• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the three most expensive audio purchases you've made? How would you do you see them now post hoc?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I've always been pretty economical. I was around when CDs were were introduced and I decided to wait until CD players came-down to $200 USD before I bought one. By the time they came down to $200, prices were dropping fast and I paid closer to $100.

Except a little later when CD burners were new and bleeding-edge I bought one for $1000! The blank CDs were $12! I had made "mix tape" cassettes and I wanted to do the same thing after I installed CD players in by vehicles.

I've got about 18.000 digital songs (mostly ripped from CDs) so assuming about a dollar per song, that's probably my biggest total expense.

Leporello

Most expensive (relatively speaking) has been a pair of Stax headphones. I really, really liked them initially (20 years ago), but these days I think I might slightly prefer my HD600s.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Subwoofer (Rythmik F12) and a pair of Neumann KH120 and Presonus Sceptre S8.

I haven’t spent anything more expensive than those items on any other audio-related equipment/accessory purchases. It’s worth it, I reckon. At this point, I’m just waiting for something to break (or be unrepairable) before purchasing something more “expensive”.

egellings

Major Contributor
For me, ProAc tower speakers (The Response 3.8 model) that set me back about 8K about 20 years ago. Still sound fine to me and I don't want to replace them with something current.

napfkuchen

1. Genelec 8331 + 7350 + GLM (5.600 Euro)
2. Dan Clark ETHER 2
3. RME ADI2-DAC

Got the RME and paired it with different headphones over time (Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro, Beyerdynamic T1.2, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire, Hifiman Sundara) but since owning the Genelecs lost interest in them and sold everything (ETHER 2 was returned after testing) except for the Hifiman which is rarely in use. For my gaming pc a Sennheiser 560s is more than sufficient (decent sound, works with onboard soundcard, lightweight, comfortable to wear for long periods of time because of the open design).
After testing with Dirac for some time, I've come to the conclusion that while it's helpful, the front speakers in my surround setup could still use an upgrade. However, my budget is currently maxed out. So there's enough time to browse for alternatives here and observe the inflationary price development. :p

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been fortunate to find high quality, older gear at great prices. My most expensive purchase to date is my pair of Thiel CS6 speakers bought for $2500 in 2006 or 2007. I still have them and still love ‘em. The original retail price was $8800 in the early 1990’s, I believe. At this point, I think they’re officially “vintage”. ;)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been fortunate to find high quality, older gear at great prices. My most expensive purchase to date is my pair of Thiel CS6 speakers bought for $2500 in 2006 or 2007. I still have them and still love ‘em. The original retail price was $8800 in the early 1990’s, I believe. At this point, I think they’re officially “vintage”. ;)

The CS6 remains one of my all time favourite speakers. Lucky dude. I'd still take them over most loudspeakers I've heard and at their second hand price I think they are one of the best bargains in audio.

There's also, I think for Thiel fans, a bit of pride in owning a Jim Thiel design. The guy was such a clever engineer and seemed to be a class act.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The CS6 remains one of my all time favourite speakers. Lucky dude. I'd still take them over most loudspeakers I've heard and at their second hand price I think they are one of the best bargains in audio.

There's also, I think for Thiel fans, a bit of pride in owning a Jim Thiel design. The guy was such a clever engineer and seemed to be a class act.
I'd not own anything by Thiel just because of his idiotic political views myself let alone his boating skills.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd not own anything by Thiel just because of his idiotic political views myself let alone his boating skills.

??

I'd never heard Jim Thiel speak of his political views let alone boating. Are you mixing him up with Peter Thiel?

JimBean

Google led to a story about a completely different Jim Thiel involved in a boating accident that led to a couple deaths. So yeah, definitely not the same person. Also couldn't really find anything about the speaker designer Thiel's political views. Especially since he passed away in 2009.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This was Jim Thiel of THIEL Audio…

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Google led to a story about a completely different Jim Thiel involved in a boating accident that led to a couple deaths. So yeah, definitely not the same person. Also couldn't really find anything about the speaker designer Thiel's political views. Especially since he passed away in 2009.

Yep. Been following Jim's career since the late 90's, seen tons of interviews, business articles, interacted with him and his company myself, have seen a wide range of industry people and employees talk about him, even his brother who didn't always see eye-to-eye with Jim, and the take away is that he was a real gentleman of high integrity. So if someone has evidence to the contrary, let's see it. Chrispy's out-of-nowhere negative take is one of the weirder comments I've seen in an audio forum.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can say I never heard a bad word about the man. I’m proud to own original Thiel speakers made before private equity bought the firm after his passing. They are classics now.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The most expensive for me were the Aerial Acoustic 10t speakers which were around $5500 in 1995, the Cardas Heart Ruby phono cartridge also purchased in 1995 which was $3000, and the Smyth A16 Realizer which was purchased in 2019 for $4000.

Also have to consider that in 1977 I bought a Fidelity Research FR 64 tone arm with B60 stabilizer for around $1200, a Mitch Cotter ML-1 Moving Coil Output Transformer for $500, and a Fidelity Research FR 1 Mk3f phono cartdridge for $300. That $2,000 in 1977 dollars for a cartridge, tone arm, and moving coil step up device which would be $10,307 in 2024 dollars.

