• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are we listening to right now..

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
F9A53594-C37B-4E98-B914-2045F79A05C6.jpeg

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Wilhelm Kempff: Gluck, ‘La Plainte d'Orphée’​

After about 7 years interval, today I am listening "again" to the CD remastering of Kempff's "Bach (and Gluck) Piano Transcriptions", 439 672-2 Deutsche Grammophon, with my latest audio setup. (Of course, I also have the original LP release.)
WS003853.JPG

I am really impressed by the total sound quality of the remastering CD release of these monumental performances and recording in 1976...

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Minilogue : E De Nan Hemma, 45 mins of absolute electronic (but very easy listening electronic) wizardry with piano, synths, birdsong (you’ll swear there is a songbird flying around your room) percussion to die for and a rolling undercurrent beat that grabs you and drags into the music whilst you’d swear your listening to a well recorded atmos setup, very well engineered/produced and mastered (YouTube version is prob a bit iffy though), a real good musical test for any system.

mvleff

This track led to do a deeper dive. Spectacular! - Not the same but reminds me of my love for Hugh Masekela. Though I can't find it, I thought I had previously contributed an item re: a Masekela album from 1973 titled "Introducing Hedzoleh Soundz." Recorded in Lagos, Nigeria. Never reissued, I believe, which is a shame. Fortunately I still have the original LP, in mint condition, archived first on cassette and more recently digitally. There is a download available from several sources, I believe originally from Brazil. I blew $10 on it from the iTunes store, thinking I'd have myself a nice, clean digital version without having to put in the work. DREADFUL! Speed was about +4%, tracks out of order!! From what I can tell iTunes may have since removed it, maybe thanks to my complaint . . . though I was too late to get my $$ back! A case of may the buyer beware. If anyone is interested, stay away from the version with cover art showing a gold medallion and laurels around a "35 years" caption. Appears that I am unable to attach the WEBP file of the crap version of the cover art, so only a JPEG of the original. There are several tracks available on YouTube, both the good and the bad: <https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfHs-4E3Z-a8T_XCV7ZfQBTUDntDJiKIy>. Truth is that if you're not familiar with the album, the sped up tracks might not offend. Oh well. - I'm adding two YouTube links to both versions of of one track: <
> & <
>. Just the facts, ma'am. Thank you for that, Ralph.

Attachments

• Masekela_Introducing Hedzoleh Soundz.2.jpg
    Masekela_Introducing Hedzoleh Soundz.2.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom