• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the three most expensive audio purchases you've made? How would you do you see them now post hoc?

Lotus78

B&W 703 $3,400 ($6,079 adjusted for inflation) in 2001 by todays standards they would be very average and over priced. In comparison I currently own the Philharmonic BMR Monitors $2,000 and Wharfedale Lintons with stands $1,500 both are better in everyway.

Benchmark AHB2 amp $3,400. Not much to find wrong but probably overkill chasing THD+N

Last edited:

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
In terms of equipment cost:

1 - Current main speakers : Focal Kanta 2.
Very satisfied from both sound quality and design/finish perspectives.
A bit overpriced especially these days compared to some other speakers but I got a very interesting discount.

2 - Previous main speakers: Magnat Quantum 759.
Good price / quality ratio but old school design.

3 - Previous AVR: Marantz SR6015.
Didn't want it but was the cheapest full featured AVR that could act as an AVP.
I replaced since with a Flex HT.

But for me, best purchases ever (with best ROI and added value) were minidsp products (DDRC24, Flex, Flex HT).

Last edited:

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm a frugal engineer and don't like spending more than I have to, even on my hobby:
  1. KEF R3 Meta - $2200
  2. Buckeye Custom 6Ch Amp - $1500
  3. RME ADI-2-DAC FS - $1200
No regrets. Each of these are in separate systems and are critical to that system's success.

Very happy!

Todd k

Forum Donor
most expensive. Used salon 2’s $9000. 3 years ago. Best money I have ever spent . Bought a Bryston 14 bsst about 20 years ago for i think 4500, still have it. Have switched over to buckeye amps. Easier to move. Before my salons I bought a pair of Tyler acoustic signature linnbrook 2 pc speakers that cost about 5 g, still have them too. All of these were great investments. I will not detail any of my spending in the last 40 years on cable woo, power woo an tweak bs crap. Thank you ASR for opening my eyes.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My Paradigm Signature S8 v1 at around $4500 or so list price when I bought them around 2007 or 2008. Bought the C3 center at the same time. They've been great and I have zero desire to ever part ways with them.

Todd k

Forum Donor
Oh I forgot about my LKS 005 dac I bought and sent to Amir about a year ago that he reviewed. It got panned for some dodgey specs. That one was a bad investment, fortunately the seller did take it back. Been buying gear since the early eighties a probably have forgotten half the crap I bought. most of had to have been pretty ****** since I was always broke. Luckily the last ten years I could afford good stuff and good stuff tends to have lasting value.

Reactions: CMB

Multicore

Major Contributor
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower RAAL are the most expensive. No regrets. Sounds good to me. I thought about buying the ELX upgrade kit for them but feared that we might not notice any or much difference and then I'd surely feel very foolish. There was no chance we'd do a proper A/B test and it would be one day to the next between listening to do the upgrade.

The next most expensive was a Musical Fidelity M3si integrated amp that worked ok but offended my antiaudiophile sensibilities, as I have mentioned here before. We replaced that with a MiniDSP Flex and 2ch Buckeye Hypex amp.

JimBean

I mostly buy used, and I'm not wealthy. So these will most likely be fairly cheap to alot of you.Three most expensive would be, in order:

OPPO BDP-105: Scored this on usaudiomart for $650, complete with box and all accessories. Very happy with it, although I have been getting the dreaded unknown disc error with blu-rays lately.

Parasound Halo A23 & P3: These were $400 each, plus $40 for shipping on the A23. Overall I'm happy with the combo. Although I have a Fosi ZA3 on the way, hopefully by the end of the month. I may end up switching to that and using my Schiit Magnius as the preamp. I only have two sources, the Oppo and my DAC (mainly just for Qobuz streaming), so having a preamp with so many inputs is overkill.

