• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage with Audiophonics HPA-S250NC first REW meauserements

OP
PeterNL

PeterNL

Little update, all panels are already hanging on the walls (2x GIK 244 front walls, behind the speakers, 1x GIK mega bass trap on the left wall close to the speaker and 2x GIK 244 on rear wall corners).
I feel a big sound improvement, better clarity, more details, tighter bass, wider soundstage, just overall sound is much better than before.
FR still does not look very good comparing to the previous measurements, but then speakers were pushed max to the front wall and now I had to move them little bit away to fit panels.
Can You see any improvements looking at graphs (mdat attached) ?
Within next days I will remeasure and apply new Dirac correction.

treated vs untreated LEFT.jpg

treated vs untreated RIGHT.jpg

Attachments

• Treated room.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 35

palm

Is it practical for you to place an absorber on your back wall?
The very strong 2.5ms reflection (previous ETC) is common to both channels and could come from the naked wall behind the microphone - is it about 42cm away?
Nice setup!

Last edited:
OP
PeterNL

PeterNL

Is it practical for you to place an absorber on your back wall?
The very strong 2.5ms reflection is common to both channels and could come from the naked wall behind the microphone - is it about 42cm away?
I will think about it and yes mic was about 42cm from the naked wall. Thanks for your advice.

OP
PeterNL

PeterNL

Here new measurements before and after using Dirac Room Correction (made many presets, different house curves). What do You think ?
I like how it sounds, much better than before Dirac correction, I think that clarity and also other parameters have improved, not sure about distortion and RT60. I have also made different Dirac presets based on different house curves and slopes.
Mdat file attached, so please look at this. Any comment and advice will be appreciated. I feel like I am almost there :)
Treated room=Blue   Treated+Dirac=Red LEFT.jpg
Treated room=Green  Treated+Dirac=Red Right Channel.jpg
Treated room=yellow   Treated+Dirac=Blue  Both channels.jpg
ETC Treated room=blue  Treated+Dirac=Red Left channel.jpg
ETC Treated room=Green Treated+Dirac=Red R channel.jpg

Attachments

• Dirac +10dB -2.5dB GIK NEW.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 26
  • 1696691076952.jpg
    1696691076952.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 63

raindance

Major Contributor
It still looks terribly bright but with a large bass boost to offset that. In my opinion, if the seating position has to be against the rear wall, then I'd move the speakers well out from the front wall. But that's just my opinion (and what I do to avoid thuddy bass and improve mid and upper bass). My approach would be to get the system as listenable as possible before eq.

Blocking the ports also can help hugely with this type of seating arrangement.

The GIK bass traps will do very little to the freq response graph, but will tame reverberation times in the range that they are effective (which will not be low bass).

OP
PeterNL

PeterNL

It still looks terribly bright but with a large bass boost to offset that. In my opinion, if the seating position has to be against the rear wall, then I'd move the speakers well out from the front wall. But that's just my opinion (and what I do to avoid thuddy bass and improve mid and upper bass). My approach would be to get the system as listenable as possible before eq.

The GIK bass traps will do very little to the freq response graph, but will tame reverberation times in the range that they are effective (which will not be low bass).
Thank You. Have you seen previous graphs ?
It is not bright now to my ears. Moving the speakers is no go for me, because I would have to move them approximately 1,2 meter away from the front wall.

OP
PeterNL

PeterNL

I can see a bit of difference in FR with and without basstraps. I can hear it too.
I don't think +6 -6dB sounds too bright for me. Have also made more presets like +6dB till -6dB 1dB/octave and it sounds also good but little bit high shy for me.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Dirac +6dB till -6dB curve looks like that:
View attachment 317326View attachment 317328

The time domain performance is improved a little bit... which is expected:

PETE5.png PETE6.png PETE7.png PETE8.png PETE1.png PETE2.png PETE3.png PETE4.png

The mids below 500 Hz is somewhat scooped at the beginning (so the "transition zone" transient response is less than ideal). However, the remaining stored/reflected delayed energy arriving at the MLP somehow manages to even out a little better in the late response.

OP
PeterNL

PeterNL

The time domain performance is improved a little bit... which is expected:

View attachment 317455 View attachment 317456 View attachment 317457 View attachment 317458 View attachment 317451 View attachment 317452 View attachment 317453 View attachment 317454

The mids below 500 Hz is somewhat scooped at the beginning (so the "transition zone" transient response is less than ideal). However, the remaining stored/reflected delayed energy arriving at the MLP somehow manages to even out a little better in the late response.

Thank You ernestcarl for Your response.
I think that I will stay with this settings, while I really like how it sounds now and don't see much more possibilities to improve sound even more. My room is just too ****** to make it perfect (L shape, sofa against rear wall etc.) but again, I am happy with the results I could achieve adding few GIK panels and re adjusting Dirac room corrections (still will be searching for the perfect house curve and slope).

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Thank You ernestcarl for Your response.
I think that I will stay with this settings, while I really like how it sounds now and don't see much more possibilities to improve sound even more. My room is just too ****** to make it perfect (L shape, sofa against rear wall etc.) but again, I am happy with the results I could achieve adding few GIK panels and re adjusting Dirac room corrections (still will be searching for the perfect house curve and slope).

Just keep one or two extra presets if possible — e.g. bass shelving -2dB and HF shelving -1dB etc. Recordings are so variable that even I adjust my settings on the fly after having done a gazillion “best EQ” curve calibrations.

OP
PeterNL

PeterNL

Just keep one or two extra presets if possible — e.g. bass shelving -2dB and HF shelving -1dB etc. Recordings are so variable that even I adjust my settings on the fly after having done a gazillion “best EQ” curve calibrations.

6 presets which I use.
Harman +10dB -2.5dB use frequently in the evening or late night.
Rest of de presets just during the day and with much higher volume levels.
+6dB to -6dB 1dB/oct is just standard Harman bass boost curve +6dB but customized manually to have 1dB/octave slope beginning from 1kHz.

Attachments

• 1696776939738.jpg
    1696776939738.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
OP
PeterNL

PeterNL

+6dB to -6dB 1dB/oct looks not bad for me (+/-1200€ setup) in REW:
abcd.jpg

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor
It looks pretty good now actually - I would still personally want to add a little more droop between 500Hz and 13K, but that is just my preference.

OP
PeterNL

PeterNL

Today measured using Moving Mic Method (measured at 75dB SPL but forgot to adjust RTA levels):

MMM Right and Left.jpg

I find little bit strange that dip 200Hz-600Hz is no more visible. What do You think guys ? Is MMM more accurate vs single point ?

Last edited:

palm

I find little bit strange that dip 200Hz-600Hz is no more visible. What do You think guys ? Is MMM more accurate vs single point ?
Don’t you see similar variations in this frequency band with sweeps within the same location as the MMM ?

My listening position isn’t close to the back wall, but I imagine any small displacement vs this reflection can change quite a lot the response

Top Bottom