• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

DerickHarlin

Hi,

i have been a silent reader for quite some time and found that it was time now to dive into the discussions myself. I live in germany and have a scientific background in the field of hearing and acoustics.
I started my journey as an audiophile with some decent passive hifi speakers which i thought were superb back then. ;D Looking back i have to say that there were two major encounters that had a huge impact on me:
- Listening to loudspeakers with a smooth directivity for the first time. This happended in the form of Neumann KH 120 at a friends house.
- reading the book "Sound Reproduction" by Floyd Toole
I got rid of my passive speakers and replaced them with a set of seven JBL LSR 305 which i still have today but unfortunately i can not install the speakers and my home cinema equipment because don't have room for that in my current flat.
That is why i am focusing on upgrading my stereo speakers in the living room right now. I plan to support them with subwoofers in the lowest octaves and use an active room mode damping to smoothen out the response on my listening position.

I am so glad that i found this forum and all the useful information it provides. Big thanks to Amir and the rest of you guys for making this happen!

Adaboy4z

Howdy all. I've posted a few times already and just found this thread. I've always loved audio ever since dad would play music on Saturday mornings on his reel to reel. As a student in college back in the early 90s I would read Stereo Review magazine in the library and drool over pictures. Years later I'm finally purchasing some good quality audio equipment. Kids and life put it on hold a long time. I'm a native Texan and I love BASS!!

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all, good morning from Scotland. Loving the forum ... and learning!
I have a modest hifi; starting to think about improvements after a long fallow period (kids and life have a dizzying effect on these sort of priorities!). Been interested in hifi as a hobby for decades, and astounded by music for decades more.
I do have / had audiophile leanings; full disclosure, just clearing the air.

I found you after I bought a Rega Io integrated amp and saw your review shredding it!!
When the outrage subsided and I could think again ... I read more, read better and became interested.

Fascinated by cognitive bias, convinced by good design and engineering.
Big question for me is how to spend upgrade money wisely when there is so little consensus between sites like this and the 'old school'. Not a pr

Eytsch

Long time lurker, audio enhusiast with moderate needs but much deeper curiosity, believer in objective measurements, amateur musician, engineer (for bonus points I was once on @amirm 's team working on audio formats and streaming sw, not that he would remember me :) ).

I've always had quite a few topic in my mind to discuss on the forums (which I might start posting about). But I have to say, what got me over the edge to register an account was an irresistible urge to upvote @beefkabob 's excellent CyberShaft piece from a few days ago.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

Patrick from Albuquerque here. I’m really loving all the information and discussion on the sight’

I’m an artist who teaches photography and occasionally builds sound installations so it it all great info and perspectives to me.

Anyone know a good place in ABQ to try out some of the more expensive equipment discussed here?

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Patrick from Albuquerque here.
Did someone forget to turn left? :cool:

bugs-bunny-albuquerque.gif

Nah just joking Patrick, welcome to ASR. :D

JSmith

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I forgot to turn at all.

decomo

Greetings from down under...

I read many reviews posted in this forum for several years now but have not registered or participated in the forum.

Forum threads and Reviews here are very informative and helpful indeed. Look forward to participating and learning from experienced members here. To be honest, I do not know how to interpret measurement so it was always intriguing to see all those measurements graphs posted review section. I usually read Conclusion posted by Amirm at the end of reviews.

Great Egret

Hi everyone, i'm from The Netherlands.
Been into hifi as a hobby for years and my setup is a Hegel360, with KEF the reference 3's and a selfmade PC as source. I'm not into surround, just stereo for music.
I do have one sin to admit, (according to a lot of people on this forum that is :p ). My speakercable is from crystal cable and expensive, but, to make up for it..... It's 2mm thin and has no shielding.
I have a Topping D30pro on the way, to see if it will be better then the DAC in the H360.

D

Deleted member 43441

Hello! I did not see this before I introduced myself in a different thread. Anyway it’s nice to meet you all,and my name is John

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello GE - we'll forgive you the cables as long as you don't try to convince us they "lift veils" :D

JohnV - welcome.

Waxx

Major Contributor
As everybody here is introducing themselves, i should maybe also do this. I'm from Belgium, music and audiofreak since very logtime (as kid), history in sound egineering, music production, and as dj and radiotech/host/editor.

I'm a subjectivist to many here, altough i prefer to measure my subjectivity than to guess, and i'm here because you also like to measure (we dissagree on interpretations sometimes, not on measurements). And i'm allergic to snake oil expensive stuff. If you can't measure it it's bullshit for me. I'm also into diy, a lot of my equipmen (especially speakers) are diy in, design and/or execution.

That said, i have tube and class A amps, fullrange speakers and a huge vinyl collection. And yes, i like the coloured sound of that. But don't stop measuring and judging on numbers please, and get what you like based on measurements. That is the strong point of this site and even for me, who like harmonic distortion and so very usefull information and it should happen more.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Watcha** Waxx

**"Watcha" is a greeting in some southern parts of England, similar to "Hi"

D

Deleted member 43441

Hello GE - we'll forgive you the cables as long as you don't try to convince us they "lift veils" :D

JohnV - welcome.
Watcha** Waxx

**"Watcha" is a greeting in some southern parts of England, similar to "Hi"
Well Watcha back at you! My mother-in-law is from the UK.

Don’t worry I’m not a Cable believer, once in a while it’s nice to have a little bit of bling, but I don’t pay very much for mine. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Top Bottom