• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

mdunjic

Hi
I am Milos from Toronto in Canada. I have electronics engineering / computer science background, with long interests in home audio

I have Quad based systems (for over a decade)

Main system
——————
Quad CDP-2 as DAC
MyTek Liberty THX AAA 888 based HPA as my pre-amp (not much use as headphone amp)
2 x Quad 909 power amps bi-amping my Neat Acoustics Motive 1 speakers
Roon Core runs on my dedicated Windows 11 laptop (16Gb RAM, 1TB SD card), with about 1000 ripped CD albums in WAV/AIFF/FLAC format

Living room TV setup
—————————-
TV cable box
Apple TV
Beresford TC-7510 DAC
Quad 34 pre-amp
Quad 306 power amp
Monitor Audio R90 bookshelf speakers

This forum caught my attention for it is 100% BS-free and honest. Follow Amir’s YouTube channel also.

Hope everyone is enjoying music as much as I do
Cheers!

Attachments

• 98A9EDE7-C861-4C16-91BF-B3ED6DCB02EE.jpeg
    98A9EDE7-C861-4C16-91BF-B3ED6DCB02EE.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 01DDCECD-AEFE-4455-9E0C-B510F57F5DC5.jpeg
    01DDCECD-AEFE-4455-9E0C-B510F57F5DC5.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 114

AbidingDude

Good Morning from Southern California.

I have been reading reviews from Amir and company for a while now and I really have say thanks because I learned a lot. Love the focus on objective measurement, even if it doesn't always account for the subjective experience of the end-user/psychoacoustics. I am currently piecing together for the first time a truly dedicated two channel system and I finally registered so I could post a thread about some of the DIY Class D amplifiers/Vendors who sell them built (like the Purifi 1ET400A, Hypex Ncore, etc.). I already have a 9.2 ch system centered around a Denon AVR-X4700H, Dual SVS PB-2000 Pro, and the 9 channels are all from a discontinued line of PSB speakers I fell in love with when I got my first pre-pro/amp setup back in 2012 (the pre-pro was a used Onkyo I got for a steal that eventually slowly died due to the HDMI board issue they had back then). I bought a center and the front two channels to start, then I slowly added more channels as I found used pairs show up on eBay and Audiogon over the years.

I like technology in general, I "grew up" building my own PCs, I had to rebuild the engine in my first car since my parents couldn't afford to help me purchase a newer one. This is my biggest complaint with newer vehicles while not impossible, they're a lot less user serviceable than vehicles pre-2012. It was my interest in video gaming, building hot rods/frankensteins (I don't know what you'd call them, I've done the typical 90s Hondas, Mazdas, Nissans, but also messed around with Ford/Chevy big iron-- sometimes I mixed the two: I had built a Datsun 240Z that I eventually swapped a V8 when I got tired of the Inline 6 stroker I had built) and going to shows/concerts that eventually lead me to being interested in high fidelity audio. I've done a number of car stereo systems, which are difficult to get to the level of fidelity that you can get from home systems, but the technology gets better all the time-- that lead me to companies like Focal and down the path to websites like this one.

I recently became a father, so I look forward to being able to teach my children the joys of tinkering with stuff and exploring the world with their hands.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had built a Datsun 240Z that I eventually swapped a V8 when I got tired of the Inline 6 stroker I had built)
Wowowow. My buddy had a straight 6, 240Z with 3 side draft weber carbs and built up engine. It accelerated to about 150mph+ very very fast if not violently. I can only imagine what a V8 in a 240Z would be like. Welcome to ASR ;)

AbidingDude

Wowowow. My buddy had a straight 6, 240Z with 3 side draft weber carbs and built up engine. It accelerated to about 150mph+ very very fast if not violently. I can only imagine what a V8 in a 240Z would be like. Welcome to ASR ;)
Yeah, I had the same setup basically, except I had dropped the original four speed for a five speed from a later Nissan 240SX, and I had the L6 bored and stroked to 3.1L (2.8 block, diesel 810/Maxima crank, L24 rods, 240Sx pistons). I also had triple 40 DCOE side drafts, they were the Dellortos based on the Weber design (I had webers but they were busted when I bought the engine and the dellortos were cheaper than sourcing a weber rebuild kit), I had also done a bunch of headwork and had custom ground camshaft, steel valves and hardened seats, etc.

I had that car for several years and it seemed like each year or so I would redesign it, eventually it ended up with frame rail reinforcements which tied the front and rear unibody substructures together, along with a weld-in roll cage that connected the front strut towers, firewall, and rear strut towers together into one structure, a fuel injected chevy v8 with a tremec T6060 (the corvette 6 speed) transmission, and the rear differential from an Infinity Q45. My last step was going to be to replace the fuel tank, since I had limited range with the fuel demands of the new engine, and the return line needed to be rebrazed as it leaked from the bottom of the tank--- but a friend of mine bought it from me before I got around to it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I had the same setup basically, except I had dropped the original four speed for a five speed from a later Nissan 240SX, and I had the L6 bored and stroked to 3.1L (2.8 block, diesel 810/Maxima crank, L24 rods, 240Sx pistons). I also had triple 40 DCOE side drafts, they were the Dellortos based on the Weber design (I had webers but they were busted when I bought the engine and the dellortos were cheaper than sourcing a weber rebuild kit), I had also done a bunch of headwork and had custom ground camshaft, steel valves and hardened seats, etc.

