• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What’s better: a “more-correct” reconstruction filter or THD vs. frequency performance?

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have the habit of choosing “brickwall” filters when setting up my DAC, but when looking at measurements, filters that are -100 dBFS at 22 kHz usually have worse THD vs. Freq performance than slower filters (the ones at -100 dBFS at 24 kHz). I think this is due to the wideband harmonic distortion that increases as you get to the transition band. But I still have the question of if having a better filter is the right choice versus the better harmonic distortion performance.

staticV3

Master Contributor
THD+N vs Frequency is identical across all filters with bandwidth limited to 20kHz:
All-THDN-Ratio.jpg

The funky behavior that some oversampling filters have only materializes when sampling to 90k

Top Bottom