• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Were money and space no object what would be your dream speakers?

dfuller

Major Contributor

dfuller

Major Contributor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In such a fantasy scenario I guess I'd cycle through a number of different options. If money were no object selling at a loss to move on to something different wouldn't bother me.

You could build a large circular house with each room shaped like a large truncated pie slice, each room having different speakers

Helicopter

Major Contributor
You could build a large circular house with each room shaped like a large truncated pie slice, each room having different speakers
I like it. Maybe just add a level, perhaps underground, with a rotating cylinder in 8 pie slices, a lift, staircase, and listening room in each... with 100V, 120V, and 220V receptacles. :cool:

Semla

DIY, no parallel surfaces anywhere:

barbapapa05.jpg

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Altec A5 with 1505 horns/Altec 288 treble drivers and Jean Hiraga's crossover design.
I have heard better, but only at far greater total cost of entry.

Now to find the lowest output tube amp the size of a Hibachi to drive them...*woof* that'll take the crease out of your trousers.

OP
carewser

carewser

If money and space would be no problem. I see no reason why just one pair of speakers should fit to all my requierements.

That's why I chose 3
Altec A5 with 1505 horns/Altec 288 treble drivers and Jean Hiraga's crossover design.
I have heard better, but only at far greater total cost of entry.
Remember I said money is no object so pick something even better
Off hand if I were looking for a speaker for my stereo system to fit into a small-medium sized room such as what I'm stuck with.....
You're not stuck with anything, space is no object, like I said

Last edited:

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I own it, but no room at the moment…essentially Levinson HQD; STACKED Quad 57’s, custom subs x 2 with Benchmark electronics and
Room Perfect compensation. Had to downsize music room and not enough space. Went from 5,000 sf house to 2500 sf.

I hope one day to have room again.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Mine
I’d use the rest of the money to live well and do some good

Lambda

Major Contributor

And walls of those for my home cinema.
20210505112428_Holoplot-X1-MatrixArrayFrontWeb.jpg

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I think I would go with Martin Logan es15's or something, based on my memory. Sure not as ugly as post 16. So many high end try to make a statement ( Wilson included) instead of sound that I would not like to look at in my room. Maybe something like a Vanderstein Quatro. I doubt they would make a bad speaker. I heard the Sahah, seemed OK I guess. Not inspiring. Big and ugly I think.

BenB

Why would anyone with unlimited funds settle for something off the shelf?
Seriously. I already built the best speaker (for my space) I knew how using off-the-shelf drivers. If money were no object, I'd commission new drivers to be built, and work with a team of engineers to design them. First and foremost I need a side-by-side double ribbon: one 60 mm tall, and the other 180-200 mm tall.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know whether I'd choose the big MBL Radialstrahlers, but I'd sure audition them. Along with KEF Reference and Revel Ultima Salons and F328Bes. And maybe the TuneTots. :cool:

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The best sounding system I ever heard was a pair of the original Revel Salons driven by Mark Levinson monoblocks, so I'd go with the Salon 2s plus 4x ML536 and an ML519 preamp, with a custom silent PC for source, in a custom built and treated room that also doubled as my library, as I enjoy being surrounded by books. There would be a single very comfortable chair with ottoman as the sole listening position. After having lived in developing nations for 20 years, I just couldn't spend much more than that without feeling I was being incredibly wasteful with my money, even if I was richer than Jeff Bezos. I'd also have a separate multichannel media room for the whole family.

sweetsounds

If I had to choose, I would rather build (again) a better room.

There are many great speakers (Magico, Wilson, Revel, Genelec, Geithain, Vivid, Kii, ...) which measure reasonably flat. Yet, their interaction with the room is quite different. So you need to construct a room, where you can position the speaker rightly.

True, we hear a lot of direct sound. If this was the only thing, meanwhile many speakers should sound the same (Revel Salon 2 was leading the pack 10 years ago).
Next criteria is distortion of the casing (Magico M/S brought the next level), and then the room interaction (here concepts of Beolab/Kii/D&D 8C might ease things).

But for optimizing room modes and reflections, a great room goes a long way! It makes listening less stressful. And it gives you freedom to position your speakers.

For choosing speakers:
A critical factor is also linear sound pressure vs signal level with low distortion (ie double the amplitude when signal doubles). To me electrostats don't do this well for loud passages.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Read my signature. I am lucky enough to have a large budget and those are what I chose. Both rooms are acoustically treated by professional.

Top Bottom