D

Deleted member 48437

What are the most expensive audio purchases you've made? How would you do you see them now post hoc?
A bit off topic but keeping with the best equipment you like (great post question), does anyone own a class d that sounds like u are in the front row? Every one I have heard sounds like I am in the middle of the fray in the concert.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A bit off topic but keeping with the best equipment you like (great post question), does anyone own a class d that sounds like u are in the front row? Every one I have heard sounds like I am in the middle of the fray in the concert.
I'd say that is dependent upon the speaker more than the class of amplifier operation.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the most expensive audio purchases you've made? How would you do you see them now post hoc?

I'm guessing, and I don't remember exact pricing, but here goes.

#1 would likely be Revel Gem2's on their pedestal stands. They're exceptional speakers and IMO look great in our formal living room, but have been poor audio value for me simply because I don't listen to them much. This setup is my first 2-channel (non-desktop) system since probably undergrad, and multichannel native or Auromatic is just vastly better.

#2 is probably an ATI AT4007 7-channel amp. Nothing against the amp at all. It's probably still best of breed or damn near that in its power class. However, our multichannel setup currently needs dedicated DSP-amps for the front speakers, and this amp has proven hard to sell due to its weight and massive increase in shipping costs post Covid. In hindsight when the trigger on my old ATI AT2007 started going wonky I should have just replaced the trigger module - or just sold it cheaply and subbed in the Sherwood Newcastle A-965 in my childhood bedroom, instead of trading up.

#3 is probably my first Monoprice HTP-1 AVP. HTP-1 is IMO still the sweet spot preamp for immersive, surround, or sophisticated stereo systems. In hindsight...I think #4 is probably a second, used HTP-1 (they had a year+ production pause due to parts shortages, so only the only way to get one was to buy used) currently used with of #1 and #2 on this list! There wasn't - and unfortunately still isn't - a more cost effective way to get competent automated multisub integration/calibration and thoughtfully executed loudness compensation, even for 2-channel systems.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Cessaro ‘Liszt’ four way horns by far the most expensive item I have ever bought, I can only sat it seemed a good idea at the time.

The middle ones in case you were wondering.
Keith

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cessaro ‘Liszt’ four way horns by far the most expensive item I have ever bought, I can only sat it seemed a good idea at the time.

Some decisions are hard to explain. My ex wife seemed like a good idea at the time. It's been many years now, and although I've forgiven her for everything I probably did, I will never forgive her for taking the Pioneer SX-1980 when we were dividing up stuff. I know she did that completely out of spite. Which was too much, even if I deserved it.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
My Joseph Audio Perspective 2 Graphene speakers were easily the most expensive purchase in my audiophile career. I bought them 5 years ago.

Almost all my previous speakers were bought second hand, and I always found wicked deals, but these speakers were much harder to come by. I had wanted to by the latest "graphene 2" model but they were ridiculously expensive new. So I bought my dealer's floor model of the older, original Perspective speakers, and when I sold some other gear later on I put that in to upgrading my Perspectives to the "2" version (new drivers/crossover installed at the factory).

How do I view the purchase at this point? Deliriously happy. They've continued to blow my mind. Plus they "look like a million bucks" in terms of design and fit and finish, something I care about. Also, they work perfectly for my purposes - since my two channel speakers share the room with my home theater, I needed a narrow and diminutive enough speaker that wouldn't edge in on the image of my projection screen. But I didn't want to give up the "big sound" I was used to with my previous larger floorstanders. And these things sound Really Big too.

Aside from those speakers, the other massive purchase had to do with the design and construction of my AV room in 2009, with the help of an acoustician. All together that room, the home theater, how it works with 2 channel as well, was the best decision I ever made.
I have red your comments about the Joseph´s before and a bit here and there about your system, so I might as well ask a bit detail. If I got it right, you use your system for both stereo and multichannel. I have red several times that the start of a good multichannel system is alway a good stereo pair and build from there, are you of that mindset? Second question is, is it really worth it to isolate stereo in terms of electronics or do you consider more worth it to have the capability integrated as with the use of an AVR/AVP?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Keith

That speaker looks like fun!

