• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went after Lateral Tracking Error Distortion and Rumble when I got this model Technics SL-M3 (which is still my go to table for most LP listening).

(My DUAL 1229 is for casual listening & party playing as it can drop several LP's 1 at a time from it's tri-pod mechanism spindle that only touches
the outside of the LP's center hole and the tone arm base rises to keep the VTA even with the now stacked LP's).

Technics SL-M3

Specifications​

Type: fully automatic

Drive method: direct drive

Motor: brushless DC motor

Drive control method: quartz phase locked control

Platter: 325mm, 2.5kg, aluminium die-cast

Pitch control: +-6% range

Speeds: 33 and 45rpm

Wow and flutter: 0.022% WRMS

Rumble: -82dB

Tonearm: dynamically-balanced linear tracking

Effective length: 238mm

Effective mass: 13g (including cartridge)

Cartridge: moving magnet

Replacement stylus: EPS-33ES

Dimensions: 526 x 205 x 425mm

Weight: 15kg

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
$10K is certainly excessive to get a high performing turntable. The Technics SL-1200G is one of the highest performing in the market (by its measurements) and it’s “only” $4300. One can still do very well for less. An enjoyable system can cost considerably less.

On the topic of turntables and questionable brands, what was up with the Schiit Sol ??! Here’s truly a case where the brand reputation did not impart confidence about a product for me.
I am still (strongly) of the opinion that the SOL (Schiit outta luck) was the boys' was of flipping the bird at the vinylista. Performance art. A joke.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am still (strongly) of the opinion that the SOL (Schiit outta luck) was the boys' was of flipping the bird at the vinylista. Performance art. A joke.
As a marketing tool it certainly got them on the map. & then they actually re-invested their money into their company & started making better, ahm, Schiit.
As it turned out, they were serious about making good Schiit.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
As a marketing tool it certainly got them on the map. & then they actually re-invested their money into their company & started making better, ahm, Schiit.
As it turned out, they were serious about making good Schiit.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Yeah, you're right -- could've been guerrilla marketing, for sure. :)
I told all y'all I got a Mani for our church. It's a good product for its modest cost (and now on clearance, I see).

EDIT: As I reflect on the matter: I guess I could refer to the Mani as Holy Schiit.

Repdetect

Forum Donor
Any Mac product.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There's something I've always liked about a fairly large stand mounted speaker on a low set of stands, angled towards the listener (ideally on custom stands designed for that speaker).
A pair of Klipsch Heresy's on some 15" to 18" tall works out very well like this.
Probably a very good idea to add some DRC to fill in what might get lost on the bottom end due
to the missing floor coupling.
il_794xN.5026194631_oj61.jpg

Or just the angle types to get the vertical axis correct.
I believe these were Klipsch factory made.
capitol_heresy_iii-blonde6.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I went after Lateral Tracking Error Distortion and Rumble when I got this model Technics SL-M3 (which is still my go to table for most LP listening).
I still believe short, light weight, SLT arms combined with high compliance needles, is the way to go with vinyl,
Of course the high end media has convinced the crowd that what makes sense engineering wise, is bad for sound.
And they all run exactly the opposite in their rigs.

Middle Earth

Any Delta Sigma Chip DAC
No one with $$$ to spend and can choose ends up with one

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still believe short, light weight, SLT arms combined with high compliance needles, is the way to go with vinyl,
Of course the high end media has convinced the crowd that what makes sense engineering wise, is bad for sound.
And they all run exactly the opposite in their rigs.
I guess that you noticed that my arm is short (228 MM or 8.976") & light (Effective mass: 13g (including cartridge),[I don't know about the compliance of the Shure V-15 T4P mounts that I use but they seem to work superbly well].
Naturally: linear tracking has it's benefit but has other issues with the sideways movement of the whole arm.
But I believe that overall it's the best way to go for records.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I guess that you noticed that my arm is short (228 MM or 8.976") & light (Effective mass: 13g (including cartridge),[I don't know about the compliance of the Shure V-15 T4P mounts that I use but they seem to work superbly well].
Naturally: linear tracking has it's benefit but has other issues with the sideways movement of the whole arm.
But I believe that overall it's the best way to go for records.
Your Shure with the P-mount design is a fairly high compliance cartridge and is just about perfect for your application.
Stay away from the low compliance moving coils here.
That is a absolutely beautiful table and one I'd love to own if I did vinyl any more.
Enjoy

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I was wondering about the SHURE's compliance. The tone arm is made out of Titanium Nitride. (so it says, anyway).
I have an original in the box Technics EPS-33ES (what the SL-M3 originally came with) also. I have mounted it & tried it a few times but I like the SHURE ULTRA 300 & the other SHURE V-15 T4P mounts better.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 351444
Come on.... you couldn't possibly think that I could make this up.:D
Model number is MD699... it could only mean that there may have been upto 698 previous versions.
argh.gif
In general I will actively avoid and disdain any product where some unrelated junk producer obviously bought the rights (or is just squatting) on the trademark of a defunct but formerly cherished and successful company. Sometimes they use the old logos, sometimes not. See this 'Magnavox' or almost anything branded RCA, Nakamichi, Minolta, GE etc

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would an audiophile of the female persuasion be reluctant in purchasing a Manley product?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Certainly not if she knew that the owner/president/CEO was EveAnna Manley.
I guess I was slacking by not including the "original" before the words ..."Manley products"
We all know who used to wear the boots in that family... before a 'few adjustments' were necessitated.
Isn't there also a son involved in the current company?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In general I will actively avoid and disdain any product where some unrelated junk producer obviously bought the rights (or is just squatting) on the trademark of a defunct but formerly cherished and successful company. Sometimes they use the old logos, sometimes not. See this 'Magnavox' or almost anything branded RCA, Nakamichi, Minolta, GE etc
Maybe they started with MD 20-20?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I guess I was slacking by not including the "original" before the words ..."Manley products"
We all know who used to wear the boots in that family... before a 'few adjustments' were necessitated.
Isn't there also a son involved in the current company?
AFAIK, Luke Manley is with VTL.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AFAIK and just few years ago, I recall briefly chatting with Luke at the T.H.E. Show (SoCal) while he was still at the 'new' Manley.

Top Bottom