• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weiliang/BRZHiFi Linear USB power supply questions

Norville

I just ordered a cheap linear PSU from Aliexpress:

But I can't find any info anywhere if it can actually power 3 or at least 2 USB devices at the same time. I'm looking to power my Raspberry Pi 3 and a Topping E50 simultaneously.
Have asked the seller the same question but no reply so far. Does anyone have experience with this PSU and can tell if it indeed powers more than one device at the same time?

Scebf80613b7c4fc2a9bd6d0a2a9c9e58x.jpg

Sokel

Master Contributor
LT1086 goes for 2A current (the original at least) so yes,it should power more than one just fine.

Edit: no certifications I can see,be cautious with that thing.

OP
Norville

Norville

LT1086 goes for 2A current (the original at least) so yes,it should power more than one just fine.

Great. The only question is if it will power the E50 and the RPI3 at the same time. Hopefully it will. Any thoughts on that? RPI3 wants 2.5A...

OP
Norville

Norville

Yes, I will keep a good eye on it. These things always makes me a bit cautious, but it seems built well enough.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I will keep a good eye on it. These things always makes me a bit cautious, but it seems built well enough.
Number of devices is not the point. Total combined current is. Your PSU can output a maximum of 2.5A - so you can power as many devices as you like as long as the total current consumption is less than that.

Probably worth pointing out that the Pi 3B is stated to need 2.5A on it's own - though some of this is for it's own USB ports - so if you are not using those, it will not need so much.

Personally though I'd suggest using the OEM power supply for the Pi. And for the DAC. There is no benefit to using after market linear PSU's if the kit they are driving is correctly designed.

EDIT - the DAC is specified as needing 1A

Last edited:
OP
Norville

Norville

Number of devices is not the point. Total combined current is. Your PSU can output a maximum of 2.5A - so you can power as many devices as you like as long as the total current consumption is less than that.

Probably worth pointing out that the Pi 3B is stated to need 2.5A on it's own - though some of this is for it's own USB ports - so if you are not using those, it will not need so much.

Personally though I'd suggest using the OEM power supply for the Pi. And for the DAC. There is no benefit to using after market linear PSU's if the kit they are driving is correctly designed.
I'm going to use the Pi 3 as the streamer for the DAC so I'm going to use one of the USB-ports. I was going to buy some USB power supply for the DAC anyway since it doesn't come with one, so I figured I might as well try a cheap linear power supply to power both the DAC and the Pi. I have tried linear power supplies before like sBooster and Keces P3 and honestly, I don't think they made much difference but somehow it just feels better than using a generic wall wart. The cost was 50 USD shipped and for that price it will be at least fun to try.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going to use the Pi 3 as the streamer for the DAC so I'm going to use one of the USB-ports. I was going to buy some USB power supply for the DAC anyway since it doesn't come with one, so I figured I might as well try a cheap linear power supply to power both the DAC and the Pi. I have tried linear power supplies before like sBooster and Keces P3 and honestly, I don't think they made much difference but somehow it just feels better than using a generic wall wart. The cost was 50 USD shipped and for that price it will be at least fun to try.
From what I've read, you might just about get away with powering both from that one supply. You already have it, so nothing to lose by trying it.

Will you have a display on the PI? If so it puts a little lighting bolt top left of the display when it is struggling for power (you could perhaps just connect a monitor temporarily to check while you are first using it)

OP
Norville

Norville

From what I've read, you might just about get away with powering both from that one supply. You already have it, so nothing to lose by trying it.

Will you have a display on the PI? If so it puts a little lighting bolt top left of the display when it is struggling for power (you could perhaps just connect a monitor temporarily to check while you are first using it)
Hopefully it will work. Will have to wait for a few weeks before I get it. The DAC will also arrive in a few weeks.

I'm always running the Pi headless but I could hook up a monitor to see if the the lightning bolt appears.

Will certainly report back here once I try the set up. I'm going to use it with a Miltra OTL-PCL86 Tube amp with my headphones.