I have no regrets on any of those purchases. The FR tonearm was with me for 30 years and performed top notch service for analog. So too did the FR 1 Mk3 f which to this day I think is superior to the Koetsu Black, and the Cardas Heart Ruby is a mod of the Benz Micro with a wood body. It was easily the best analog moving coil cartridge I ever had.

The Aerial 10t's are one the best speakers to come out of the 1990's. Very similar in design to the Waveform Mach Solo's which were universally acclaimed, but so too were the 10t's which won Stereophile's speaker of the year in 1995.

Finally, the Smyth A16 which are the only way I'll listen to headphones. Thanks to it, I hear 24 channels of Dutch & Dutch 8C's creating an Atmos home theater experience in my HD 800's and LCD X's. There's nothing else like it, and I can hear it anytime I want, even 4am which I often do when watching a movie.

Last edited:

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Feel fine, but just get a bit of that throw up in my mouth with a lot of your postings.
Uh, perhaps hit that "Ignore" button and spare everyone the frustration?

Coming back to the topic...

1. Genelec 8351B - best purchase ever. Would buy again, no questions asked.

2. Focal Utopia - got them used, for roughly half the MSRP. Mixed bag: on one hand very impressive sound, on the other I'm annoyed I have to EQ them to extract their full potential. Money spent doesn't feel great. Wouldn't buy again.

3. Audeze LCD-X - this is a weird situation where objectively looking it was a pretty bad purchase, but emotionally I'm very attached to them. The bass gave me so many memorable experiences. Electric guitars have weight and bite to them. Once EQ'd, I love their sound. And I happen to enjoy their industrial design and weight too. And they look positively ridiculous on my head. Probably would buy again.

4. 64audio A12t - another mixed bag. Love the design and comfort, but the sound out of the box is terrible. They do sound fantastic with EQ though, otherwise I'd be kicking myself. Definitely wouldn't buy again, would look for a cheaper, more neutral CIEM instead.

Anonamemouse

My most expensive item was a Souvereign pre amp which set me back waaay too much. It's been replaced with a Benchmark LA4 as soon as it came out (I was the first that ordered one in the Netherlands) which even sounds better.
Third on the list would be a Bryston 4B SST2 (the link goes to the new version which apparently does sound better).
Second on the list arrived just yesterday: an Aurender N200

Multicore

Major Contributor

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Cambridge Audio Evo75, wasn't impressed with it apart from the way it looked, went back after a week. Aside from that, usually go for budget type stuff these days as have tried a lot of more expensive stuff and never really felt it was worth parting with the outlay and just stuck with what I had since then before selling everything ready for move this year and start again but simplified and likely as cheap but as good as possible.

Seems a lot of mainstream brands stuff I've tested just doesn't really better far cheaper but well engineered stuff. Maybe there's more of an uplift for those with deeper pockets though, but to be honest I've learnt to appreciate the more affordable yet quality stuff that's available nowadays. Really is awesome time's in the world of Hi-fi if you can see past the hype of certain things and not being a victim to brand snobbery. Effectively any budget can get anyone a level of quality with help from actual reviewer's like Amir and Erin. Incredible when you could spend thousands on a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge DAC and some fancy pants amplifier that's super expensive yet highly flawed when measured here, and do better with a WIIM Amp at £300.

Such is the landscape now, even if I had millions of disposable income I really don't think I'd indulge the vastly more expensive stuff. I see why people do, wether it's the brand cache and the bragging rights or the Uber fancy design.

Lord Magus

I only have two expensive pieces of gear. My speakers are a pair of Focal Sopra n.2 and the amps are a pair of March Audio P701.

I couldn't be happier! It's only been a couple months and I still spend hours every single day sitting and listening to everything I've ever known in my life.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
IMG_1379.jpeg
414FCC43-0E11-41F6-A55A-F1DB2648D5CD.png

I bought a DSP room correction preamp, DAC Streamer++

I got it second hand for 5000 USD=1/2 of the retail price 5 years ago. Now it costs 14 500 USD.
Doing room correction with this advanced machine has been very useful and satisfying. Little reason to upgrade anything any more.

I also got a fantastic trade in deal 3 years ago on a NEW Accuphase A-48, where I in reality paid a total value of half price ( 6000USD) for an amp that now costs 13000 usd.
Looks gorgeous and sounds wonderful and measures superbly. I never have to buy a power amps again.

lastly I paid 2000usd for this A Michell Gyro SE with SME V arm.Kind of gorgeous too and vinyl is a never ending tweaking hobby.

I will not be buying any more amplifiers and probably keep my two speaker pairs too, I should set up the 25year old AudioPhysic Virgo 2 , if only I could move them from my fathers house( he is 90y and very happy with them staying there), so I use the Trinnov to make my Revel F36 sound optimal.

Most expensive move? , buying an apartment for my invalid/chronic sick daughter so she could live and have a life of her own instead of living with her son with mom and dad. 500 000 USD freeed up what is now my listening room /library

Last edited:
Top Bottom