• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are we listening to right now..

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Chick Corea Electric Band - To the Stars

Based on some vision of L. Ron Hubbard's "To The Stars"

61wIvZXMNjL._SY355_.jpg

"John L. Walters gave the album a negative review in The Guardian, writing that the album "cries out for warning stickers - 'this album contains dangerously high levels of Scientology'", and that it "drags some perfectly fine jazz musicians ... through conceptual purgatory".

I've found it has taken me a while to learn to appreciate Chick Corea. I like to watch him play, very economical in motion, but boy do a lot of notes comes out.

Mastering - Bernie Grundman

I bought this one unheard... I probably don't care for it that much... This play is as if its the first time I've heard it (it isn't), didn't recognize it in the rack.

If I were streaming, I'd likely click and move on (anxiety), but since it's spinning in the player across the room, it gets to continue. I think it better that way.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Well... At least I won't have to listen to that one again until (estimating) next winter sometime.

I play something, leave it cocked in the rack, until I really get down to the dregs, and then push them all back in and start over.

Now for something more accessible:

Carla Bley - Steve Swallow - Are We There yet?

Piano and Bass guitar duets performed live in Europe in October of 1998

1461184687_front.jpg

Mixed and Mastered at Grog Kill Studio (It's in her basement near Willow NY)

"The Allmusic review by David R. Adler awarded the album 4 stars and stated "Bley's piano is remarkably versatile and passionate, and Swallow's signature electric bass sound tickles the senses".

The JazzTimes review by Bill Bennett said "Bley on piano is by no means a virtuoso, leaving the solo chores to Swallow-certainly not a bad thing, in and of itself. And Bley plays like the composer that she is, with a wry sense of humor and a comprehensive sense of intent that gives its piece both intellectual and emotional weight."

Sample...

Last edited:

PaulyT

Carla Bley - Steve Swallow - Are We There yet?

Nice, I like that a lot! Ordered. I fully admit I'm partial to anything with a piano in it. But that's an interesting combo, piano and bass.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Gypsy Star

gypsystar_large.jpg

Given to me by a friend I haven't seen in a long time, a long time ago.

"This self-titled GYPSY STAR CD debuts the band’s creative style and enchanting sound in this collection of original songs.

A unique band from the Tampa Bay area of Florida, Gypsy Star fuses American musical styles of folk, rock, pop and jazz with sounds and rhythms from around the world. The name Gypsy Star was inspired by the carefree spirit of the gypsies whose music was influenced by the many countries they traveled. Tapping into Latin, Celtic and Mediterranean flavors… Gypsy Star weaves a colorful melodic tapestry of enchanting, uplifting music with acoustic instruments such as classical flamenco guitar, woodwinds and an array of hand percussion and drums. The mystique behind this American folk-rock band's songs lie at the creative hand of guitarist/composer Billy Keen who combines his own musical roots in rock with an exotic global influence. The result is an inspiring and eclectic experience appealing to both mainstream and world music audiences alike."

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
West Side Story Soundtrack (on Sony CD)

west_side_story.jpg

I like Bernstein's music.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Jethro Tull - Stand Up

jt.jpg

Stand Up represents the first album project on which Anderson was in full control of the music and lyrics.

Good musicians, good music.

Recording engineer Andy Johns

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
World Entertainment War

610i%2BnMQrXL.jpg

World Entertainment War is an American funk rock band, formed in 1986, noted for its memorable costumes, props, and antics, both on and off-stage and for songs containing intricate lyrics of a political and often humorous nature. They have been described as having, "catchy tunes, fierce musical chops, thought-provoking lyrics and a unique tribal funk-rock sound," and their sound has been called, "friendly, mischievous, groove-based rock with a powerful message, played with passion and professionalism." The band describes itself as “a benevolent media virus programmed to prevent the entertainment criminals from stealing your imagination."

They sound sort of like the B-52's to me.

Another fine bargain bin selection that gets played during a "What should I just throw away?" purge, but remains. It's listenable....

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Glen Gould - Hindemith - Sonatas for Brass and Piano

MI0000958945.jpg

Sing along with Glenn...