I also spy the Manger speaker next too it. What did you think of those?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have red your comments about the Joseph´s before and a bit here and there about your system,

And just to be clear, I mention them sometimes simply in terms of how they hit my own particular pleasure buttons, which is not to say they are any better than some other ASR member's loudspeakers.

so I might as well ask a bit detail. If I got it right, you use your system for both stereo and multichannel.

I have two different systems. The amplification and sources are down the hall in a separate room for both the two channel and home theater. The cabling for all that runs through walls/floors in to my listening/home theater room.

In the home theater/listening room, I have the two separate speakers systems: My two channel speakers (Josephs) which are pulled well out towards the listening sofa, and my surround system for my home theater. The HT speakers have the usual set up of the L/C/R speakers flanking the projection screen, and there are side and back channels for surround. I also listen to music on that system.

Occasionally I hook up the Joseph speakers to my home theater system (AVR), and sometimes I hook up my L/C home theater speakers to my 2 channel amps (tube) and sources. Sometimes I mix and match. Though mostly I listen to the systems separately.

I have red several times that the start of a good multichannel system is alway a good stereo pair and build from there, are you of that mindset?

Yes I'm of that mindset. I come from an audiophile-first mindset regarding loudspeakers - that any speaker I have in my room first must be very engaging with music on their own, so I'm a "music first" approach vs a "brute force what speakers do I need for home theater?" approach.

Along those lines I chose Hales Transcendance speakers for my L/C/R. They are a defunkt company now, but I owned their larger tower speakers and I'd just swoon at their timbral realism and smoothness, so I bought their top of the line stand mounts for my music listeninig for quite a while before they did HT duty, and then I got their big center channel to match. They match beautifully. And going with speakers that passed my most stringent "does it sound human/right" test with music paid off perfectly. For me there is a human "unmechanical" quality and timbral color to movie soundtracks on the system that I don't often hear elsewhere (totally subjective/my taste).

I sometimes throw in photos because I think some enjoy photos of people's gear. Since my own Hales L/C/R speakers are covered in black velvet I'm grabbing these from the net. The T1 speakers:

2kHSo6f__16437.1527883267.jpg

The Transcendeance Cinema Center is a BIG mother, very powerful yet delicate sounding, and I don't find the need for a subwoofer with this system (again, not mine, shots grabbed elsewhere):

989834-a5ec7fc7-hales-transcendencecinema-center-channel-speaker.jpg

989833-7171d0aa-hales-transcendencecinema-center-channel-speaker.jpg

All that said, I wouldn't project my mindset on to others. I don't think you need to think "two channels" first. You can be just as sucessful carefully purchasing a full
home theater speaker set up, or even a system just for surround music listening.

Second question is, is it really worth it to isolate stereo in terms of electronics or do you consider more worth it to have the capability integrated as with the use of an AVR/AVP?

That's entirely up to someone's own taste and goals.

I think for many it wouldn't be worth it to have two separate systems. Much easier with just one, and with a good AVR you should be able to do room correction to acheive excellent sound in stereo when you want it. (Mine sounds excellent in stereo too).

I think a lot of audiophiles believe that a home theater reciever and speakers can't compete with an "audiophile 2 channel system" and I think that's mostly nonsense. I think there are some practical advantages to 2 channel in some ways, in terms of speaker placement, but nothing that bars excellent performance using an AVR.

The only reason I have two systems is because I just have my own picky tastes. I like using tube amps - that wouldn't work for home theater. I like a sort of "separate music system" which does vinyl as well. And I want the most optimized two channel listening eperience I could manage in my room, and for me that means tower speakers that are not stuck in the corners for home theater duty as well, but which instead I can put out further in the room and dial them in separately for music.

I go back and forth and enjoy each system.

So, that's not a prescription for others; just a description of how I went about it for my own goals.

