• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adventures in USB isolation ...

gino1961

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you very much again
I will try another USB charger of better quality
I will use the cheaper dac as noise tester
Probably the USB charger I am using is low quality or defective because I hear noise very clearly

gino1961

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Typically, noise gets into the analog-side through the USB power. USB power (form a computer) is usually noisy (no problem for the digital audio data) and some computers are worse than others, and some interfaces are better filtered than others.... So you don't know which to blame. It's usually a high-pitch whine. It tends to be more of a problem on the ADC side of audio interfaces because the high-gain mic preamps amplify any noise.

It's not usually "ground loop noise" but it can be.

An interface with its own power supply should eliminate this possibility.

The problem is - You can't simply "use a different power supply" with a USB-powered device because you need the data and power connections.

But, linear or switching can be good.
The noise ("ripple") from a switching supply is high frequency and that makes it easier to filter-out. (You want to pass DC, which is zero-Hz, so the higher the frequency the better.) Plus it's usually above the audio range, whereas 50 or 60Hz (or the 100/120Hz harmonics) is obviously in the audio range.

A linear voltage regulator (purely DC) can help in either case and I've seen a circuit that was "double regulated" with a 2nd (lower voltage) linear regulator in series for the preamp or other "sensitive" circuitry.
Hi thank you very much for the very helpful information
The isolator I mentioned passes the data but allows the use of an external power supply
I will search for information on DC filters
Good to know that smps noise is mostly above 20kHz i.e. outside audio bandwidth
I wonder why smps are not more common at least in lower power consumption audio devices
They are so cheap and compact
Thanks again

Last edited:
Top Bottom