OP
Norville

Norville

I don't want to offend you, but if you have to ask such questions about a PSU, it's better not to come close to them, all the more if they are not properly certified. Remember that no one will help you should there be a malfunction, so just use the OEM adapters that come with your devices.
That was kind of offensive and presumptuous of you indeed. Every sentence starting with "I don't want to offend, but..." Should perhaps be rephrased.

Don't worry, I know what I'm doing but I appreciate the heads up.

unpluggged

That was kind of offensive and presumptuous of you indeed. Every sentence starting with "I don't want to offend, but..." Should perhaps be rephrased.

Don't worry, I know what I'm doing but I appreciate the heads up.
Disregard my post then and forgive me. I have deleted it.

Cool Runnings

How’s your experience so far? I bought a bunch of 5V and 12V LPS from BRZHIFI as well. Very well built And reasonably priced.

I’m not very electrical savvy. So I just play it safe and ensure the voltage and max amperes match the DACs, streamers and routers I’ve plugged them to.

So far so good. After a few weeks of use. My wifi looks to have improved Sound quality improvement could be placebo effect I’ll concede.

I hope some experts here can test BRZHIFI LPS unit and even vs some of the other well known brands that cost way more.

OP
Norville

Norville

How’s your experience so far? I bought a bunch of 5V and 12V LPS from BRZHIFI as well. Very well built And reasonably priced.

I’m not very electrical savvy. So I just play it safe and ensure the voltage and max amperes match the DACs, streamers and routers I’ve plugged them to.

So far so good. After a few weeks of use. My wifi looks to have improved Sound quality improvement could be placebo effect I’ll concede.

I hope some experts here can test BRZHIFI LPS unit and even vs some of the other well known brands that cost way more.
It's been working well. As you said, well built and feels good overall. The only problem is that it gets worringly hot when connected to two things. I'm only using it for my Soncoz head-amp at the moment and then it's cool to the touch. I did work with the E50 and the Rpi 3 together but as I said, it got hot. And if I used it with the Soncoz and the E50 at the same time, there was distorsion in the head amp. Provided you don't have spikes over 2 A it should work fine for any type of apparatus. I don't think I can hear any audible improvements, but it feels good.

OP
Norville

Norville

It's been working well. As you said, well built and feels good overall. The only problem is that it gets worringly hot when connected to two things. I'm only using it for my Soncoz head-amp at the moment and then it's cool to the touch. I did work with the E50 and the Rpi 3 together but as I said, it got hot. And if I used it with the Soncoz and the E50 at the same time, there was distorsion in the head amp. Provided you don't have spikes over 2 A it should work fine for any type of apparatus. I don't think I can hear any audible improvements, but it feels good.
Actually, come to think of it, I'm also using it with my logitech harmony hub for the extra usb-output, but that's very low powered, it's been working great so far.

Cool Runnings

Actually, come to think of it, I'm also using it with my logitech harmony hub for the extra usb-output, but that's very low powered, it's been working great so far.
Good to hear that. Their consistent quality is quite reassuring. I’m guessing they also OEM for other well known brands.

You should try it on wifi router and see if you also get better download speed. I saw that my Netflix loading is way faster right after I used it on my router which is Ethernet connected to my TV.

OP
Norville

Norville

Good to hear that. Their consistent quality is quite reassuring. I’m guessing they also OEM for other well known brands.

You should try it on wifi router and see if you also get better download speed. I saw that my Netflix loading is way faster right after I used it on my router which is Ethernet connected to my TV.
Interesting. Don't think my router runs on those voltages, but I'm curious how that works.

Cool Runnings

Interesting. Don't think my router runs on those voltages, but I'm curious how that works.
I think most routers run on 12V. I bought one12V LPS from BRZHIFI specifically to try for the routers. I used that on my main mesh router unit.

OP
Norville

Norville

I only have a 5V one. Not planning to buy another one but it sure made me curious.

gino1961

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Hi very interesting and thank you
Have you carried out any specific download speed tests using the linear PS ?

Top Bottom