Cheers.

Platypus20

Forum Donor
1 - Benchmark for the music room system
2 - Benchmark for the dining room system
3 - PS Audio Lambda drive transports (dismal failures) and Ultra Link DAC (still have the DAC)

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
And just to be clear, I mention them sometimes simply in terms of how they hit my own particular pleasure buttons, which is not to say they are any better than some other ASR member's loudspeakers.

I have two different systems. The amplification and sources are down the hall in a separate room for both the two channel and home theater. The cabling for all that runs through walls/floors in to my listening/home theater room.

In the home theater/listening room, I have the two separate speakers systems: My two channel speakers (Josephs) which are pulled well out towards the listening sofa, and my surround system for my home theater. The HT speakers have the usual set up of the L/C/R speakers flanking the projection screen, and there are side and back channels for surround. I also listen to music on that system.

Occasionally I hook up the Joseph speakers to my home theater system (AVR), and sometimes I hook up my L/C home theater speakers to my 2 channel amps (tube) and sources. Sometimes I mix and match. Though mostly I listen to the systems separately.

Yes I'm of that mindset. I come from an audiophile-first mindset regarding loudspeakers - that any speaker I have in my room first must be very engaging with music on their own, so I'm a "music first" approach vs a "brute force what speakers do I need for home theater?" approach.

Along those lines I chose Hales Transcendance speakers for my L/C/R. They are a defunkt company now, but I owned their larger tower speakers and I'd just swoon at their timbral realism and smoothness, so I bought their top of the line stand mounts for my music listeninig for quite a while before they did HT duty, and then I got their big center channel to match. They match beautifully. And going with speakers that passed my most stringent "does it sound human/right" test with music paid off perfectly. For me there is a human "unmechanical" quality and timbral color to movie soundtracks on the system that I don't often hear elsewhere (totally subjective/my taste).

I sometimes throw in photos because I think some enjoy photos of people's gear. Since my own Hales L/C/R speakers are covered in black velvet I'm grabbing these from the net. The T1 speakers:

2kHSo6f__16437.1527883267.jpg

The Transcendeance Cinema Center is a BIG mother, very powerful yet delicate sounding, and I don't find the need for a subwoofer with this system (again, not mine, shots grabbed elsewhere):

989834-a5ec7fc7-hales-transcendencecinema-center-channel-speaker.jpg

989833-7171d0aa-hales-transcendencecinema-center-channel-speaker.jpg

All that said, I wouldn't project my mindset on to others. I don't think you need to think "two channels" first. You can be just as sucessful carefully purchasing a full
home theater speaker set up, or even a system just for surround music listening.

That's entirely up to someone's own taste and goals.

I think for many it wouldn't be worth it to have two separate systems. Much easier with just one, and with a good AVR you should be able to do room correction to acheive excellent sound in stereo when you want it. (Mine sounds excellent in stereo too).

I think a lot of audiophiles believe that a home theater reciever and speakers can't compete with an "audiophile 2 channel system" and I think that's mostly nonsense. I think there are some practical advantages to 2 channel in some ways, in terms of speaker placement, but nothing that bars excellent performance using an AVR.

The only reason I have two systems is because I just have my own picky tastes. I like using tube amps - that wouldn't work for home theater. I like a sort of "separate music system" which does vinyl as well. And I want the most optimized two channel listening eperience I could manage in my room, and for me that means tower speakers that are not stuck in the corners for home theater duty as well, but which instead I can put out further in the room and dial them in separately for music.

I go back and forth and enjoy each system.

So, that's not a prescription for others; just a description of how I went about it for my own goals.

Cheers.
Thanks Matt. I asked not as a guideline, but as an exercise in thought process. Tastes are mostly not rational, but the way to fulfill them typically is, and that is the interesting part.

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

Keith
Did you ever manage to sell those?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Eventually, packing and transporting them were a nightmare.
Keith

Top Bottom