• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Were money and space no object what would be your dream speakers?

carewser

If you had unlimited funds and could build a room just for listening which speakers would you choose? I have three dream pairs. The Focal Grande Utopia because I think they're the world's greatest speakers (and they're from France of all places!) I'd also love to have a pair of Magnepan 30.7's because I also think they would sound incredible and yet different from conventional speakers and finally a pair of good old Bose 901's because I think they're the most interesting speakers ever made. I actually had a pair of Bose 301's a long time ago but I never set them up properly to ever hear them do their whole "direct/reflecting" thing

facefirst

Sonus Faber Amati Futura in graphite please!

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In such a fantasy scenario I guess I'd cycle through a number of different options. If money were no object selling at a loss to move on to something different wouldn't bother me.

Reactions: Zvu

jonfitch

TAD CR1 but I can't ever imagine using bookshelf speakers that big.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If money and space would be no problem. I see no reason why just one pair of speakers should fit to all my requierements.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Heck, I really enjoy these "What if" sort of threads.

Of hand if I were looking for a speaker for my stereo system to fit into a small-medium sized room such as what I'm stuck with, I'd look at Wilson Audio model. My room could handle any other their really gigantic modes such as the WAMM. I need to take it down a few notches, so maybe the Sasha DAW.

1219wilson.promo_.jpg

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably custom commissioned.

I love the looks of say Sonus Faber, but their measured performance is just so-so from what I’ve seen. Focal looks pretty good and has usually good measurements, not a total fan of the segmented look though (but the ones that allow you to tilt the segments for listening distance is neat).

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Altec A5 with 1505 horns/Altec 288 treble drivers and Jean Hiraga's crossover design.
I have heard better, but only at far greater total cost of entry.

Gary Kaufman's A5s.jpg

These are Gary Kaufman's (complete with a split Altec 210 cabinet forming twin "subwoofers").
www.the-planet.org

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yes with unlimited funds and space you could just pay Neil Young to live in a caravan at the end of your drive.

What if you want to listen to something by someone who's dead though?

Top Bottom