• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weird Cars Thread

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Packard Hawk 1958

The front "eyes" (lights) and "teeth" (bumper) remind me a cartoon

1617321418255.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Packard Hawk 1958

The front "eyes" (lights) and "teeth" (bumper) remind me a cartoon

View attachment 121528
It is a Studebaker Hawk.

This grew out of what I thought was an attractive car in the 1953 Studebaker Starliner Coupe designed by Raymond Loewy. The Hawk is sort of that car with then fashionable tail fins and the pointy rocket like bumpers which also were fashionable in the late 1950's.

1617323206824.png

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a Studebaker Hawk.

This grew out of what I thought was an attractive car in the 1953 Studebaker Starliner Coupe designed by Raymond Loewy. The Hawk is sort of that car with then fashionable tail fins and the pointy rocket like bumpers which also were fashionable in the late 1950's.

Raymond Loewy was one of my favourite designers and did great ad's

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Studebaker made and sold some remarkable and nigh-on revolutionarily styled vehicles -- the Avanti (1963) being my personal fave.
Even after the demise of the Studebaker brand in the US, the Avanti lived on for quite a while.

I think Studebakers have gotten some airplay in this thread already, but I am happy to do another shout-out and get an excuse to post an image of one.

1617323722094.png

As a postscript, the is a nice looking, restored Hawk that lives in our town (or maybe the next town over)... I don't think I have a photo of it, though (but I will check!).

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Studebaker made and sold some remarkable and nigh-on revolutionarily styled vehicles -- the Avanti (1963) being my personal fave.
Even after the demise of the Studebaker brand in the US, the Avanti lived on for quite a while.

I think Studebakers have gotten some airplay in this thread already, but I am happy to do another shout-out and get an excuse to post an image of one.

View attachment 121533

As a postscript, the is a nice looking, restored Hawk that lives in our town (or maybe the next town over)... I don't think I have a photo of it, though (but I will check!).

If I'm not mistaken, the Avanti was designed by Raymond Loewy ?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has someone been mirroring photos, or do they build both 'handed' versions?

Nissan did build handed versions. One for domestic and other RHD markets and another for the US and other LHD markets. Tooling must have been expensive.

Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Love the Studebaker Hawk and Avanti. I had to scroll through the thread to make sure nobody posted my absolutely favorite weird car, the Citroen SM:
1972-Citroen-SM-front-three-quarter.jpg

I had the opportunity to drive one owned by a Citroen mechanic once and it drove like nothing else. I would love to own one.

Martin

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Love the Studebaker Hawk and Avanti. I had to scroll through the thread to make sure nobody posted my absolutely favorite weird car, the Citroen SM:
1972-Citroen-SM-front-three-quarter.jpg

I had the opportunity to drive one owned by a Citroen mechanic once and it drove like nothing else. I would love to own one.

Martin
Never had the pleasure to drive one, but have ridden in a few that were taxis in France. Definitely a different kind of ride to them.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jay Leno's Garage has a good Youtube on the very interesting SM.

also, there's this
<iframe width="1286" height="510" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Is this legal ? :oops:

EV SUV<< >> 830-horsepower
Sounds like distorting the essence of EV :facepalm:
In a country where rolling coal is legal why wouldn't it be?

I guess it depends what you think the essence of EV is. Is it something super-efficient like the Aptera (which started out with an ICE)?
21089468lpw-21089469-article-jpg_7561181_540x282.jpg

VW going out breaking lap records with the iD.R?
Volkswagen-ID-R-testing.jpg

Or just electric versions of what's come before, which seems to be what most of the major manufacturers are doing. In most of its civilian uses the Hummer was unnecessary and inefficient, so continuing the tradition in an electric version isn't much of a surprise. Tesla's 'ludicrous mode' power output isn't far off that, in an outwardly more sensible vehicle.

Top Bottom