It's very comfortable and a fantastic performer with proper EQ. I also own a KSC75 for "casual use", ie when I'm on the iPad/iPhone.
The DT1770 is plugged into an Atom/SDAC stack, which performs well. I can crank the volume way past comfortable levels without any hint of distortion.
Nice!!

jhaider

Added NAD HP70 recently. Noise cancelling, bluetooth, etc. NC isn't as wideband as the Bose earbuds, but noise floor of the electronics is lower and the cancelling does well on plane thrum. They seal better behind my ears the HP50 did, but otherwise sound pretty similar. Maybe better defined bass. Headband is more comfortable.

The case is cost-reduced but more useful than HP50. Instead of the nicely finished standalone hard case for cables and adapters with the HP50 there's a little mesh pocket sewn in. The upside is that the new mesh pocket doesn't fall out when you open it quickly and aren't thinking about the case inside the case.

I also picked up a Twelve South Airfly, which is a small bluetooth broadcaster. The pairing works really well on long flights. It's nice to lie your seat down and not worry about pinching a wire. I have not used it with music, only in-flight systems.

Top Bottom