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
These are not necessarily my "go to" picks unless they got missed on this loop through the CD rack...

As for "heroic", I'm just "Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day . . ." - FZ - Let's Make the Water Turn Black

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Japonize Elephants From Zorlock, Land of the Lost - Bob's Bacon Barn

MI0002388004.jpg

I saw these guys here at the SkipperDome, they were rather entertaining.

2016-05-18_1443.png

"String the banjo. Lick the reeds. Pack the bowl... The lives of the Japonize Elephants are the type an outsider can never comprehend. Brought together by an unnatural obsession with pirate culture, robots, Bill Monroe and fried bacon, the nine people of the tribe are steered by the Emperqq of Zorlock through a catacomb of musical styles at hyper speeds only a Zorlockian could function at.

BOB'S BACON BARN is the first release by the Japonize Elephants and gives a glimpse of what this band is capable of. Their musical goulash smells of bluegrass sauteed with a Spanish Middle-Eastern spice and smattered with hardcore Irish pepper, yet is not so easy to pin down. Recorded live to one microphone on Thanksgiving Day, 1996, the violin sounds as crisp as the hubcap percussion" - Secretly Canadian.

Sample...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The Carla Bley Band - Musique Mécanique (1978)

0004228393132_600.jpg

"Her mood seemed to have relaxed considerably, and Musique Mecanique(november 1978) was the ultimate proof, almost a divertissment for tentet. The 23-minute three-movement Musique Mecaniqueand Jesus Maria and Other Spanish Strainswere bizarre but not too cerebral (and frequently humurous) compositions, highlighted by the solos of tenor saxophonist Gary Windo and trombonist Roswell Rudd. The other players (besides Bley and Mantler) included Alan Braufman on reeds, John Clark on french horn, Bob Stewart on tuba, Terry Adams on piano, Steve Swallow and Charlie Haden on basses, and Eugene Chadbourne on guitar. Like all of her best works, this was both jazz, rock and classical music, while being blasphemous to them all." - http://www.scaruffi.com/jazz/cbley.html

Sample - (1) 440...

Another, maybe more ambitious Sample - (3) Musique Mécanique I

Carla Bley Pori Jazzissa 1978

She'd old old old now, but still working:

touring_01.jpg

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
John Coltrane - Transition (performance 1965)

538f43a9fcfad916dd899774eef2420f.jpg

1993 CD
"Transition" - 15:31
"Welcome" - 5:34
"Suite" (Prayer and Meditation: Day, Peace and After, Prayer and Meditation: Evening, Affirmation, Prayer and Meditation: 4 A.M.) - 21:20
"Vigil" - 9:51
(CD track 2 and 4 not part of original LP)

John Coltrane - tenor saxophone
McCoy Tyner - piano
Jimmy Garrison - double bass
Elvin Jones - drums

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The Texas Millionaires - Puttin' on the Ritz

TXMillionairesPOTRitz.jpg

Wiki: The Texas Millionaires, a men's a cappella performing chorus, 56 members strong, has a long history in Fort Worth, dating back 60 years. It sings four-part barbershop-style harmony.

When I worked out of Irving, TX, a project manager, J.R. Leath, was a member of this group, and to help them out I bought a CD.

Maybe 20 of them sang at The Christmas Party Lunch one year, it was good.

The CD is good, good singers, good recording, good arrangements, however, as expectable, the repertoire is probably not something I would listen to except in this instance.

Tracks: Happy Days are Here Again, Puttin' on the Ritz, The Sunshine of Your Smile, Makin' Whoopie, A Little Bit of Happiness, When the Roll is Called Up Yonder, This Boy (The Four of Us), I Believe, Stars Fell on Alabama, Hard Hearted Hannah

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Boingo - Boingo (1993)

51EQK4DBJVL.jpg

Danny Elfman, as he became bored with Oingo Boingo and did this.

First track...

I like this recording... Keeps driving all the way through, and the compositions and arrangements are strangely satisfying.

Disclaimer: When lyrics are present, I usually don't hear the words just the musical contribution of the voice or voices, so I usually have no idea what gets sung about.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The Beatles - Live at the BBC

bbcalt1.jpg

Top Bottom