• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weird problem with Oppo 203 - power cycles at random

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last night while listening to a CD my Oppo 203 suddenly and without prompting ceased playback and powered itself off. Pressing the power button (once) resulted in a full on/off power cycle. Another press of the power button cycled the unit on, whereupon it agreed to resume playing the CD. However, this lasted only a song or two before it powered off again.

Nothing has changed in the setup or the surge protector. The other devices plugged in to the same surge protector (Denon and Rotel) suffered no issues whatsoever.

The Oppo was manufactured in Dec 2017 and is running the latest firmware.

Any ideas among the ASR group as to what the problem could be? The unit was purchased second hand about 18 months at quite a premium so I'd be pretty bummed if it's a lemon.

All suggestions are welcome!

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
The Oppo was at it again yesterday. Although not in use I noticed it was randomly on or off while I was watching the boxing match last night. Again, no interruption to functioning of the Denon or Rotel which were delivering the TV sound through the speakers. Very perplexing.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Sounds like some sort of power supply issue, possibly no more than a bad solder joint somewhere (but potentially a degraded semiconductor component as well). Everything that gets hot would need to be inspected, notably rectifier diodes and voltage regulators. If you are not comfortable working on switch-mode supplies, consult someone who is.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like some sort of power supply issue, possibly no more than a bad solder joint somewhere (but potentially a degraded semiconductor component as well). Everything that gets hot would need to be inspected, notably rectifier diodes and voltage regulators. If you are not comfortable working on switch-mode supplies, consult someone who is.
The capacitors in SMPS get intermittent too. It's very common for them to have a intermittent thermal issue in SMPS. :D

Gregss

Hello,
Have not ever had an OPPO unit, but if you haven't tried it yet, would find out how to do a hardware reset back to the factory settings. Software can get buggered up and give all kinds of weird symptoms. If it helps, then likely would have to do a firmware update to get the latest installed.

Just something else to try before getting into the hardware and troubleshooting mode.

Regards,
Greg

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Thanks, all, for the thoughts and suggestions, they're very much appreciated.

After I work through the issue perhaps I'll post an update for documentation purposes in hopes of aiding anyone suffering a similar problem in the future.

Thanks again!

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
So this ended up having an unexpected outcome. Removing the Oppo from the trigger signal chain remedied the problem. The sequence had been Denon>Rotel>Oppo>SVS sub. Removing the Oppo ended the random power cycling and no problems presented between the Rotel and the SVS.

Reintroducing the Oppo (same place in the sequnce) with a new 3.5mm cable brought the problem on again. So now it is permanently out of the trigger sequence which is only the tiniest annoyance.

Hopefully nothing else goes wrong.

RF Air

Forum Donor
Thank you @GD Fan for this information. I own an Oppo BDP-105 that I have used for several years with great results. I just purchased a UDP-203 and will be setting it up next week, this will help me with the run-up and testing of this used unit purchase.

Top Bottom