I had that car for several years and it seemed like each year or so I would redesign it, eventually it ended up with frame rail reinforcements which tied the front and rear unibody substructures together, along with a weld-in roll cage that connected the front strut towers, firewall, and rear strut towers together into one structure, a fuel injected chevy v8 with a tremec T6060 (the corvette 6 speed) transmission, and the rear differential from an Infinity Q45. My last step was going to be to replace the fuel tank, since I had limited range with the fuel demands of the new engine, and the return line needed to be rebrazed as it leaked from the bottom of the tank--- but a friend of mine bought it from me before I got around to it.
Hehe. The joys of building a virtual race car. It sounds similar to my buddy's car. 300Z rear end (If memory serves me correct), 5 speed from a later Z series car, stripped car to save weight and a full roll cage with 5 point harnesses. Those harnesses where essential gear in that car. I've been in some pretty fun muscle cars but that 240Z was the most wicked ride to date.

Strumbringer

Hello everyone! Just joined the forum and look forward to reading, learning, and discussing all things audio. I'm a former professional musician turned research scientist. I'm relatively new to the high-end audio world, but have tons of experience in playing live, studio work, and pro audio in the musician world. My rookie modest headphone set up just got established a few months ago, and consists of ZMF Auteur, RME ADI2 DAC, and the Bottlehead Crack w/ NOS tubes. I listen to a lot of rock, mostly prog. I'm hoping to explore other headphones as a future purchase and am currently drawn to the Focal Utopia (loved the sound, didn't care for the price tag) and/or HD800S.

TinFoilCap

Hello all. Short time stalker/lurker of ASR and other audio forums. Decided it was time to join. I'm a former electronics technician turned electrical engineer. I have always had a passion for music; growing up on 90s rock, metal, and grunge but my musical tastes have become more broad with time.

Before real life, I worked at my father's mechanic shop doing general repair and also classic car restorations (American Muscle Cars). I started installing audio systems for customers and eventually did that professionally for a few years. I competed in SPL IASCA Bass Boxing audio competitions and won 2 titles ~152dB with 2 10" subwoofers and 7.5kW amplifier.

Now that I am a dad of one and soon to be two, my audio hobby has toned down to headphones and home theater. I am just now getting started!

Current Equipment:
Sony WH1000MX4
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro
Hifiman Sundara
Using phone w/wavelet or laptop w/equalizer apo + peace as DAC
DIY Pass Whammy Amp

For HT:
Some old Sony towers and an old Yamaha 6.1 AVR.

Looking forward to future discussions with you all!

Steve.

Feels like it's been ten years since I've participated in a forum, so Hello! Glad to see some other Aussies on here. I'm actually an Aussie living in Brooklyn, NY and I've been relying on ASR for budget component reviews. My current setup is as follows:
  • Speakers: Klipsch RP-8000F
    • Upgraded from the RP-600M last year after I couldn't find an appropriate cabinet sized solution for my apt and seeing the black friday deals
    • Sound is a huge step up from the 600Ms and also motivated me to get rid of a sub-par sub.
  • AMP: Loxjie A30
    • Amir's review convinced me this would be a step up from the SMSL AD18 and it proved to be so. I will say I'm having second thoughts about the USB input but seeing how that goes.
  • Turntable: Audio Technica AT-LP120X with AT-VM95ML Cartridge
    • Happy with the general performance of this, and the Micro Linear cartridge has helped with some shoddy pressings by Khrungbin / Dead Oceans
  • Phonopreamp: Fosi Phono Box 4 with Tube Buffer
    • A cheap tube buffer with.. tone controls! Better than the built in AT phono preamp.
  • Sources: iPad via USB, Chromecast Audio via Toslink
    • Mostly CCA but enjoying playing radio and such from the iPad.
Speakers below in their apartment friendly position, with the potential to move and be spaced out for more serious listening sessions (when the wife is out of town)

269965173_10158378696327385_3146645466893038537_n.jpeg

Mr. Afternoon

Hey, just joined! Been a lurker for a bit now. I heard about ASR from the guys over at QQ. Obviously, I love audio, that's why I'm here. Sometimes I have normal takes, and other times I have the worst audiophile takes known to man. I recently started making music, that too in surround sound, so that has been a fun experience! Looking forward to having fun here!

da1duc

Derek here. From Denver area.

Been wanting to build a theater for 20+ years. Finally had the chance to do it (TY COVID).

Background as an Electrical and Computer engineer. In management now, sigh...

hilow

Hi Forum,

I'm from Germany and just joined to once again spend some money on audio equipment ;)

Home office has changed my setup for computer use quite a bit and it is time to finally do it properly (see here). My temporary setup works, but I want to merge this with my interest in audio as a hobby again. Also, the home theater side is still in hibernation (small kids/WAF restrictions) and listening to music is mostly happening with headphones. Time to update my equipment...

Also, I just enjoy the measurements discussed here a lot. As an electrical engineer I never liked the voodoo side of audio.

Khelek

Hello !

I'm from France. My technical knowledge as far as audio equipment is concerned is (sadly) inversely proportional to my desire to stop wasting my money on things that are not properly designed.

Before finding this forum, I already made a few "investment" mistakes of course... I will describe them in the appropriate post and I will have a few questions also. But I also avoided a 1900$ mistake thanks to Amir testing of Hegel H95 ! So I guess I already owe him very warm thanks !

Rob63

Hi,

I'm Rob from SE Virginia. Have been reading the forum with interest for a while and have learned a lot. I'm a music junkie and recent home theater convert. Looking forward to participating in the forum.

Top Bottom